Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What should the Idle Speed be on a 4agte?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
What should the Idle Speed be on a 4agte? Fri, 22 October 2004 15:16 Go to next message
I had a few ae86 before with 20v engine and now 4agte, but somehow they always idle 1000-1300rpm, don't they ever idle at 600-700rpm like how most other manual cars should??? Has any body got one that's idling at the right speed?? How can you do it?

[Updated on: Fri, 22 October 2004 15:17]

Send a private message to this user    
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What should the Idle Speed be on a 4agte? Fri, 22 October 2004 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine idles fine at 900-950rpm where i set it to.

what TB are you useing? have you adjusted the idle screw on the TB?
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: What should the Idle Speed be on a 4agte? Fri, 22 October 2004 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine's just the cut & shut type, not very good, when cold it will idle @ around 1000rpm, when warmed up it will idle @ 1300rpm!!! I wished it was the other way round, when really cold it will idle @ 700-800rpm, and it can stall until it's above 50 degree C!
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: What should the Idle Speed be on a 4agte? Sat, 23 October 2004 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like it runs like my 16v, but that has some lumpier cams.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: What should the Idle Speed be on a 4agte? Sat, 23 October 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like the cold water throttle bypass thingy its hooked up right/at all.

See my pic below:

# if the two pipes pointing down are connected to your coolant lines, then things should be working fine.

# If you do not have water lines connected to these outlets, you need to block off the whole piece, otherwise air is going straight past the butterfly and giving you this nice big fat idle - which it sounds like its the case.

FWIW though - i have blocked mine off on my 4age smallport you see in the pic, and just have my idle set a little high, like about 1100rpm at warm..... this means it struggles to idle a little on winter mornings.

http://www.rollamods.com/witzl/ae71%20conversion/manifolds/intake-1.jpg
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: What should the Idle Speed be on a 4agte? Sat, 23 October 2004 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks like I have another dodgy conversion item in the car... Laughing

here's my current situation, there's nothing underneath the intake manifold, all been cut off...
http://members.dodo.com.au/~l88/in_mani.jpg

so why is it idling < 700rpm when cold and > 1300rpm when hot??? Coz in my situation, it would be the same as shutting all the connections off?

btw, what's the black cylinder thing on the left in your pic??

also, Witzl, I still need your help in this post! Smile
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=446145&rid=883&S=e5db93127426871e1877a b77ded513aa

[Updated on: Sat, 23 October 2004 02:56]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: What should the Idle Speed be on a 4agte? Sat, 23 October 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that black cylinder is my surge tank - DO NOT copy my dodginess!

What you have is EXACTLY the same situation as me. NORMALLY, when water goes into those outlets, if the water is cold air bypass the throttle butterfly and gives a higher idle, but then when the water gets up to 50degC or so it closes that bypass off giving you a normal idle.

You dont have this, so like me you are just running a high idle - not much you can do short of usitilising some sort of VSV run from a temp switch.
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: What should the Idle Speed be on a 4agte? Sat, 23 October 2004 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but why is idle so low when cold and high when hot instead of just being constant? What's making it do it?

psss psss... need help here ---> Very Happy
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=446145&rid=883&S=e5db93127426871e1877a b77ded513aa
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: What should the Idle Speed be on a 4agte? Sat, 23 October 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have already helped there Razz

it idles LOW when cold, cos thats what an engine does when its cold! When an engine is cold it does not run optimally, hence low idle speeds... when it warms up it burns fuel more efficiently and hence raises your idle speed.

The FACTORY engine avoids it using what i just explained in my previous post
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: What should the Idle Speed be on a 4agte? Sat, 23 October 2004 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok I think I got it, becoz I didn't understand the engine will idle low by nature if it's not warmed up, I thought ---> "amount of air in" = "idle speed"

so what I need to do is, adjust the warmed up idle speed to 700-900rpm, then set up a bypass valve that lets in more air when cold &/or when aux device is on...

so how can I set up a bypass valve?? do I need to do any welding? or I can do it through the hole after removing the cold start injector? (coz I don't need the cold start injector?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What should the Idle Speed be on a 4agte? Sat, 23 October 2004 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karl, why did you take off and block the cold idle up set-up?

[Updated on: Sat, 23 October 2004 06:36]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What should the Idle Speed be on a 4agte? Sat, 23 October 2004 12:41 Go to previous message
Yah, just fix up the factory system, it's rough, but it works!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TA63 inner rack ends, anything else the same?
Next Topic:gearbox conversion problems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 24 15:04:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051779747009277 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.