Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
moo4AGZETA22
Regular

April 2003
My Thesis is shit Thu, 14 October 2004 16:32 Go to next message
It's 3:27am Tassie time, I'm drunk, and I've got my thesis due in 10 days (25th).
Things are not looking good.
I've only got about 30000 odd words to go....
End rant
One of the other Honours guys just came over and farted on me. He has started to assault me with the wine bottle.

Justin
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My Thesis is shit Thu, 14 October 2004 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good to see I'm not the only one who leaves their thesis until the last few weeks to write.

I can tell you now, you have this to look forward to: coffee, coke, fruit juice, jelly babies, the stomach cramps and sickness associated with such a shitty high energy high caffeine diet... and writing for 9 hours followed by sleeping for 3 hours, and repeating that twice a day every day til your thesis is due, finally getting the final copy printed the day it's due, after a quick look over, and submitted with some minor spelling mistakes.

And to make you feel better, I came out of it rather well Smile
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My Thesis is shit Thu, 14 October 2004 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah mate you will be right!

My thesis writing was uber delayed due to problems in the lab and field, it sounds like I was similar to you guys in the last weeks (lack of sleep Mad ).

I can still remember how good it felt when I submitted all the copies (5 or 6 of them) of my thesis, it was like a great weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

Damn it felt good during the week after submission just to hang out guilt free, knowing that you shouldn't be writing or researching in some oxygen deprived room at Uni (that feeling wears of so enjoy it).

Charge on!! it will all be worth it Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My Thesis is shit Fri, 15 October 2004 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
curious on a car enthusiasts forum how many people have done a thesis, or medicine *glances at dave and ed* - not what one would consider a typical crowd
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My Thesis is shit Fri, 15 October 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm getting my PhD through these guys.
http://www.boners.com/content/791442.1.jpg
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My Thesis is shit Fri, 15 October 2004 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Quote:

I'm getting my PhD through these guys.

EDIT: Damn picture didn't link, oh well.

Laughing Laughing

Quote:

curious on a car enthusiasts forum how many people have done a thesis, or medicine *glances at dave and ed* - not what one would consider a typical crowd

True, but like many people on here I don't think I fall into the typical "car enthusiast" stereotype either. I am a cyclist and ride to work everyday (rain, hail or shine). I do more km's training and racing on the bike than I do in the car each year.

Yet I love cars and modifying them, racing (off street), car shows, motorkhanas etc. I like to head out for a cruise on a nice clear night and I have a fascination with anything mechanical (particularly if it can be modified to be made "better")

I guess I like toys and having fun. Writing a Thesis didn't seem like it was fun or enjoyable in the later part of that honours year, but looking back I would swap places in a flash for my current job Sad

[Updated on: Fri, 15 October 2004 03:27]

moo4AGZETA22
Regular

April 2003
Re: My Thesis is shit Fri, 15 October 2004 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
My thesis has been a big balls up.
1. 10 weeks for ethics to approve my topic (a record time for an Honours thesis in my area I do believe).
2. People pulling out at the last minute.
3. People stringing me along.
4. My slacknes.....

I'll hand it in though. It won't be great, but it won't be to bad.

Justin
moo4AGZETA22
Regular

April 2003
Re: My Thesis is shit Fri, 15 October 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More good news I forgot to add.
On Tuesday, the 3 physiotherapists who looked at me knee have decided that my ACL is snapped. I have a severe grade 2 tear in my Medial cruciate as well.
No one can be sure of the ACL though without a MRI. The 2 private orthopediac surgeons have a 6-8 week waiting list. I booked in to the Royal Hospital 2 months ago, and am seeing a public guy just before christmas.
My strenght tests were very good, and my injured knee(leg) showed more strenght than my "fine" leg.
Balance tests were very good on the stuffed leg, and excellent on the good one.
Diagnosis has been difficult due to 12+ years of rollerblading, acrobatics, and any other activity that stretches the body in unhealthy ways. The 2nd physio didn't read my patient info and started playing with my good leg, and he said on most people it would indicate severe medial cruciate tearing. Got to love joints that are very "loose".
Successfully wasted time, now more thesising (is that a word???).

Justin
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: My Thesis is shit Fri, 15 October 2004 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this all makes me glad i didn't do honours in my degree (economics) tho maybe i'd be doin better at finding a job if i had........
moo4AGZETA22
Regular

April 2003
Re: My Thesis is shit Fri, 15 October 2004 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Peewee,
One of my best friends did Honours in Economics last year. He now has a job as a financial planner. He is stuck with having to do a Graduate Diploma in Financial Planning over two years. He found it hard to get a job in Tasmania though. They would say that he was over qualified, and would leave the job due to boredom, or he didn't have any work experience. Most of his Honours year got governments jobs.
Hoooray, I'm now wasting more time....

Justin
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: My Thesis is shit Fri, 15 October 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep i'm staring down having to do a graduate diploma in financial planning if a couple other things i have coming through don't work out.

it's bullshit, i got beaten for a job as an assistant financial planner by some guy that had never been to uni but had done a simple diploma in fin planning and as such has the ps146 compliance or whatever they call it. how a correspondance course that you basically get if you pay enough is worth more than a bachelor degree i can't work out....... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
nicked
Regular

I supported Toymods

September 2003
Re: My Thesis is shit Fri, 15 October 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm.. thesis aye. I have one week minus 6hrs to write a draft. Shame the final revision of my lab results this morning took me in the wrong direction Confused

Maybe i should start a poll on toymods about which calibation data to use, then stick www.toymods.org.au in my references Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My Thesis is shit Fri, 15 October 2004 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thesis point 1: don't retest if you don't like the results... most likely first test is correct. write up on them, why they might not be what you expected, and reasons for the discrepency.

unless you bollocksed up your first test, or used the wrong stat test
Sw4y
Regular

February 2004
Re: My Thesis is shit Sat, 16 October 2004 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

On Tuesday, the 3 physiotherapists who looked at me knee have decided that my ACL is snapped. I have a severe grade 2 tear in my Medial cruciate as well.
No one can be sure of the ACL though without a MRI. The 2 private orthopediac surgeons have a 6-8 week waiting list. I booked in to the Royal Hospital 2 months ago, and am seeing a public guy just before christmas.

Hey....I had a full knee reco last year tore both my ACL and MCL. Just so you know its not something you should look forward too! Im sure you were Wink
I had to wait around 3 months for my op (and that was expediated cos i knew the right ppl)
Very painful op and recovery and No driving for 8 weeks Shocked I did my left knee...which is my clutch leg Razz , it sucked! Even 12 months later its still fucked and i can predict the weather with it.
Make sure you have private health cover...and do your physio.
There is an orthopaedic surgeon in Sydney called Pinceski who is meant to be great.

Best of luck man. Sorry i couldnt be more cheerful, but u have a long road ahead.

Sway
nicked
Regular

I supported Toymods

September 2003
Re: My Thesis is shit Mon, 18 October 2004 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How's it going thesis do-ers?
I'm settling in for the evening session, procrastinating as you can see Rolling Eyes

Around 50 pages done, 3 1/2 days til draft due....
moo4AGZETA22
Regular

April 2003
Re: My Thesis is shit Tue, 19 October 2004 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
Thesis due Monday. Draft due Thursday. Not a chance.
Supervisor will have to looka at it Sunday, and I'll have to do an all nighter to finish it.
I still don't know why I got talked into qualitative research...
Give me numbers and SPSS......

Justin
moo4AGZETA22
Regular

April 2003
Re: My Thesis is shit Tue, 19 October 2004 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
Been coding all night. What a boring, shitty exercise it is.
Managed an hours sleep from 2-3am. I've got my sleeping bag in at Uni, so I sleep under my desk where it is darkish.
End random dribble.....

Cheers,
Justin
nicked
Regular

I supported Toymods

September 2003
icon14.gif  Re: My Thesis is shit Wed, 20 October 2004 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sleeping bags - that's some impressive dedication!
Mine's engineering stuff, so i did lab experiments & can now write them up in the comfort of my small box/home.

i actually dogged it last night, i had twice the usual coffee intake & by 3am i was still not making any sense.. usually things start to flooooooooow by about 1.
So i had an early one.. problem is i slept til about 12:30 this afternoon - so many hours wasted Shocked

I'm hereby making a declaration:
NO SLEEP TIL 100 PAGES!!

(sounds like a motorhead album Smile )
moo4AGZETA22
Regular

April 2003
Re: My Thesis is shit Wed, 20 October 2004 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all,
Slowly losing the plot. All the Honours mob were discussing why the overflow drqin in the building looks weird. We think it was either some "art" shit, or some weird overflow set-up. This is a new building so there is lots of architect "shit" around.
Work quality is diminishing at a rapid rate. Decided that I would go home and get six or seven hours sleep. That should allow me to get by on two hours a night sleep till Monday.

Cheers from the funny farm,
Justin
nicked
Regular

I supported Toymods

September 2003
sleep: good Wed, 20 October 2004 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moo4AGZETA22 wrote on Wed, 20 October 2004 21:22

Hi all,
Slowly losing the plot. All the Honours mob were discussing why the overflow drqin in the building looks weird. We think it was either some "art" shit, or some weird overflow set-up. This is a new building so there is lots of architect "shit" around.
Work quality is diminishing at a rapid rate. Decided that I would go home and get six or seven hours sleep. That should allow me to get by on two hours a night sleep till Monday.

Cheers from the funny farm,
Justin

mmmmm.. six or seven hours Smile
You'll love it and wake up a new man, ready to go all night and all day.. or something. Actually, i think that's true, last night i gave myself an earlymark, slept from 3:30 til about 11 Shocked - & since then I've already written about 2500 words. Lately i'd hardly been writing anything at all til about 1am when i 'hit the zone'!
moo4AGZETA22
Regular

April 2003
Re: sleep: good Thu, 21 October 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HI,
I just had 7 hours of blissful sleep.
All-nighter today, go home at 8am tomorrow for a few hours sleep, then 3am effort Friday night. Get a few hours sleep, and finish rough draft. Get corrections on Saturday and do some. Go home and get a good nights sleep on Saturday night, then complete all the corrections etc over the Sunday/Monday all nighter, and hand it in at 3pm on Monday.
That's a plan!!!

Cheers,
Justin
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: My Thesis is shit Thu, 21 October 2004 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pah 7 hrs of sleep, my brother whos doing medicine regulary has 5hr sleep and has to to late night rotations at hospitals as well as front up the next morining. At one stage between working part time and uni he hadn't had a day off in like 90 days.
Toymad
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: My Thesis is shit Fri, 22 October 2004 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe...My thesis is shit is sounding very familiar!

We're all runnin' round saying the same things, with mine due on 2nd Nov! Its all starting to come together now tho...Good Luck finishing it off! I'm guessing by 4 o'clock monday u'll be a mess! Razz
RA40Celica
Regular

June 2002
  chris_rg@jabber.org
Re: My Thesis is shit Fri, 22 October 2004 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

you only need a week to write an honours thesis... trust me, plently of engineers do it like this. Got mine in, so glad its over. Now i can study for my 3 exams Sad
moo4AGZETA22
Regular

April 2003
Re: My Thesis is shit Sun, 24 October 2004 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
8 hours till hand-in.
Haven't finished my dscussion, implications for further research, abstract or the definition of my reseach problem.......
moo4AGZETA22
Regular

April 2003
Re: My Thesis is shit Mon, 25 October 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hoooooray,
My thesis is done!!! Only three-and-a-half hours late!

The stress has been removed.

Now to get a job...........

Bouns is I now get to spend some quality time on y car so I can wire up my 4AGZE.

Cheers,
Justin
nicked
Regular

I supported Toymods

September 2003
Re: My Thesis is shit Mon, 25 October 2004 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice one!!
That must feel damn good.. handed my draft in on friday, just waiting to get it back tomorrow to assess the damage Rolling Eyes
moo4AGZETA22
Regular

April 2003
Re: My Thesis is shit Wed, 27 October 2004 03:05 Go to previous message
HI Nicked,
I avoided handing in a draft. I got it proof read, and that was it. My supervisor is probably pissed with me. I decided that it was my thesis, and I wanted it done my way. It will screw my marks, but I have to put my name to it, and that means it will be my work, and not someting that has been changed by supervisor, to make her happy. I didn't want to screw her over, and she was really good with things, but the thesis was my baby.....

Cheers,
Justin

PS Good lick to all those who have to hand there's in still!!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Hi, I am new here!!!!
Next Topic:What Do you Aussies think of California People...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 18:39:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0097370147705078 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.