Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Towing a celica from sydney is the commodore up to it.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ta2272
Forums Junkie

May 2003
icon2.gif  Towing a celica from sydney is the commodore up to it. Tue, 26 October 2004 02:50 Go to next message
I Live 2 hours north of brisbane i am buying a car from sydney and the plan is to tow it back on a car trailor behind my dads commodore which is a 2001 with just the v6 3.8ltr will this handle the load for Distance length.

Are there any othere things i may need to consider.

Gearbox oil overe heating (auto)
Speed
The trailor has brakes
The car weights around a tone.

Should i be alright?

Thanks

Jason
  Send a private message to this user    
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Towing a celica from sydney is the commodore up to it. Tue, 26 October 2004 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you should be fine. Keep the trailer weight to a minimum. The ones you can hire thru Caltex servos weight 500Kg empty... so with the Celica, it would be 1500kg, which should be fine for a Commo as long as the trailer has brakes.

Check the maximum towing capacity of the car and the towbar first thou.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Towing a celica from sydney is the commodore up to it. Tue, 26 October 2004 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The towing capacity of a Commodore should be 1600kg so as long as you are under that you should be fine, however I'd give the auto a nice break if you get into hilly areas on the freeway.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Towing a celica from sydney is the commodore up to it. Tue, 26 October 2004 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
commodores have a maximum towing capacity of around 1800kg to 2200kg with a braked trailer so I'd say it is well and truly up to the job
ta2272
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Towing a celica from sydney is the commodore up to it. Tue, 26 October 2004 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok thanks for your quick replies guys um the trailor i am using is my uncels race car trailer an di think it will weight more than those dicky little hire ones, ill ask him how much it would weight, 500 seems alot for those hire ones thought.

Jason
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Towing a celica from sydney is the commodore up to it. Tue, 26 October 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe change the diff oil to oil made for towing? I think I read on a diff oil bottle once that you should use certain types of diff oil for different situations?

It's only a commodore though, so it doesnt matter if you damage the diff or gearbox... there'll be plenty at a wrecker Smile
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Towing a celica from sydney is the commodore up to it. Tue, 26 October 2004 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fwiw: Shane's newish Futura coped with the mighty RA40 on a rental car trailer from Warwick back to Brisbane without raising temps or overworking the brakes

cruise control seemed to cope just fine despite the weight pushing/pulling on the car.

the auto behaved so well, he drove down Cunningham's gap barely using the brakes - just used a lower gear.

Other issue was getting the car in the right place for balance and firmly strapped so that we didn't end up lifting the rear of the car up.

have at least two drivers - you will get tired as you have to drive alert.
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Towing a celica from sydney is the commodore up to it. Tue, 26 October 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, just watch the transmission fluid. Hills will cook it. just stop for a break after any big ones (like, real big ones, the mountain ranges and shit.) I drag stuff with my VL all the time and all that ever happens is the ATF overheats. I wish the it would just die so I could put in a manual Wink

Make sure your brakes aren't leaking too, cause once, I was bringing a torana back from sydney, and I had very little brakes down Mt Victoria. Seems funny now when I look back...

tim
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Towing a celica from sydney is the commodore up to it. Tue, 26 October 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My mates XF ute with a very very tired 4.0L 6 in it was used to tow my old camry to the wreckers... it had to go up a hill Wink The whole way it was pinging it's arse off, temps were in the red, chewing through way too much fuel for it's own good...

It still lives to this day... with the addition of a new head, mild cam and a worn block from an XD sedan. Burns oil like all buggery now! Smile It's a true FORD Razz
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Towing a celica from sydney is the commodore up to it. Tue, 26 October 2004 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aslong as it's legal is should be fine.
I towed my sa63 on this heavy ass trailer with another sa63 for like an hour andit was fine so i'd assume the commadore would handle it fine.
Just go easy on the trans tho
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Towing a celica from sydney is the commodore up to it. Tue, 26 October 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugger all that good advice, tow the Commodore back on the trailer behind the Celica !
Very Happy
Get your priorities straight first buddy. If you lose the GMH product around a sharp corner claim it back on insurance and get yourself a nice big Landcruiser instead.
Surprised
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Towing a celica from sydney is the commodore up to it. Tue, 26 October 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the commo will tow it fine,

we have been towing 1500kg of race cars and boats around behind ours for years with out even raising a sweat,

the V6 will have no problems with a celica

Dale
rb20det
Regular

July 2004
Re: Towing a celica from sydney is the commodore up to it. Tue, 26 October 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
change gearbox oil before you go as the gearbox is the weakest link in commodores when towing
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Towing a celica from sydney is the commodore up to it. Tue, 26 October 2004 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
commodores have severe problems with gearboxes overheating...be sure to make sure you have a external tranny cooler and just take your time and avoid as many hills as possible..i know my vr tows a fully loaded car on a trailer easily but i dunno about the trip from sydney to here...
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Towing a celica from sydney is the commodore up to it. Tue, 26 October 2004 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've towed cars interstate with a stock VR wagon quite a few times. This thing doesn't even have a tranny cooler (alarming, ey!), yet it seems to manage reasonably well.. Just don't expect any kind of fuel economy or performance whatsoever, remember Commodore brakes are supremely CRAP with a trailer, and if you do it too often, expect 'Commodore growth' - where the gap behind the back doors seems to keep getting bigger and bigger Very Happy
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Towing a celica from sydney is the commodore up to it. Wed, 27 October 2004 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Tue, 26 October 2004 14:49

Bugger all that good advice, tow the Commodore back on the trailer behind the Celica !

Surprised

Laughing Laughing Laughing thats all i can say

[Updated on: Wed, 27 October 2004 08:59]

juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Towing a celica from sydney is the commodore up to it. Wed, 27 October 2004 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just make sure you have a high rated tow bar, because there a several different models, make sure you have one that can handle the weight!
justin
Gazza53
Regular

August 2004
Re: Towing a celica from sydney is the commodore up to it. Wed, 27 October 2004 09:16 Go to previous message
no problems,
we have just towed an ra60 celica from canberra to adelaide behind the wifeys vn, 3.8 auto crappydore, fuel economy went to shit but towed very well, put about 250kg onto the towbar otherwise the trailer will start to swing at around 80 k.
we have also recently hauled an ra40 from melbourne to adelaide but this was an easier trip as the ra40 was a coupe while the ra60 was a liftback, and we could get more weight onto the towbar.
no overheating on either trip, just an oil change before the trip.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:vibrating noises
Next Topic:Strange strange electrics... which aren't engine related!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:34:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059990882873535 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.