Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Car clubs = popular culture?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Car clubs = popular culture? Wed, 20 October 2004 11:44 Go to next message
I'm doing an assignment for uni and was wondering as to whether you would classify car clubs as popular culture? Any views on this would be appreciated, if you can back it up your argument it would be good, but i've already got a few sources to look at.

just thought that this would be a lot more interesting than talking about fashion hahaha

cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car clubs = popular culture? Wed, 20 October 2004 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
certainly you could make an argument about car "modifying" to be a part of pop culture, esp to the extent that people go for factory fitted body kits, factory mags, and then you can go into a/m stuff.

good to see I'm not the only one doing assingments at stupid o'clock
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car clubs = popular culture? Thu, 21 October 2004 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

certainly you could make an argument about car "modifying" to be a part of pop culture, esp to the extent that people go for factory fitted body kits, factory mags, and then you can go into a/m stuff.

I agree, the humble automobile is as much a fashion accessory as it is a means of transport these days.

Movies about "car clubs/groups/gangs" eg Fast and the Furious that have made it through main stream theatres are a good indication that car culture is a part of popular culture.
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Car clubs = popular culture? Thu, 21 October 2004 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice to see some people agree with me on the topic, in some ways i see car clubs etc are to guys(and some girls) what shopping/fashion is to others...
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: Car clubs = popular culture? Thu, 21 October 2004 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The fashion side would be the ricers, although i take pride in the way my car looks aswell as performs. Does that make me a semi ricer?
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Car clubs = popular culture? Thu, 21 October 2004 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clown wrote on Thu, 21 October 2004 16:05

The fashion side would be the ricers, although i take pride in the way my car looks aswell as performs. Does that make me a semi ricer?

Our cars look a bit rice to begin with. But thats cool. Id rather drive an AW11 than a Hyundai or a jizzed up HSV (they all look GHEY!) for that matter.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car clubs = popular culture? Thu, 21 October 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clown wrote on Thu, 21 October 2004 14:05

Nah a ricer is someone who does something and makes it look stupid or adversely affect performance by trying to make it look like something it isnt.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Car clubs = popular culture? Thu, 21 October 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wouldnt say that the TOymods Car Club could be called popular culture, because the nature of our social club has been around for 20 years +, just in other forms.

Yes there is now the "popular culture" of car "modifying", but the atmosphere and nature of the actual toymods car club is far more about being a social group, out there to help each other out with a common passion for one car.

Personally, i would look more at online car forums as being popular culture these days. It has made it so easy for a large group of people (in the thousands) to stay in touch with one another and share views, opinions, ideas and assistance and organise meetings and events. Just look at all the car forums sprouting EVERYWHERE! There is almost a forum for every car nowdays, sometimes more.

eg:
Toymods
Twincam.org
Performance forums
nissanpulsar.org
luxtreme
QLDstreetcar
hot4's/fastfours (eek)
autoyotaownersclub
classiccelica
celica supra
etc
etc
etc
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Car clubs = popular culture? Thu, 21 October 2004 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 21 October 2004 18:08

Clown wrote on Thu, 21 October 2004 14:05

Nah a ricer is someone who does something and makes it look stupid or adversely affect performance by trying to make it look like something it isnt.

like rebuilding a 5m-e? Sad
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Car clubs = popular culture? Thu, 21 October 2004 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont forget to touch on the car scene in some unexpected countries like.....malaysia!! yes its bloody hot there!!

And also, u can also talk about the road regulations, import rules etc... that is detrimental to car enthusiast/culture....u know what i mean
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car clubs = popular culture? Thu, 21 October 2004 13:14 Go to previous message
I can't add anything except to say 'stick with what you know'

I did an economics report on the rising oil prices & how that impacted the demand for new cars, believe it or not I got 100% for a Uni assignment Shocked
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:pictures of my ex
Next Topic:HSC!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 08:09:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055949687957764 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.