Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rcodea
Regular

June 2004
77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Mon, 18 October 2004 19:09 Go to next message
I have a 77 GT coupe that I was hoping to get some serious information and suggestions about. I am starting this project in the next couple of months. I was hoping to get some help as to making plans and getting a parts list going.

First I am interested in a LSD. I don't want anything like the silicone/friction ones. I am looking for the gear ones. Any ideas, or is this even an option? I am going to put around 300hp and 300 ft-lbs through it.

Then I am looking to do a full performance suspension. New springs, shocks, sway bars, poly bushings, anything that I will need to get the job done. I don't know what rates and all I need though. This car is a daily driver, but I need something that will allow me to take flat corners and not bash me to death. And I might go with a 1"; drop all around too, I am not sure yet.

So I guess what I am hoping to get is your best suggestions as to making a great all around performance car. I need something that will be great in the quarter mile, but amazing in the corners, but still comfortable as a daily driver. I have the engine taken care of, just need the suspension to finish this off.

Thanks guys

Ryan

[Updated on: Mon, 18 October 2004 19:10]

Send a private message to this user    
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Mon, 18 October 2004 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't want much, do you? the diff that you're after is a Torsen type. search teh google
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Mon, 18 October 2004 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Are you seriously modding a rare, genuine GT coupe? Or, is it an LT and you've put some GT badges on it and trying to make your own GT?

seeyuzz
river
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Mon, 18 October 2004 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good quarter mile car, good circuit car, and good daily driver car all at the same time - that's not a tall order, that's plain old impossible. Suspension setup is always a compromise - you can tip the scales in one direction or the other, but you can't have everything! I think you'd better be a little more realistic with your goals before we can offer you any real advice.

As for the diff, if you have that sort of power you're going to need something fairly strong if you want it to last. If it's a JDM GT it may already have a 7.5" F series diff, but if it's a lame US-spec pretend-GT it will be a 6.7" T series diff. The F diff is strong enough, the T diff will snap like a twig. So if you have a T diff (check your build plate) it's time for a diff conversion - then you can think about LSD centres.

If you have an F diff the LSD bit is easy - just buy a TrueTrac centre (helical gear type LSD) and it will slot right in. I have one of these in my 84 Supra and it's highly recommended. I will also be putting one in my 77 RA23 Celica after I've done the diff conversion (MX23 axle).
rcodea
Regular

June 2004
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Tue, 19 October 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright, I apologize for my vagueness. This car is a US GT, not a JDM. I am looking for a compromise that will lean me more toward the comfortable daily driver. I want the best improvement in the corners, but I don’t want it to suddenly become a peace of junk in the quarter-mile.

From what I have been told so far, my best bet is to go with WhiteLine parts, since they are about the only company that makes all the parts.

I don’t know suspension, that’s the simple truth. I can do engines and electrical and paint and almost everything but suspension. I am lost as to what makes a car better for the road vs strip. All I do know is that my car is not as sporty as I want it to be. But I don’t want to be having back surgery in the next 5 years because of the car’s ride quality.

Thanks again for putting up with me, I don’t mean to be so stupid, I just simply don’t know where to start.

Ryan
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Wed, 20 October 2004 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it a ra40 or a ra28??

what engine??
rcodea
Regular

June 2004
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Wed, 20 October 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a ra24, '77, the 2 door kind, not the liftback

Ryan
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Wed, 20 October 2004 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont u mean ra28??
midway through 77 they introduced the ra40, after the 28
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Wed, 20 October 2004 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you read his previous post, it's a US-spec car... they didn't have the same models as us.
rcodea
Regular

June 2004
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Wed, 20 October 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ya i know what you are saying. my car is just like the ra23, just the US version.

Ryan
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Wed, 20 October 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you know about these forums?

http://www.classic-celica.com/modules.php?name=For ums

Its US based, so youll proabably get more information abot whats avaliable in the USA.
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Wed, 20 October 2004 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your best bet for a lsd would probably be from a mk1 supra imp pretty sure these were a f series with disc brakes. Still need to modify the diff to fit though.

Daniel
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Thu, 21 October 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unfortunately most Mk1 Supra's had a T series diff, but yeah if you can find one with an F diff that would be the way to go.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Thu, 21 October 2004 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the other list I'm a member of the early Hilux RN10 - 13 is very common in US breaking yards and you can score the 1370mm G series diff from one of those. Get a G series LSD from a later model Hilux, install this, transfer over your axle suspension mounting brackets and George is your President.
rcodea
Regular

June 2004
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Fri, 22 October 2004 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, what i am being told is that the best thing for me is to get a G series from a 2WD truck from the 70's, which i am guessing is the RN10-13 according to RA23celica, and swap out the ring gears as i desire. then for the LSD, there are a few good option that are right what i am wanting, or is it already have a helical gear LSD in it? my last question is to what i should use to mount the case. if i am not mistaken, the case tubes are different between the 6.7" and the G series, so would it be better if i actually make new mounts out of steel, or just modify the 6.7" mounts to fit?

Ryan

[Updated on: Fri, 22 October 2004 05:07]

ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Fri, 22 October 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man, what 23 is saying, is to buy a complete live axle assembly from the HiLux, have all the brackets removed, and then have your Celica brackets attached to the housing. (Simple stuff for a pro engineering shop) After spending your money on the conversion, you just bolt the assembly into your Celica.

regards Chuck.
rcodea
Regular

June 2004
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Fri, 22 October 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does the Hilux already have the helical gears in it then? i have seen a picture that appears taht it just might already have it in there from the factory. this is my last question, and i prommise i will go away.

Ryan
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Fri, 22 October 2004 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does all this stuff apply to TA-23s as well? I'm only looking to put about 120kW @ engine and 200Nm so I guess in terms of the power I'm putting out and knowing that I need to keep the car light should I go for a sprinter LSD/rear end (T series???)
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Sat, 23 October 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Early Hilux's will have an open diff (I've never seen one with a factory LSD) and to my knowledge all the later-model Hilux LSD centres are clutch-type, not helical. If you want a helical LSD you'll need to get a second-hand one from a JZA70 Supra, or buy a new one like the TrueTrac.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Sat, 23 October 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDBoy - mate while my 3t-gte was making 145rwkw or so the T series diff was fine never had a problem.

Then when it started making 167rwkw I went through 3 diffs in a matter of weeks.. So the limit seems to be somewhere between 145 - 167 Wink

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Sat, 23 October 2004 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Witzl just posted photos of his latest T series victim... and he has substantially less than 145rwkw! Driving style is just as important as outright power, although with components of this age luck plays a major part as well.

I think I can say with some confidence that a T diff will NOT live long and prosper with 300hp and 300ft-lb though. Smile
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Sat, 23 October 2004 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess it probably depends what kind of clutch I have as well etc. The car will only see occasional track action so I guess some level of high load and harsh treatment will be in order. I should look at grabbing a G-series rear end and adapting it to like the springs/shock set up of a '23 ey?

I also haven't heard of any Hilux with a gear-type LSD. Only clutch-type/viscous type LSDs.

btw - how the heck would you get a JZ rear diff/end into the '23?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Sun, 24 October 2004 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I put a F series from a MKII corona in my 28. Didn't like the idea of all the extra unsprung weight from the G series. I got a torsen lsd centre for it also which was from a group buy here on Toymods.

Cheers
Joel
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 77 GT Celi coupe perfprmance suspension and LSD Sun, 24 October 2004 23:35 Go to previous message
FWDboy wrote on Sun, 24 October 2004 00:44

btw - how the heck would you get a JZ rear diff/end into the '23?

I was talking about the diff centre. All G series centres are interchangeable, whether they came from a live-axle or IRS car.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Left handside driver to right handside driver
Next Topic:ST162 Front Speakers
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 22:48:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060679912567139 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.