Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
Damn crappy radiators Fri, 18 October 2002 15:25 Go to next message
Why dont toyota just fit aliminium topped rads as standard.. it would save me all the hassle.

The story so far.. my rads gone (cracked top), i cant get another apart from a toyota one, which is megabucks and i cant see the point in spending a furtune on a stock part. I cant get mine repaired apparently either due to the plastic top.

SO i have now discovered my best plan of action is to buy a Koyo rad from the states SUPPOSEDLY made the the MA70 supra, but in fact is actually made to fit the JZA70 supra (mine)... howver, this is for a manual transmission car and mine is an auto, hence i will have to fit a seperate oil cooler at yet more expense.

All this because of a little crack. What a farce.. this car is def going next year.. probably by being pushed off a cliff.

Anyway, the point of my thread is.. what are the advantages/disadvantages of a seperate oil cooler for the AT gearbox? Can i just fit a universal one or is there some specifics i should be looking for?

Or if anyone has any other ideas or auto rads that will fit in the JZA i'm all ears !! Bearing in mind that the reason i want the koyo is that a US group buy website is selling them at £230 UK pounds.

cheers
adi
  Send a private message to this user    
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damn crappy radiators Sat, 19 October 2002 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm guessing here...a WILD guess at that, that maybe your car is running the A340/1E transmission???
If so, these transmissions like to be cool.
The advantage of installing a separate cooler is that the trans fluid will be MUCH better cooled than in the stock installation, resulting in longer transmission life and, thus, les expense.
I am putting a 1UZ into a Cressida, which runs the A340E transmission and I had not even thought of retaining the stock transmission cooling...I'm going to fit the biggest 'cooler I can squeeze in there!
Hope this helps!
HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
Re: Damn crappy radiators Sat, 19 October 2002 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers for the reply.. its an A342E transmission (different ratios to the ones you describe, but apart from that pretty similar).

Im now looking into fitting a seperate cooler.

cheers
adi
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damn crappy radiators Sat, 19 October 2002 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
far out sorry to hear it, UK230 is a lot of money dude, nowadays that works out to be more like AUS$600+.. all for a radiator, youd think theyde make better factory ones, being a high priced exoctic sports car. Maybe the previous owner(if there was one) was using something in the coolant that eat away the top?

Regular

May 2002
Re: Damn crappy radiators Sat, 19 October 2002 13:18 Go to previous message
I dont mind UK £230 for a decent rad like the koyo (they're normally a lot more than that, but theres a group buy site in the states doing them for that price).

Once i've added shipping, vat, oil cooler for the transmission, i think its going to be nearer £400+. I could get a custom one made for that price.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Idling Help 4 AGE
Next Topic:Quick/short shift kit for W58???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 07:50:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0040550231933594 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.