Toymods » Tech & Conversions » TA23/RA2* Ijz-gte or 1ggte conversion

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bstjunkie
Regular

July 2004
TA23/RA2* Ijz-gte or 1ggte conversion Mon, 25 October 2004 12:43 Go to next message
Hey Guys im slowly coming to the conclusion where i can't really find a late 70's celica with a 6 cycl turbo motor in it, so i may have to build one myself. Depending on if its worth the hassle. A mates mates mate has a ra23 with a 1jzgte which ill be visiting him in a couple days to get some advice. Ive read some past posts about this topic and ive heard fitting a 1jz-gte is a very tight fit, has anyone got any pics of any in a late 70's celica???. Also if i fit the 1ggte or 1jzgte will i need to change the original cross member out of the celica or get a sump made up for the engine to fit.
Hard to engineer the 1jzgte in a ra2* or ta32???

Any help will be much appreciated Smile ,

Cheers Kav
  Send a private message to this user    
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: TA23/RA2* Ijz-gte or 1ggte conversion Mon, 25 October 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After fitting the 1G into my car I didn't think it was hard at all but the 1J looks tricky I think it would cost alot more for the 1J conversion
bstjunkie
Regular

July 2004
Re: TA23/RA2* Ijz-gte or 1ggte conversion Mon, 25 October 2004 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what did yours involve, custom tailshaft??, change cross member?? weld new engine mounts and gearbox mounts???
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: TA23/RA2* Ijz-gte or 1ggte conversion Mon, 25 October 2004 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All of the above and custom radiator, intercooler piping, fuel lines, brakes, fuel pumps, rewire the engine bay, modify acelerator(add a cable), hilux diff thats all I can think of at the moment

P.S you can buy mine unfinished if you interested.

BEN
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: TA23/RA2* Ijz-gte or 1ggte conversion Mon, 25 October 2004 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's a pretty big difference between fitting a 1J & a 1G, the 1G is a fair bit easier in terms of fitting & engineering. If you were to decide on a 1J I believe you would have to start off with an RA23 over a TA23, as the rule for a forced induction engine transplant is no larger in cubic capacity than 2.5 x kg of the original car, so for a 2500cc 1J you need at least 1000kG of car to start with. I'm 99.999% sure a TA23 weighs in at around 970kg & the RA23 at 1070kg.
As for the crossmember issue, both engines come with a number of sump configurations that would suit either the forward curved RA23 crossmember or the rearward curved TA23 one, which are completely interchangable.

If you can buy an unfinished project with all the hard stuff done you'll be heaps better off! You'll save a few bucks at the same time... Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 25 October 2004 14:16]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA23/RA2* Ijz-gte or 1ggte conversion Mon, 25 October 2004 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1JZ in an RA23 Celica:

http://www.norbie.net/JZA23.htm

Very tight fit, LOTS of work.
chris philpott
Regular

November 2002
Re: TA23/RA2* Ijz-gte or 1ggte conversion Tue, 26 October 2004 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much longer in lenght is the engine bay in TA/RA 23 compared to a TA 22.

Cheer Chris Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA23/RA2* Ijz-gte or 1ggte conversion Tue, 26 October 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heaps... about 6" from memory.
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: TA23/RA2* Ijz-gte or 1ggte conversion Tue, 26 October 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I know someone who has done the 1J into a TA22. Take Norbie's
Quote:

Very tight fit, LOTS of work.
and multiply it by some more...

..and realise you aren't going to have the greatest handling car ever put together...

Cheers,
Dan
bstjunkie
Regular

July 2004
Re: TA23/RA2* Ijz-gte or 1ggte conversion Tue, 26 October 2004 06:27 Go to previous message
Thanks for the link norbie, going by the pic of the engine bay, I wouldnt do a 1jz conversion, i can see what everyone is talking about.

Just as well i may be gettin a ra23 with a 1ggte in it anyways so i may not need to go through the hassles.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:URGENT HELP NEEDED
Next Topic:cant get my sump off!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 17:30:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045211315155029 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.