Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What's the possibility - anyone with 4age diagram?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
What's the possibility - anyone with 4age diagram? Sat, 23 October 2004 09:32 Go to next message
what's the possibility if i can sense there's a bit laggy during high rev in a 4age motor?

any particular thing that i should check?

[Updated on: Mon, 25 October 2004 11:22]

Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What's the possibility?? Sat, 23 October 2004 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm lots of things really... i've found old hitension leads can sometimes make the engine feel a bit dull up high. Spark plugs also worth checking but these probably give more of a miss.

Maybe fueling problem?

Check everything is in tune, timing, tps, etc.

Good luck with it Smile

celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: What's the possibility?? Sat, 23 October 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont know much anout the 4A's but maybe it could be that the TVIS I think thats what its called may not be opening or closing when its suppose to be which could sort of feel like its laggy I suppose.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What's the possibility?? Sat, 23 October 2004 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah didnt think of that , is it the bigport? If so check the TVIS is operating.
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: What's the possibility?? Sat, 23 October 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no tvis..but suspected my TPS has problem tho..relating to my engine jerking (not wanking!!) during 1st gear and also letting off and stepping on the accelerator..

a mate of mine told me TPS can be adjusted to the correct reading wiht multimeter...if it can be done..HOW?

btw...mine is ae92 4age
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What's the possibility?? Sat, 23 October 2004 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h33.pdf
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: What's the possibility?? Sat, 23 October 2004 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont see how a the TPS can change it resistance value's, even if the TPS has somehow done that the computer should still read quick movement of the throttle meaning it will richen up the fuel (Accelerator enrichment). If you know how maybe hook a multimeter and see if the resistance change's as you open/close the throttle. Even better try and borrow someone's to try.

PS I could be wrong Sad
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: What's the possibility?? Sat, 23 October 2004 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicaboy_2000 wrote on Sat, 23 October 2004 19:28

I dont see how a the TPS can change it resistance value's, even if the TPS has somehow done that the computer should still read quick movement of the throttle meaning it will richen up the fuel (Accelerator enrichment). If you know how maybe hook a multimeter and see if the resistance change's as you open/close the throttle. Even better try and borrow someone's to try.

PS I could be wrong Sad

that's what i was told to re-position back the tps frm a friend of mine who is few hundred kms away from me and hence he cant be there to do it for me..

i certainly have no idea on how to use/read multimeter as i never did needed one...say if i can get hold of another TPS..its just matter of plug and play or something more needs to be done? i have to admit that i am not a person who likes electrical/wiring/diagram stuff..can i do this by myself or best to let someone do it before i stuff it up?

i'll check on the pdf and see what i can get out of it...

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What's the possibility?? Sat, 23 October 2004 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can't just plug n play TPS, just like Microsoft hasn't made a plug n play OS yet Razz

Replacing the TPS is straight forward, but then you'll definately need to adjust it as per that document I sent ya.

Cheers
Joel
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: What's the possibility?? Sat, 23 October 2004 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks mate..i'll try to get my hands on one when i have time

so if it aint TPS...what's the next suspect?
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: What's the possibility?? Sat, 23 October 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and also..how do i know if my leeds are still in good condition??
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What's the possibility?? Sat, 23 October 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It wouldn't actually be my first suspect..

I'd be looking at hi-tension leads , spark plugs , fuel system.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: What's the possibility?? Sat, 23 October 2004 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satoshi wrote on Sat, 23 October 2004 18:55

and also..how do i know if my leeds are still in good condition??

measure the resistance of them with a multimeter
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: What's the possibility?? Sat, 23 October 2004 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Sat, 23 October 2004 20:28

It wouldn't actually be my first suspect..

I'd be looking at hi-tension leads , spark plugs , fuel system.

just changed spark plugs.... RA28..how can i check the fuel system?

hmmm....is multimeter very useful? if it is..i might go and get one...and there's so many options to choose in the multimeter....
dayum i wish i have a multimeter with me to start learning

btw.. what leads are good for 4age and where to get them? and how much do they go for? goods leads come in certain thickness? is that how u all see it?
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: What's the possibility?? Sun, 24 October 2004 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another thing i just found out...installed an aftermarket water temp in my sprinter and it my water temp shows that the needle went gradually all the way pass 120 celcious Shocked

i used back the stock 4age 100kw water temp sender as i couldnt get them out...i wouldnt think the sender might be the issue..

say if the aftermarket water temp readings is true..i ahve been driving my car for the past few months with SUPER HOT water and was totally fooled with the water temp gauge in ae86 stock instrument dash..

next thing that needs to be check is my radiator and waterpump...
off to radiator shop tomorrow and can i possibly check my water pump myself?

also..what happens if all these months i've been driving with water temp which is HOT? should my engine be dead by now?

Bert
Regular

May 2003
Re: What's the possibility?? Sun, 24 October 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey man, if the gauge is true and you have been driving round with 120 degree engine temps its possible that the fuel system is getting real hot and when the fuel gets hot it is hard to atomise when injected in the engine.
that might cause the sluggish feeling. you should have youre radiator flow tested and unblocked (if it is blocked)

generally you water pump should be ok. unless its noisy or pissing out water!

the first step should be ensuring that engine temp is correct, then seeing if engine performance is better....
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: What's the possibility - new prob found! Sun, 24 October 2004 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just did a check again..started the engine...wait till reading shows its Hot..and i touch the radiator cap and it feels warm (like warm pie Razz )..

so at this stage...reading is most probably false....but i did not touch the Ignition wire and Sender wire together (according to the manual gauge will be stuffed)...

since i am at it..possible to test if the new watertemp gauge is in proper condition? btw..gauge is bought brand new..

[Updated on: Sun, 24 October 2004 09:16]

celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: What's the possibility - new prob found! Sun, 24 October 2004 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All temp senders are different, the aftermarket might be sending a different resistance to the guages meaning it could be saying its 120 but in actual fact it could be normal operating temp. But yeah get the coolant side of things sorted first. Do you know if your using the genuine or compatible water temp sender for the computer? This could cause problems to if the wrong or faulty one is installed.

Cars, You cant live with them and you cant live without them. just like female's Laughing
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: What's the possibility - new prob found! Sun, 24 October 2004 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its an aftermarket gauge your not meant to put the wire on the stock sender
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: What's the possibility - new prob found! Sun, 24 October 2004 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, you haved to use the sender supplied with the gauge!

and yes as somone mentioned multimeters can be very useful, measuring the resistan`ce of the leads will tell you if one of them has a fault or not

make sure you know how to use it tho

[Updated on: Wed, 27 October 2004 22:30] by Moderator

Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: What's the possibility - new prob found! Mon, 25 October 2004 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay..stop shooting at me..

went down to a radiator shop today...told him about my problem and he checked my radiator (suprisingly without using any pressure tools)..and said my radiator looks fine..

showed him my aftermarket sender and looks like it doesnt fit..so he made a custom adaptor to fit the sender in.. everything seems ok now but still..my water temp reading is showing around 80degrees...which i think is abit over the normal temperature..what u guys reckon??

he also pin-pointed on my engine that my alternator is only being secured with 1 bolt! (and few minutes later...he also found out that something is wrong with my engine...he mention something that my engine doesnt run properly as it should have...
he said something about vacumm stuff and also the 'hissing' noise when i switch off the engine...from the engine bay..he pressed on the accelerator cable a little and my engine revs on and off consistently ..

i wish i could let him fix my car since he pointed out all my engine problems but would not be appropriate to do so in a radiator shop..

so in conclusion..'hissing' noise after i switch off the engine, inconsistant rev (like "vrooommm....vrooommm.....vrooommmmm.." when u hold your pedal inbetween 2000rpm to 3000rpm" and the 80degrees reading on my water temp is the things i need to get sorted...help me out

ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: What's the possibility - new prob found! Mon, 25 October 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it is hissing after you turn the engine off then i'd say there is a leak somewhere in the vacuum lines. Run a water test ie. get a hair spray bottle and fill up with water, run the engine for a while and turn off spraying where abouts the air is coming from - should be able to distinguish roughly where it is hissing. Cracked hose or loose connection?

If not, the only other thing i can think of after you turn your engine off is the brake booster. But it sounds to me it is a small hiss AFTER the engine is off.
But definately get a timing test done.

I'm not quite sure of what the 'vroom vrrooooom vrrroooooom' means but i'm gathering when you hold the throttle at 2-3000rpm it heaves and revs on its own? maybe check throtte cable/manifold for dodgy seals/loose

Aftermarket gauges are pretty poor in relativaty to certain engines, but see if the 80deg. is consistent on day to day drives. If it is overheating and causing unusual leaks in radiator/overheating then maybe blown head gasket - ouch! Sad

definately get that alternator fixed up, and check your fuel filter for shit clogged in there!
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: What's the possibility - new prob found! Mon, 25 October 2004 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
80degrees is perfectly normal

Check for leaks as per above mentioned.
adamb131
Regular

September 2003

Re: What's the possibility - new prob found! Mon, 25 October 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Possibly air leaks in the intake somewhere.
This would cause the rev hunting and possibly your hisses.
Havent really read the thread too closely but, also... try simply reseting your ECU by disconnecting the battery for a minute or so. If you have been sending incorect temp signals to your ECU it would have learned bad habits!!!!
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: What's the possibility - new prob found! Mon, 25 October 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the hissing sound comes behind the intake manifold, and u guys are correct on the vroom...vroom..vroom...

sorry for the lack of words to explain it but i guess u guys are all smart enough.. Razz

i might need to get a 100kw 4age engine diagram to see where's the vacumm hose, etc...i have no idea..

i'll check on the tech docs...and if u got any just post them up to make life easier..

Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: What's the possibility - anyone with 4age diagram? Mon, 25 October 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do i open the 4age 100kw.tar.gz file in the Tech Docs?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: What's the possibility - anyone with 4age diagram? Mon, 25 October 2004 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL @ altenator being held on with one bolt... as if you didnt notice that yourself Wink
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: What's the possibility - anyone with 4age diagram? Mon, 25 October 2004 15:30 Go to previous message
Satoshi wrote on Mon, 25 October 2004 19:25

how do i open the 4age 100kw.tar.gz file in the Tech Docs?

I've got a paper copy if you want a copy of it? It will cost you $10 to the "I supported Toymods" thread in Membership and Feedback section, if you choose to donate more, I'll be impressed!

PM your address after you've done that and I'll send you a copy.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Where to get a manifold made up?
Next Topic:Front mount intercooler on celica 88 model (ST162)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 05:25:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059270858764648 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.