Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Wheel weight reduction steeel->alloy

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kaze
Regular

July 2004
Wheel weight reduction steeel->alloy Tue, 26 October 2004 02:40 Go to next message
Hey all,

This might be a noob question. I'm currently on 14" stock Toyota Steelies with a plastic hubcaps. If i were to change the to the stock 14" SX Alloys. Would i experience significant/noticable difference in the performance/ economy of the car? I was thinking alloys are alot lighter than steels; so the weight reduction would = better economy /response... Confused

cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wheel weight reduction steeel->alloy Tue, 26 October 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In theory, yes. In practice, you won't notice it.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Wheel weight reduction steeel->alloy Tue, 26 October 2004 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just do it so you dont have yucky steelies Razz
kaze
Regular

July 2004
Re: Wheel weight reduction steeel->alloy Tue, 26 October 2004 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool i'm still contemplating whether it shall be alloy rims or a autotechnica steering wheel...

i can only go 1 of these options... and its a 2 year decision because of insurance issues. On one hand my car will look good to other... the other hand; it would have a wonderful interior and cockpit... which i can say "my car is cool" everytime i drive it.

what would u do? Twisted Evil

[Updated on: Tue, 26 October 2004 04:01]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Wheel weight reduction steeel->alloy Tue, 26 October 2004 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get the rims now, steering wheel later.
Just don't be surprised if you find the alloy ones weigh as much or more than the steel rims. Get the bathroom scales out, and weigh each rim with a tyre on it and tell us what you find. Maybe protect the scales first with some newspaper to avoid household problems......
BTW - you should not have insurance issues if you tell them that these are standard alloy rims from a similar model Celica, either way, it should not up the insurance premium by much at all. Similar with a steering wheel, the cost of which is minimal compared to the overall insurance value of the car.

Get the steering wheel and boss kit as combined Christmas presents this year with your family and friends all chipping in.
Problem sol-var'ed.
Surprised

[Updated on: Tue, 26 October 2004 05:12]

cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Wheel weight reduction steeel->alloy Tue, 26 October 2004 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a spare set of 14" stock st162 mags you could buy off me if you want. 2 of the tyres are in excellent condition while the other 2 are kinda average.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Wheel weight reduction steeel->alloy Tue, 26 October 2004 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cycleofabuse wrote on Tue, 26 October 2004 15:12

I've got a spare set of 14" stock st162 mags you could buy off me if you want. 2 of the tyres are in excellent condition while the other 2 are kinda average.

dont bother...he wants to get mine Very Happy Very Happy
its a seca that he has and not celica btw

as for bathroom scale, this is what i do when weighing my luggage for flight.
1. weigh urself
2. weigh urself holding the rims (baggage in my case)
3. Calculate the weight difference!!

kaze
Regular

July 2004
Re: Wheel weight reduction steeel->alloy Tue, 26 October 2004 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do that bigben... n i'll check how much my 14" steelies with rim weight too...

btw: 14" stock st162 mags ... i wanna see pics. Is it 4x100 stud pattern and will i have problems with offset n stuff?

Is it in good condition n most importantly ... are u in mel?
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Wheel weight reduction steeel->alloy Tue, 26 October 2004 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bathroom scale not working
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Wheel weight reduction steeel->alloy Tue, 26 October 2004 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kaze wrote on Tue, 26 October 2004 18:58

do that bigben... n i'll check how much my 14" steelies with rim weight too...

btw: 14" stock st162 mags ... i wanna see pics. Is it 4x100 stud pattern and will i have problems with offset n stuff?

Is it in good condition n most importantly ... are u in mel?

its 5x100 stud pattern im afraid, dunno bout the offset. Plus im in newcastle. They're decent condition for 16 year old mags.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Wheel weight reduction steeel->alloy Wed, 27 October 2004 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The rims from the ST model of the ST162 are four stud, the SX ST162 model were 5 stud. Confused yet ? Smile
kaze
Regular

July 2004
Re: Wheel weight reduction steeel->alloy Wed, 27 October 2004 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep... mighty confused... i'm guessing that the SX 162 had 4WD in mind or similar eh.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Wheel weight reduction steeel->alloy Wed, 27 October 2004 04:49 Go to previous message
Maybe, but maybe it was more cost cutting / efficiency by Toyota. I'm pretty sure that the ST model had rear drum brakes while the SX had four wheel disc's.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3S-GE + T50
Next Topic:Opinions on this baffling
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:25:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053050518035889 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.