Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Water temp gauge holding position Thu, 21 October 2004 05:39 Go to next message
Hi guys, need a bit of advice.

The water temp gauge in my sx is behaving wierdly, when the car starts to warm up (not as soon as you turn it on) the gauge goes gradually all the way to the top and stays there as long as its got power. When you turn it off it falls again, but whats confusing me is that if you turn the ignition on again while the gauge is falling it stops right where it is and wont move from there. Turn it off and it falls again, on and it stops and holds again.

I've got a 20V in, running standard loom and computer, and it's been doing this ever since the swap. I've checked all wiring, but the only wiring relating that was touched was the single wire going to the sender, none of the wiring has been touched in the dash loom. I even checked the diagrams and the damping earth. I've unplugged the sender so now it doesn't do anything, but it's really pissing me off cause i can't figure out why it's behaving like it is.

I've tested both senders from 100kw and 20v in hot water, both read very similar resistances over whole temp range, and wired up out of engine gauge still rooted even with old one back in. (Can't use it anyway cause of big difference in size.) Also tried wired up in water, gauge reads nothing at air/room temp, but put either of them in hot water and it goes right up, but won't come down as the water cools right back down.

So, i've established it's not the senders, or the cooling system doing something wierd, so it's got to be either wiring or possibly i've fried the gauge itself? I tried to get the dash out and check it out, but i ran out of time and cracked the shits with it and haven't touched it since.

Any ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Water temp gauge holding position Thu, 21 October 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the signal wire is earthing out somewhere.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Water temp gauge holding position Thu, 21 October 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yerp
id say that is the problem
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Re: Water temp gauge holding position Thu, 21 October 2004 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I checked that cause i figured that would be the prob 1st up, but i'll check it again.

The lug on sender had broken off so i soldered the wire to the sender, would this cause a prob or is it poss i earthed to the body (of the sender) with the solder? I was careful about that though and checked it, thought it was ok...

Also, if the signal was earthing wouldn't the gauge go back up when i turned the power back on? Instead of staying at halfway or wherever you catch it at? It would be like the sender being really hot all the time and so real low resistance right?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Water temp gauge holding position Thu, 21 October 2004 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah actualy thats true, if it were shorted out it would/should go straight up whenever the ign is turned on.
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Re: Water temp gauge holding position Fri, 22 October 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, but if the engine is cold, or the sender is sitting in a tray of cool water, it stays at the bottom of the gauge...

Its really starting to piss me off that i can't figure this out, anybody had anything similar?

Thanks for the ideas
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Water temp gauge holding position Fri, 22 October 2004 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry for the hijack
mines been fucked for a while.

when its dead cold and i turn it to on it reads about halfway.
when im driving sometimes it goes to full then slightly less than half way.

i pulled the wire off the temp sensor with the ignition on "on"
it was still reading halfway, so i cut the wire just after it plugs into the dash(in case the wire was earthing on something in between the plug and the sensor, coulda been rubbing on the firewall or something) Still no luck Mad

so either my temp guage is fucked or its earthing on something inbetween the plug and the guage.

edit: how do i test if the gauge is working?

[Updated on: Fri, 22 October 2004 07:02]

Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Water temp gauge holding position Fri, 22 October 2004 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got the same problem..but i am gonna run an aftermarket water temp..halfway doing it..will let u guys know
Sigmeister
Regular

June 2004
Re: Water temp gauge holding position Fri, 22 October 2004 11:04 Go to previous message
If it was earthing somewhere it would just spike to the top straight away. Same as with a fuel guage. It happens as the resistance would be very low, and therefor it goes to the top. So I suspect that is not the problem. Problem may be with guage itself. Mechanics of a temp guage are pretty crappy. Well old ones anyways.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:URGENT HELP ON SV21
Next Topic:Would an unbalanced wheel cause bearing failure?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 22:02:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005126953125 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.