Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Wed, 20 October 2004 03:35 Go to next message
Never changed oil seals before, can anyone give me a sort of step by step? And things i should be careful of and avoid?

Might sound silly to most of you, but I am tryin to learn here Smile

Cheers

Dust
  Send a private message to this user    
RG65
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Wed, 20 October 2004 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends on what seal you are changing. check to see if there is a grove in the shaft, if there is then just changing the seal wont stop the leak. make sure you put grease in the seal where it sits on the shaft. apart from that just make sure you put it back together the way you took it apart
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Wed, 20 October 2004 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get yourself a seal puller from Supercheap or something, make it easy for yourself. Carefully remove the old seal. Check the bit where the seal was and make sure it's all neat. If so, put a bit of oil on the outside and inside edges, get a socket the same as the outer diameter of the seal, and gently tap it in with a small hammer.
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Thu, 21 October 2004 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thnx fr the replies, went to supercheap, couldnt find it so i asks for one, all I got was a blanks stare then he says no we dont have any, so I go to Autobarn across the road and he says nah, nobody stocks those cause everyone just uses a screwdriver :/

I am not even sure what they look like, anyone got a pic?
colouring_in_book
Regular

May 2004
Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Thu, 21 October 2004 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is what one looks like, however this will not remove the seals that you wish to remove.
As displayed in the picture.

http://img98.exs.cx/img98/8568/IMG_02191.jpg

What you are best off doing, is carefully tapping a small thin screwdriver between the seal and the housing in which it sits and then lever it out.

When refitting you should put oil on the lip of the seal, but not on the outer edge as they can rdie up the cam or crankshaft and come out. Make sure that the seal is in equally all the way round and take note of how far in the seal was in before you pull it out, just incase when you remove the old seal, it has a groove in the shaft, then you will be able to determine how far to put the new seal in.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 October 2004 03:15]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Thu, 21 October 2004 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colouring_in_book wrote on Thu, 21 October 2004 11:07

This is what one looks like, however this will not remove the seals that you wish to remove.

1) He didn't say which seals he was trying to remove, and 2) if he's replacing thhe oil pump, cam, front main, rear main seals like I think hes talking about, it will work fine.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Thu, 21 October 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 21 October 2004 11:48

1) He didn't say which seals he was trying to remove, and 2) if he's replacing thhe oil pump, cam, front main, rear main seals like I think hes talking about, it will work fine.

Or the spigot bearing Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Thu, 21 October 2004 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And it'll even remove the spigot bearing if you're feeling really creative Very Happy
RG65
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Thu, 21 October 2004 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want i can get you one of those seal pickers for about $16. what part of brise are you from.
colouring_in_book
Regular

May 2004
Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Thu, 21 October 2004 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok....frank! Rolling Eyes
The 1GG he was talking about must be a differential of some sort. Rolling Eyes
However as a mechanic, you cannot safely remove a garter lip type seal anywhere on the engine with a shaft still inside of it, without marking the shaft, they are primarily for open seals, such as a driveshaft seal or the like as shown in the picture.
You can also remove spiggots with it yes.
But not a seal that still has a shaft inside of it!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Thu, 21 October 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Riiight, I might not be a mechanic, but from the side on, the seal puller looks marvelously like a nice small sharp screwdriver with the perfect curve for...wait for it...pulling out a seal Rolling Eyes

I may not be a mechanic, but telling me something I've already done and insinuating I'm stupid in the process doesn't sound too smart.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Thu, 21 October 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And, for the record, my 1GGTE, the one I changed the seals on, is an engine not a differential, but not being a mechanic, I could've made a mistake.

The W58 manual gearbox pulled the seals out of with...wait for it...my seal puller, is kinda like a differential device, if you REALLY stretch the definition.
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Thu, 21 October 2004 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry for the general description of what I was after, didnt mean to cause confusion Smile. The seals I am replacing are, 2 cams, front main, oil pump, and water pump and the rear oil seal.

I am not a mechaninc either but fairly certain the 1ggte I have on the engine stand is not a differential Smile

RG65, I am on the southside. Capalaba.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Thu, 21 October 2004 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rear main seal

http://www.insertdomainnamehere.com/misc/rearmain.jpg

Undo 6 bolts + 2 underneath holding sump

Knock out the seal and replace
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Fri, 22 October 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and pray that the rear main seals properly.

I know of a 1g expert that had to pull it apart a few times as it never wanted to seal properly. using a genuin part too.

only replace the rear main if you need to.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Fri, 22 October 2004 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine seemed to be alright replacen it, hope it holds Confused
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Fri, 22 October 2004 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
evil it will be fine

one 1G rear main leaking out of how many in the club?

not a thing to worry about
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Fri, 22 October 2004 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea but i replaced it myself Shocked

thats enough to worry about Very Happy
colouring_in_book
Regular

May 2004
Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Fri, 22 October 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Obviously no point in arguing with Frank, other than the fact that there is a reason as to why you are not a mechanic.

Extension housing seal replacement, requires the tailshaft to be out, input shaft seal requires the.... wait for it, input shaft to be removed, thus giving you ample room to place in the hook of the remover without damaging anything.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Wed, 27 October 2004 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colouring_in_book wrote on Fri, 22 October 2004 17:01

Obviously no point in arguing with Frank, other than the fact that there is a reason as to why you are not a mechanic.

Yeah, because I didn't want to ruin a hobby by making it the thing I do day in day out. If you want to actually say something constructive, or actually something factual from your wealth of experience as a mechanic, do it.

You're trying to be funny and seem important by belittling me, but all you're doing is making yourself look like a dong.
colouring_in_book
Regular

May 2004
Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Wed, 27 October 2004 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I all honesty Frank, the last thing that I would want to do is belittle you.
You challenged me to a topic in which I had an advantage, but still chose to class my information and experience as useless.

There is no benefit for me to make you look like a dickhead on this forum. I personally see no point unless you are being hypocritical.

Frank wrote
Quote:

This was taking a stab the way I see it.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Wed, 27 October 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colouring_in_book wrote on Thu, 21 October 2004 20:48

Ok....frank! Rolling Eyes
The 1GG he was talking about must be a differential of some sort. Rolling Eyes

colouring_in_book wrote on Fri, 22 October 2004 17:01

Yeah, an advantage is fine if it's an accurate one. Rolling Eyes You said to the guy you couldn't remove the seal with said seal picker without damaging anything. Then proceeded to tell the dude to use a screwdriver which is similar, but actually makes the job harder.

As for that taking a stab, that was talking from experience. I don't have to be a mechanic to remove a seal dude, I proved that by the fact I easily removed and replaced the seals the way I did. All you did was prove that you need to shop around when it comes to mechanics. Rolling Eyes
colouring_in_book
Regular

May 2004
Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Wed, 27 October 2004 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, understand that your stab was clearly before mine.

Anyhow, this is turning into a bitch fest which I am..... caring for Rolling Eyes .

You do what you do, if it works, great!
I will do my way.

No point arguing any further.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Changing Oil Seals 1GGTE Wed, 27 October 2004 07:50 Go to previous message

Dude, I'd really like to get along with you, saying that I took a stab at you first when you basically said that what I said to do was wrong with the above, when clearly it's not right, just pisses me off. Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Strange strange electrics... which aren't engine related!
Next Topic:1GGTE dump pipe?? Web page for 1GGTe Stuff
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 18:55:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069589614868164 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.