Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ARRRGG 1jz Fuel cut deffender help!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
icon8.gif  ARRRGG 1jz Fuel cut deffender help!! Wed, 20 October 2004 03:36 Go to next message
http://www.option1garage.com.au/images/p7230009.jpg

Was wondering if anyone could tell me how well this unit will work on a JZZ30 soarer. I've had mixed feedback from people I've talked to.

Any help would be good. Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 28 October 2004 11:54]

Send a private message to this user    
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: fuel cut deffender Wed, 20 October 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what i have read there are two types. One that will disable boost cut altogether and one that will raise it a little. if you are buying one to stop hitting boost cut, then it is a good idea, but if you are buying it to run big boost it isn't a good idea as the MAP sensor only reads to 1bar.
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: fuel cut deffender Wed, 20 October 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see , this is just to get rid of boost cut , its gonna be run with an avcr and safc II. I don't think i mentioned its auto, does that make a difference?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: fuel cut deffender Wed, 20 October 2004 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shouldn't as it just gets wired to the MAP sensor as far as I am aware.

also, do a search on 40c fuel cut defender as there was a huge discussion about them a while back.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: fuel cut deffender Wed, 20 October 2004 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Wed, 20 October 2004 13:39

shouldn't as it just gets wired to the MAP sensor as far as I am aware.

also, do a search on 40c fuel cut defender as there was a huge discussion about them a while back.

i just did a search and came up with fuggal? Sad
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: fuel cut deffender Wed, 20 October 2004 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This unit seems to have 4 wires, but maybe yours grounds itself when you mount it (and hence no black wire)
http://www.hksusa.com/info/download.asp?id=1793#
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: fuel cut deffender Wed, 20 October 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im pretty sure the apexi rsm remove all cuts
ie. boost cut and speed cut
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: fuel cut deffender Wed, 20 October 2004 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my bad
it only removes speed cut
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: fuel cut deffender Wed, 20 October 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try "fcd" in search Smile
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: fuel cut deffender Wed, 20 October 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the other fuel cut threads title has "1JZ fuel cut" in it , just search for that. Yeah i saw there as no earth wire maybe its just not visible in the photo. Does anyone know if this unit raises the cut level or eliminates it? It looks like it has a winder on it.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: fuel cut deffender Wed, 20 October 2004 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im pretty sure you can raise the cut level or cut it completely
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: fuel cut deffender Wed, 20 October 2004 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.mr2.com/ARTICLE/HKSFCDat.html

very helpful article, It mentions settings on the fcd so he must be using a newer version with pre-determind leves. The one I have just turns to raise cut level i guess, making it adjustable
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: fuel cut deffender Wed, 20 October 2004 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i found it cheers Very Happy

doesnt really help as im not the biggest tech head there is and it doesnt really explain how to do it for an AFM car, however if someone figues it out (/me looks in JCMF's direction) ill gladly take some instructions off thier hands and throw them a nice crisp $20 note Very Happy
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: fuel cut deffender Wed, 20 October 2004 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try downloading the pdf on this page http://www.hksusa.com/info/download.asp?id=1793#

It explains how to do it (which is relevant to cars with an AFM). As far as I know AFM cars still have a map sensor (or sometimes called a boost sensor) as they need this to control fuel cut etc, they just don't use it for fuel maps.
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: fuel cut deffender Fri, 22 October 2004 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img61.exs.cx/img61/8462/DSC05386.jpg

The thing has arrived, I've looked around for installation instructions relative to MAP sensored cars as its goin on a 1JZ.
DAVEDAVE, it does have a black wire just wasnt visible in the other photo. Does anyone have any experiance fitting these on an engine similar to mine?

Any help would be appreciated.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fuel cut deffender Fri, 22 October 2004 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks similar to the VFCC I installed on my 2JZ... little black box with 4 wires sticking out. One for +12v (probably the red wire), one for earth (probably the black), one for MAP signal in and one for MAP signal out. You're going to have problems wiring this thing up if you don't know which wire is which, although I suppose you could try the trial-and-error method!
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: fuel cut deffender Fri, 22 October 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I remember seeing on Manny's site a diagram of how to install them. I have it downloaded at home but I am at work ATM. Don't know the site unfortunately Sad
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: fuel cut deffender Fri, 22 October 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Fri, 22 October 2004 13:03

I remember seeing on Manny's site a diagram of how to install them. I have it downloaded at home but I am at work ATM. Don't know the site unfortunately Sad

If you could find that it'd be a great help, if you have it downloaded could you possibly email it to me? at skullomaniatheone@hotmail.com really, really appreciate it if you could thanks

davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: fuel cut deffender Fri, 22 October 2004 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave wrote on Thu, 21 October 2004 08:22

Try downloading the pdf on this page http://www.hksusa.com/info/download.asp?id=1793#

It explains how to do it (which is relevant to cars with an AFM). As far as I know AFM cars still have a map sensor (or sometimes called a boost sensor) as they need this to control fuel cut etc, they just don't use it for fuel maps.

I don't know why I'm quoting myself, I'm by no means an expert on the matter.... But I don't think there'd be a difference between an AFM or MAP installation. Both need to report the Manifold Absolute Pressure back to the ecu, you just need to intercept that wire with your FCD. The HKS downloadable manual on that link I mentioned explains it.

The important bit:
Connect the red wire to a power source
Connect the black wire to a ground source
Cut pressure sensor or air flow signal wire. Connect the yellow wire to the wire going to the factory ECU. Connect the white wire to the wire going away from the ECU.

Logic tells me that you wouldn't connect it to the AFM as the FCD just alters the signal being sent, and I don't think you want your car thinking it is getting less air flow. I'd be finding the MAP sensor and using that.
Acutally, for cars that don't have an AFM. Wouldn't the FCD tricking the car in to thinking it has less boost than it does, cause it to lean it out? Can someone who knows what they're on about please speak up Smiley =
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: fuel cut deffender Fri, 22 October 2004 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks a lot for the help i have a fair idea of what to do now , but anyone with other ideas are welcome
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: fuel cut deffender Thu, 28 October 2004 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ARGGGG

I have found a ECU pin out thing and to my surprise there are 3 map sensors signals going to the ECU whcih one do i use the FCD on ? I'm very confused
Confused
HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
Re: ARRRGG 1jz Fuel cut deffender help!! Sun, 31 October 2004 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You cant raise the fuel cut level on the 1JZ., you can only remove it.

The 1JZ fuel cut level is *just* beow the voltage limit of the map. this means that there is no headroom left for the FCD to raise cut to.

So, dont expect to raise it, just remove it.. and have no safety cutoff left Very Happy

Anthony Kellam
Regular

July 2002
Re: ARRRGG 1jz Fuel cut deffender help!! Sun, 31 October 2004 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

tyottsoarer, you want to intercept the wire called PIM on the loom (usually light green or light green/red trace).

Hedgehog, An FCD never takes the ECU into "further mapping", it's not about that. It simply clamps the output voltage of the MAP sensor or AFM so it cant go above (or below) a preset voltage. As boost passes this preset point (say 14 psi) the ECU will keep supplying fuel for this level.

On most cars tuning is OK because things are already a little rich by default and as the exta boost raises fuel pressure the injectors pass more fuel for a given opening time, thus keeping an upward trend in fuel delivery.

Clearly, its a little hit and miss and things can be made better with a rising rate fuel pressure reg. But the important thing to remember is that an FCD "clamps" the ECU at what it thinks is a safe level, it does not unlock any higher tuning maps....
HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
Re: ARRRGG 1jz Fuel cut deffender help!! Mon, 01 November 2004 08:32 Go to previous message
Anthony Kellam wrote on Sun, 31 October 2004 22:17

Hedgehog, An FCD never takes the ECU into "further mapping", it's not about that. It simply clamps the output voltage of the MAP sensor or AFM so it cant go above (or below) a preset voltage. As boost passes this preset point (say 14 psi) the ECU will keep supplying fuel for this level.

yes i know, that isnt what i was saying. I was saying that you cant *raise* the fuel cut level on the 1JZ with an FCD that has a raised fuel cut feature.

eg on the 2JZ you can raise the fuel cutpoint, as the fuel cut on the 2JZ is about 4.3 volts, so you still have 0.7 volts left to trigger an overboost fuel cut with the right FCD. However, you cant do this on the 1JZ system because stock fuel cut is near the limit of the map sensor ie about 4.9 volts,leaving very little voltage range left in order to a secondary overboost cutoff.

[Updated on: Mon, 01 November 2004 08:40]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 RCA Install
Next Topic:Serpentine Belt Tensioners
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 15:12:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055868625640869 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.