Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
murray
Occasional Poster

October 2004
gearbox conversion problems Thu, 21 October 2004 14:56 Go to next message
hey Ive got a 1990 hilux, with a 2y (1800cc) engine and a four speed gearbox.
Now Im guna try and kill two birds with one stone, my clutch slips often and im prety sure that its because of a leaking rear crankcase seal, or pressure plate needs replacing.

When I bought the ute I was given a recon five speed with it and I wanta chuck that in, Ive been told that Im guna have to change the clutch and pressure plate.

But Ive also been told that I might have to replace the starter and that the spline is different and the tailshaft will need to be shortned as well.

Has anyone done this conversion, or dose anyone actually know what Im in for??

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Supralux
Regular

July 2004
Re: gearbox conversion problems Fri, 22 October 2004 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what gearbox is it? the g52 or r151?

shouldnt have to replace starter unless you are replacing the flywheel aswell.

im my experience it pays to get pressure plate tested/replaced, new clutch plate and the flywheel machined. make sure you do all of these otherwise it may just fail on you again.

Spline difference? are you talking about the tailshaft spline or the spline that comes out of the front of the box?

if you want to work out the difference in ratios check this site out http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/technical/ma61 /gearboxes.html
murray
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: gearbox conversion problems Sat, 23 October 2004 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey cool link.
I cant see either of ny gearboxes on it.

I was guna post a pic of it but my webspace isnt play the game.

I was meaning the spline from the flywheel.

Maybe a stupid question but does the clutch and pressure plate have to match to the flywheel(motor) or the gearbox?

may just pull it out and see what happens. What do you think the concequences will be it the clutch and pressure plate are wrong and I try it out? and how will I be able to tell if I need a different while its all dismantled?

Thanks for your reply
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: gearbox conversion problems Sat, 23 October 2004 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
off the vehicle ID plate, can you give us the "gearbox/tranaxle codes" please? From that its easier to establish what you can and cant do.

also, are we talking 4WD or RWD?

The clutch itself has to match the spline of the input shaft of the gearbox. Luckily most toyota gearboxes share the same splines (either of two sizes, big or small in most cases).
The clutch diameter must match the flywheel, the flywheel is specific to the engine, and the pressure plate matches the clutch.

I hope this clears things up for you Smile
murray
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: gearbox conversion problems Sat, 23 October 2004 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That makes sence.

Model no yn85r
trans/axel l40 6252.Its a Rwd too.

How can I identify the gearbox that I have? there are some markings on it , on the part that contains the gears its split into 2 parts on the half closer to the bellhousing it has the markings w4 09 and 26.(I hope that dosnt make it a 4speed Shocked )
on the other half that has the gearstick sticking outa it it has the markings 33141 - 20091 and SK 1A

now that I look at it closely it dose look a lot like this one from that site http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/technical/ma61/images/gearboxes/Toyota_5spd.jpg

Ive measured a few places and compared the two boxes they look like they are the same overall size, but my four speed has weird linkages that go from the shifter location down to half way down the gearbox, its a floor change as well.

thanks for the replys!

[Updated on: Sat, 23 October 2004 02:52]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: gearbox conversion problems Sat, 23 October 2004 10:23 Go to previous message
What material is the casing made out of - steel or alloy? If you're not sure grab a fridge magnet and see if it will stick.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What should the Idle Speed be on a 4agte?
Next Topic:3tgte Turbo upgrade
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 10:51:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049409866333008 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.