Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Thu, 21 October 2004 11:56 Go to next message
K, i realise this has already been covered on the forum. but i want to get my ta22 as light as possile, while still keeping it streetable and looking good. aesthetics are still reasonably important Rolling Eyes
here is what im going to do so far on the 2t/3t, and please dont say swap it for a 4ag, its not going to happen..

back seat and as much interior stuff taken out within reason, so i dont lose the TA's retro-ness
Spare wheel and jack never were going to make it into my boot Smile
heater cabin fan unit has an X on it
fiberglass wanted

i also read you can "Cut the spare wheel well out and fit an alloy drop tank"...has anyone done this? or does anyone know the procedure for this? what are the gains etc?

allright, the point of this thread was practically to ask, is there any other stuff behind the firewheel i dont need? Evil or Very Mad
any bits of metal that can get grinded? Evil or Very Mad haha, dont give smartarse, yerr put clingwrap over ur motor instead of a bonnet man. any sneaky weight reduction tips on a TA22, hit me
cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Thu, 21 October 2004 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get something like a cold chisel and knock all the bitumen sound deadening from the firewall and floors. This may need a complete stripping of the interior (bar the dash) and is a bit of effort. You can save anywhere between 15-50 kilos doing this. But it will be pretty loud inside the cabin without the deadening.

You could also paint the floor insted of putting the carpet back in but you may need some kind of organisation to neaten any wiring that may travel underneath it.
If you want to spend some money you could get some of the windows replaced with lexan. Or remove the winder mechanism completely and have the window permanently up (im not so sure this is street legal)

Get some proper racing seats which way nothing to replace the heavy-ish standards.

Hope this helps.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Thu, 21 October 2004 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fibreglass panels?
Ya, redo the wiring you'll most likely find a fair bit that you don't need.
Fance repainting the car? From memory car manufacturers still used lead to fill the joins in the panels (like around the c-pillar). Remove the lead and use something else. And then repaint the car with less then normal number of coats (say 2 coats of paint)
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Thu, 21 October 2004 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
although i agree with towe_001 bout the lead wipe used to join the shell together i DONT agree to remove it and replace it with something else. you could replace it with brass as it is lighter metal but the end effect would be a couple grams lighter than the lead but structurally not as strong.

if you want weight reduction then the best is to go fibreglass panels (guards/bonnet/boot/front apron), with the doors you could cut sections out like where people put the speakers, also on the rear quarter window sections cut bits from there. this would be the most significant weight reduction possible in those areas

also remove all excess wiring, ie, the wiring loom has extra wires for air con and stuff that are not required, so if you can follow them and remove them then that will reduce weight a bit too.

other things you can get rid of is baggage like the piece of wood behing the rear seat and little things like that...

as for the heater box, i dont think you can legally take it out as that would mean you would have no demister for the front windscreen and that is illegal.

with the drop tank i believe Cool1 just finished his so ask him.

also i would leave the spare tyre and jack as firstly if you get a flat you will need them and also you still want some down force at the back to reduce wheel spin

cheers
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Thu, 21 October 2004 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strip it! Laughing

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~danielcleyne//Celica/CarWork_files/StrippedInterior.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~danielcleyne//Celica/CarWork_files/RearWindowGone.jpg

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Fri, 22 October 2004 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speed holes.
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Fri, 22 October 2004 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forget fibreglass, go the carbonfibre Very Happy
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Fri, 22 October 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

You can see in the second picture the butchery done to the rear shelf to fit speakers... all done with pissweak tin snips and pliers.. <sigh>

We have some welding to do to get the strength back into that area...

IMHO, there is a difference between lightening a car, and wrecking it... This is a good example of what not to do...
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Fri, 22 October 2004 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love the interior pic Very Happy mine was like that and then i spent 2 weeks cleaning it all from all the underlay and glue and crap, cleaned every spec from it first before painting it... the end results are below... note not the best pics

http://members.optusnet.com.au/fadee/indisefrontpa int.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/fadee/insidebackpai ntd.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/fadee/insidepassdoo ropn.jpg
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Fri, 22 October 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

What did you use to paint the interior? Gun or Can?

Looks like you took the glass out of the doors too. I haven't got to that bit yet...
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Fri, 22 October 2004 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate the interior is absolutely bare other than the wiring still lying around. i used a spray gun to do the interior in GMH black. i figured the interior is gonna be black so i did the inside black too.

with the whole interior i sat there with a glass cleaner bottle filled with thinners and sprayed a section and rubbed it off with a rag tog et all the glue off. after that i went over the whole thing with wax and grease remover to clean it and then sprayed... honestly pics dont do it justice, the interior came out so MAD.

i went a bit far though cause i did the whole thing literally, as in under the dash as well, into all crevices, everything, everywhere. also as you can see i did the inner door section too... i did it ike that cause if anything ever got ripped or damaged its black underneath so it wouldnt be too noticeable...
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Fri, 22 October 2004 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Well, so long as you got all the rust then it should help preserve the body in the long term...

This weekend the scraping of the sound deadening starts...
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Fri, 22 October 2004 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are still 2 surface rust spots but im not worried bout that yet as its going to the beaters soon...

i didnt get rid of the sound deadner stuff, didnt see the use as i would end up putting it back again
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Fri, 22 October 2004 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

yeah, for a street car, I'd leave it in. Mine was a very noisy car even with all the sound deadening material in it. I imagine I'll have to wear ear plugs when driving it with all of that stuff gone.

I'm hoping that one day I get it down to the track. So far progress has been painfully slow so I don't imagine it'll all happen anytime soon...
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Fri, 22 October 2004 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man im trying to get this car finished with in 6 months Shocked Confused

everything is going along fine so far but now i got a tiny money problem sooooooooooooooooo........... fingers are still crossed for the 6 month time frame
The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Fri, 22 October 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so if i got pulled over by a copper without a back seat, would i get a 'yellow slip' since my car will be registered a 4 seater?

id like to rip the sound deadening out of the back and leave the front to keep it looking ok. thatd prolly just make it worse haha
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Fri, 22 October 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not necessarily, if you have a half cage then no one can sit in the back anyway and therefore it is legal to take them out (or you can leave them in for aesthetic reasons.

if you register it as a 2 seater tahn you wouldnt need it either

me im ognna keep it in for the aesthetics
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Fri, 22 October 2004 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Fri, 22 October 2004 09:06

although i agree with towe_001 bout the lead wipe used to join the shell together i DONT agree to remove it and replace it with something else. you could replace it with brass as it is lighter metal but the end effect would be a couple grams lighter than the lead but structurally not as strong.

Hmmmm, never really thought of it like that.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Fri, 22 October 2004 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dcleyne wrote on Fri, 22 October 2004 09:09

Strip it! Laughing

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~danielcleyne//Celica/CarWork_files/RearWindowGone.jpg

Aaaarrrrhhhhh
fordMODS
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Sat, 23 October 2004 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Eh? All I can see are a Celica, a Kawasaki and a Singer Vogue...

No fords in my garage!
The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Sat, 23 October 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with the 'rear quarter window sections' how do u go about cutting bits from there? i dont get how ud get in there and so forth...
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Sat, 23 October 2004 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when cutting the interior to reduce weight its a matter of cuting there is nothing attached.

so for the rear quarter window section (im talking bout behind the window where the plastic covers go), theoretically you could cut it all out, but technically you cant cause it would reduce the structural integrity of the car. that is flip the car and the roof will end up on the floor as there is nothing to reduce the impact.

it may be ossible to leave bout 3" all the way round and cut the inner, but even then i would leave like a cross in the middle to allow all sides to still have contact wth each other. did that make sense?

something like this (keep in mind i did itin 2sec

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ta22rebuild/RearWin dowGone.jpg
The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Sat, 23 October 2004 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, cheers. does that mean, if i installed a roll cage, i could effectively take it back a bit more?
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Sat, 23 October 2004 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you take the roll cage through the parcel tray into the boot or even where the shock sits then yeah cause that would reinforce the strength. but if you have the roll cage end on the parcel tray then i wouldnt cause your bolting the cage to something that is getting flimsy/weak
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Sat, 23 October 2004 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Untouchable wrote on Sat, 23 October 2004 20:11

yep, cheers. does that mean, if i installed a roll cage, i could effectively take it back a bit more?

but wasnt the point to reduce weight?
a decent cage is going to add a fair bit of weight, way more than any amount of moderate lightening will account for.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Sun, 24 October 2004 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dcleyne wrote on Sat, 23 October 2004 12:40

Eh? All I can see are a Celica, a Kawasaki and a Singer Vogue...

No fords in my garage!

Hmmm the car next to the celica looks like an old English Ford Anglia. Same rake on the back window.
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: Weight Reduction on Ta22, get the sucker real light Sun, 24 October 2004 21:46 Go to previous message

There is a resemblance to an Anglia... Same sort of beasty too. Unboosted brakes, beam front axle, heater as an optional extra, manual push washer button... kind of makes the old 73 Celica look cutting edge... modern even.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:nice 86
Next Topic:Toyotafest 2004 - old school toyota pics
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 16:19:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061590671539307 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.