Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » a problem that no one can work out.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
a problem that no one can work out. Mon, 18 October 2004 05:35 Go to next message
Sorry it's not a toyota, but worth a try.

My step dad has a 4wd subaru 1800, and since he buaght it, it made a bad vibration or bad bearing type of noise once upto 60km/h +.

first thought was a wheel bearing, got new bearings but the noise persists, ok CV joints maybe, subaru's are well known for weak CV's that wear out exrtra quick, all CV's replaced, noise persists.
Right it must be in the gearbox! I spent 2 days taking out the gearbox and putting another one in. NOISE PERSISTS! disc's aren't touching anything, brake pads aren't stuck. What else could it be?

Tried putting it into nuetral, and also putting the cluth in, that didn't change anything, handbrake isn't the problem. We're both really stumped on this one. Thinking about taking it to an engine dyno so we can look/hear where the noise is comming from while the car is under load.

any other ideas what it could be?
  Send a private message to this user    
Adam_Rolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

February 2004
Re: a problem that no one can work out. Mon, 18 October 2004 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drive train?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: a problem that no one can work out. Mon, 18 October 2004 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
loose suspension component or broken engine mounts?
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: a problem that no one can work out. Mon, 18 October 2004 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it will be an engine mount or the driveshaft uni's... pretty common failures for that car.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: a problem that no one can work out. Mon, 18 October 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the driveshaft has been replaced with one from the parts car, but the engine mounts is a possibilty, altho why wouldn't it make that noise from just revving the engine?

hmmm another thing to note is that my step dad said the noise would quiten when turning left, wich sounds exactly like a wheel bearing! he has replaced them 3 times and still no change. All the so called experts put it down to the gearbox. But i've ruled that out by putting a perfectly fine gearbox in.

Maybe the tire's themselves are genarating the noise? i'll go check, and i'll have another check at the suspension too. thanx for the suggestions.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: a problem that no one can work out. Mon, 18 October 2004 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
had the wheels balanced lately? has one thrown a weight?
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: a problem that no one can work out. Mon, 18 October 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm that's something i haven't thought of. But i'd expect i would feel the vibration thru the steering wheel, wich isn't the case.

Pure_In_Sanity
Regular

October 2004
Re: a problem that no one can work out. Mon, 18 October 2004 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check the engine mounts for sagging, Have had a commodoore doing the same thing, replaced many parts, couldnt find. ended up being the engine mounts saging a little so that the sump was touching the crossmember underneath the steel bash plate. vibration came through everywhere - brakes, suspension, steering and transmission. Could not see, but could feel no gap when feeling with fingers. New mounts - drove like a new car!

Good luck
- Phil
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: a problem that no one can work out. Mon, 18 October 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drive train (to rear) out of balance?
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: a problem that no one can work out. Mon, 18 October 2004 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the noise seems to eminate from the front, it has all the classic symptoms of a wheel bearing, except it just can't be now that we have put brand new ones in both sides a few times now.

The engine mounts could be it tho! they are old and soft. But what i don't understand is why the vibrating noise only when driving? and not just revving the engine at a standstill.

whoever is right i owe them a carton of beer (your choice) now you'll have to wait til i or my step dad are next in your area of course Razz (he's going on a trip around australia in his subaru)

it's Frustring us to the max, he's a engineer and a great mechanic, and i'm not too bad myself, yet this is one mystery problem that has persisted for about half a year now.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 October 2004 10:48]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: a problem that no one can work out. Mon, 18 October 2004 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could even be real simple, like the exhaust rubbing somewhere Evil or Very Mad
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: a problem that no one can work out. Mon, 18 October 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had kind of simmilar problem....check weights on tail shaft, sometimes smart ass people get the magnetic wheel weights and stick em on ur tail shaft...and think its funny.....not so funny when u make them eat it!!! Evil or Very Mad so yeah...check if one of the tail shaft weights hasnt fallen off (or appeared) , i assume the tail shaft is 2 pce?

Adam
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: a problem that no one can work out. Mon, 18 October 2004 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vibration when driving and not while reving engine implies that it's occurring when the engine is under load. So soft engine mounts may be letting the engine move too much when under load and hence letting something rub.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: a problem that no one can work out. Tue, 19 October 2004 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thanx, you guys have given me some more things to try out.
My step dad is actually building a dyno, well not a proper one, just one so he can put the subuaru on rollers and so he can hear where the noise is coming from without bieng in the car and driving along which makes it hard to diagnose.

i tell you what if it turns out to be something so simple were going to commit suicide! kidding
i owe a carton of beer if any of you guys hit the nail on the head with the problem. Will keep you's updated. Hopefully tonight.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: a problem that no one can work out. Thu, 21 October 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well we made a set of rollers to put the wheels on, and got the tires spinning up to about 80km/h where the noise starts, problem is the rollers make too much noise to hear anything else. DOH! gonna try coating them in rubber material.

Anyway we noticed the right front wheel was wobbeling abit, and we traced that wobble to the right tie rod balljoint wich was worn to buggery. Put another good one in and that stopped the wobble in the wheel, but guess what that fucking Vibration/noise is still there!

So frustrating. We now know it is not engine mounts, as you can just hit the clutch and put it in neutral and the engine revs die down, yet the noise is relative to KM/h speeds. So it's back to changing them fuckin wheel bearings AGAIN for the millionth time and hopeing the noise goes away! I'm taking measurements with a digital caliper to make sure parts going into the car are the same size as original parts, as subaru always change sizes on there parts from year to year. So far we found they changed the length of theCV joints by about 5mm going from one year to the next, but that did not cuase the noise.

Also the noise does sound like it's coming from the front, but it's actually hard to tell, i'd say the noise is in the 100hz bass range, where you can't really tell where the noise is coming from.

Also becuase the subaru is front wheel drive until you put the gearbox ito 4wd mode, we took the driveshaft out and put a plastic bag with rubber bands to stop oil leaking out the back of the gearbox and took it for a drive. Yep noise still there so driveshaft is out of the equation too.

going mad over this! Mad

[Updated on: Thu, 21 October 2004 02:10]

Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: a problem that no one can work out. Thu, 21 October 2004 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was having the same sort of problem in my ute, turned out the bolts were breaking off in the flange where the tailshaft meets the diff, before this http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=402032&rid=4855&S=3d0df93bc688a5c7cfcc 27db4960bae9 happened i thought it was universal joints, never expected what it really was lol, I know this doesnt help much as u say its coming from the front, goodluck with it tho.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: a problem that no one can work out. Thu, 21 October 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Dust, wow that is pretty lucky you wern't going too fast when that happened, can't trust mechanics, the only mechanic i will trust with my car is me.

thanx for the support Smile
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: a problem that no one can work out. Fri, 29 October 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well problem finally solved. *bangs head* was a wheel bearing, but it was on the other side, it doesn't add up, as the bearing would make noise when load was taken off it, instead of when under load! anyway here is what the bearing looks like cut open, and just a warning be real careful doing this, as they release a lot of force when cut open.

http://members.dodo.net.au/~urantiacjd/IMG_3532.jpg
http://members.dodo.net.au/~urantiacjd/IMG_3534.jpg
http://members.dodo.net.au/~urantiacjd/IMG_3535.jpg
http://members.dodo.net.au/~urantiacjd/IMG_3536.jpg
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: a problem that no one can work out. Fri, 29 October 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Fri, 29 October 2004 18:41

well problem finally solved. *bangs head* was a wheel bearing, but it was on the other side, it doesn't add up, as the bearing would make noise when load was taken off it, instead of when under load! anyway here is what the bearing looks like cut open, and just a warning be real careful doing this, as they release a lot of force when cut open.

http://members.dodo.net.au/~urantiacjd/IMG_3532.jpg
http://members.dodo.net.au/~urantiacjd/IMG_3534.jpg
http://members.dodo.net.au/~urantiacjd/IMG_3535.jpg
http://members.dodo.net.au/~urantiacjd/IMG_3536.jpg

Well done, so who gets the beer

Cheers

Steve
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: a problem that no one can work out. Fri, 29 October 2004 14:32 Go to previous message
ah well it looks like the carton of beer goes to me Very Happy
But i should send you all a beer in the mail too. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:cam gear rotation direction
Next Topic:What's the Thermostat setup in the 4AGTE article???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 18:45:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010251998901367 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.