Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bstjunkie
Regular

July 2004
1ggze convert to 1ggte Tue, 19 October 2004 09:47 Go to next message
Hey Guys was wondering if a 1ggze can be converted to a 1ggte, because the 1ggze is also decompressed right???. Does anyone know the standard piston compression ratio for a 1ggze and a 1ggte??, also would it be just as powerful as the 1ggte if i decide to convert the gze to the gte??? Does anyone know if the two motors have the same pistons too, if not which one is stronger?? Any help would be much a preciated Smile ,

Cheers Kav
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Tue, 19 October 2004 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 1GGTE has 8.5:1 and 1GGZE has 8.0:1. In theory if you bolted a 1GGTE turbo setup it would make less power because of the lower compression.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Tue, 19 October 2004 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It'd also be easier to go and find a 1G-GTE with full loom etc...
bstjunkie
Regular

July 2004
Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Tue, 19 October 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 19 October 2004 19:55

The 1GGTE has 8.5:1 and 1GGZE has 8.0:1. In theory if you bolted a 1GGTE turbo setup it would make less power because of the lower compression.

But therefore i could run higher boost or strap on a bigger turbo???
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Tue, 19 October 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll have worse off-boost performance... My advice would be to just get a 1G-GTE, then worry about a larger single turbo.
bstjunkie
Regular

July 2004
Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Tue, 19 October 2004 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh less hassle Very Happy I think, thanks for the pointers Very Happy
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Tue, 19 October 2004 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No worries.

The 1G-GTE is pretty nice to drive around in... you get used to the minor lag (having driven only NA cars before I did my conversion) but a plumb back BOV and possibly some wastegate control can help fight that... as well as free-ing up the intake and exhaust!

Make sure you let us know how it goes!
bstjunkie
Regular

July 2004
Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Tue, 19 October 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh i havent got one yet, although im pretty interested in buying the ra23 1ggze in the for sale section, but being a super charger sorta puts me off, always been a turbo man Smile, so if i buy ill drive it for a while and get ready for the conversion if im not conviced by the supercharger Very Happy
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Tue, 19 October 2004 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I drove two AW11's... one was a NA, little pocket rocket! Then I drove a mint looking supercharged one... it was so much more torquey!!

If you're gonna leave the motor stock, it'll be a hard choice... if you want a bit more out of it, i'd be pushing towards the 1g-gte Razz
bstjunkie
Regular

July 2004
Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Tue, 19 October 2004 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes thats what im thinkin the 1ggte has more potiential i maybe wrong, oops hope this wont start a war Rolling Eyes .
bstjunkie
Regular

July 2004
Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Tue, 19 October 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wats the aw11's???, Ive heard 0-100 the gze is better but yeh then again, I think the 1ggte has more areas to expand modification wise.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Tue, 19 October 2004 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bstjunkie wrote on Tue, 19 October 2004 18:09

justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 19 October 2004 19:55

But therefore i could run higher boost or strap on a bigger turbo???

True in theory, but the days of low compression turbo motors are over. Nearly every factory turbo car will be over 8.5:1 and over. Remember, every psi of boost on the higher compression engine will equal more power than the equivalent psi on the lower one Razz
bstjunkie
Regular

July 2004
Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Tue, 19 October 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh in low boost, but not in higher i dont think, but pistons wont be able to take it higher anyways talkin mayb around 22psi , so the 1ggte would b betta of
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Tue, 19 October 2004 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's all in the tuning. That fact holds true at any boost level. The problem is having having good enough tuning, thats the key. As an aside though, with a turbo that is actually efficient at 22psi and a decent intercooler, the 1GGTE's 8.5:1 will be no issue whatsoever.
bstjunkie
Regular

July 2004
Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Tue, 19 October 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh ok, cheers mate Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Tue, 19 October 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're more than welcome Very Happy
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Wed, 20 October 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've stripped down a complete 1G-GTE engine alongside a 1G-GZE and there are enough small detail changes to make it absolutely not worth your while using the GZE motor as a base to build up a GTE one. (Piston's are the least of your concern).
Much better off buying a GTE and going the big single turbo path as has been said before.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Wed, 20 October 2004 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crankshafts are compatable... my GTE has a GZE crankshaft in it!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Wed, 20 October 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are the little differences? One of my favourite 1G's was a turbocharged 1GGZE in a Hilux Smile Looked neat.
bstjunkie
Regular

July 2004
Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Wed, 20 October 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
straight swap to the 1ggte it is then, if i get this car
bstjunkie
Regular

July 2004
Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Wed, 20 October 2004 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually if there is a 1ggze in it, could a ijzgte just drop stright in or does this envolve relocating the engine mounts and new cross member???
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Wed, 20 October 2004 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Totally different, and the engine is much larger, regardless of what anyone else says.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Wed, 20 October 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 1G will be plenty enough for a RA23 i'd imagine!

How much does a RA23 weigh anyway?
bstjunkie
Regular

July 2004
Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Wed, 20 October 2004 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know a ta23 with a 1ggte weighed in at 1007kgs
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Wed, 20 October 2004 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most people see 110-135kw from their 1g-gte's... from what i've read, using a manual tranny. Thats plenty enough power for a car that'll be around the 1000kg mark!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Wed, 20 October 2004 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, a Gen3 with a decent exhaust on 14psi should spit out around 150rwkw...makes for one quick little Celica.
bstjunkie
Regular

July 2004
Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Wed, 20 October 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh ive been in 1 b4, with a 1ggte and one with a 7mgte, 7mgte was obviously more powerful couldnt tell u to much about it cause i was about 6 years ago when i was 12-13, except was a pretty tight fit under the bonnet there was fan marks on the radiator Laughing , 1ggte one was around 130rwkw the g-force just didnt do it for me so if i get the 1ggte ill bolt on a bigger turbo. Very Happy , hopefully dont wana be one of those people who says there going to do this and that etc if u know what i mean, hehe
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Wed, 20 October 2004 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 20 October 2004 15:57

What are the little differences? One of my favourite 1G's was a turbocharged 1GGZE in a Hilux Smile Looked neat.

The differences related to all the bracketry, lines, loom, plugs and sensors for just about every ancillary component that hung off the engine. I found that even the fuel line to the filter differed between the two engines I was working on. You would have to find and fit almost all the gear you needed from a GTE motor anyway, so it does not make it worth the effort. Much easier to buy and start with a 1G-GTE in the first place.

Twin charged Hilux ?
Noiiiiiiice.
Smile
If that was what I ever wanted to do I would definately start with a GZE motor and T that rather than start with a T motor and Z that to give a 1G-GTZE.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Wed, 20 October 2004 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Wed, 20 October 2004 16:04

The 1G will be plenty enough for a RA23 i'd imagine!

How much does a RA23 weigh anyway?

With just over half a tank of gas my standard RA23 tips the scales at 1080kg.
bstjunkie
Regular

July 2004
Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Fri, 22 October 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any1 know if a 1ggte would drop straight in with no hassles as in relocating engine mounts etc, in a ra23 which had 1ggze in it???
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Fri, 22 October 2004 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry to hijack here BST but i have a question for yaal, bit of a rice issue but I have been offered a very very nice pair of valve covers from a 1GGE, they are polished and all the writing has been repainted and they look an absolute TREAT! Very Happy

to the point: Will they fit onto my 1GGTE?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ggze convert to 1ggte Fri, 22 October 2004 10:18 Go to previous message
Yes they will fit the engine no worries, but you won't be able to fill the oil Razz The oil filler for the 1GGE ones are at the front, right under where the factory IC pipe passes.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Would an unbalanced wheel cause bearing failure?
Next Topic:im sorry but can sum one please tell me wat spark plugs a 18rg uses
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:04:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0079300403594971 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.