Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Spark plug gap for a Standard 4age 20 valve

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
4age20v
Newcomer

October 2004
Spark plug gap for a Standard 4age 20 valve Sat, 16 October 2004 08:32 Go to next message
I have recently taken ownership of a ae92 that has had a 20 valve conversion. I think that the spark plug gaps are way to sus. I do not have a workshop manual for the engine and so do not know what they should be set at. I am thinking around 1.1mm but I want to be sure.

Does any one know what the sparks should be set at, and also where I can get a workshop manual for the 4age 20 valve.

Any help would be great.
  Send a private message to this user    
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Re: Spark plug gap for a Standard 4age 20 valve Thu, 21 October 2004 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Recommended gap is 1.1mm, max is 1.3mm.

I did some searching and downloaded a blacktop manual off the net, but can't remember where, possibly one of the us toyota/4age sites?
4age20v
Newcomer

October 2004
Re: Spark plug gap for a Standard 4age 20 valve and tuning tips Thu, 21 October 2004 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks dude. I thought so. I found that figure quoted for a standard 4age16v, but wanted to make sure it wasn't vastly different for the 20 valve.

I am interested in opening her up a little but definatly staying Naturaly Aspirated. I was thinking about trying to bring the air filters back onto the throttle bodies, but since it's a silver top I think I might run into problem with the air flow sensor. It already has an adequate exhaust/header combo.

Perhaps some mild cam work??

Any ideas of where to start??
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Re: Spark plug gap for a Standard 4age 20 valve Thu, 21 October 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the blacktop manual is in tech docs, check there.

As for mods, to put filters on throttles you'd need aftermarket management to ditch the afm and run a map sensor, and you'd just end up sucking hot air unless you ran a cold air feed to them. Might as well just set up a good cold feed to standard airbox, or have you got a pod on the afm? If so enclose it and feed it the fresh stuff.

What headers/exhaust are you running?
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: Spark plug gap for a Standard 4age 20 valve Thu, 21 October 2004 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that you will find that spark plugs are designed to run at a certain gap. When you get the plug have a look in the product manual as the plug number will also specify the gap for that plug. Sooo you can get a range of plugs that will fit you car - just make sure that you get the plug that is designed to worl at that gap. For example my 1ggte standard has a plug with a 1mm gap. When the new turbo setup was fitted the tuner moved to a plag (that looked the same) but had a .7mm gap. This was to cater for the increase in boost.

Craig

Craig
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Re: Spark plug gap for a Standard 4age 20 valve Fri, 22 October 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats right, and with his standard 20V he wants a 1.1mm gap.
4age20v
Newcomer

October 2004
Re: Spark plug gap for a Standard 4age 20 valve Sun, 24 October 2004 00:45 Go to previous message
Yeah, the gap would definitely vary depending upon whether the engine was running boost. But for a standard engine 1.1 seems to be the correct gap. 1.1 is the gap recommended for the 16v. I was unsure whether this would vary for the 20v, as a result of different comp. ratios or other differences but it seems that the gap should be around the same.

As for the engine itself, its the silver top. I'm not really going to work it much. It's running some aftermarket headers 4-2-1, but I'm unsure as to what manufacturer. I have popped a K&N pod on. I am interested in grabbing maybe just a couple more horses.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Why a T series diff is NOT a good option for a 4age or better (pics and Video)
Next Topic:corolla brakes
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 01:39:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050702095031738 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.