Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
notorius
Regular

August 2004
ke70 /ae71 digital dash Fri, 22 October 2004 11:18 Go to next message
Hey all,
I was wondering if it was posible to get a Digital Dash for a KE70?
thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Fri, 22 October 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could retrofit a ae86 one
notorius
Regular

August 2004
Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Fri, 22 October 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how hard would that be?
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Fri, 22 October 2004 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how long is a piece of string? Razz
notorius
Regular

August 2004
Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Fri, 22 October 2004 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indigoid wrote on Fri, 22 October 2004 21:55

how long is a piece of string? Razz

2 times half the length from the middle to one end Shocked Laughing Razz Rolling Eyes

so has anyone made the ae86 digital dash work in a ke70 with stock 4kc? and k40

[Updated on: Fri, 22 October 2004 13:39]

cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Tue, 26 October 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, you have raised a good question, would be interested to see what the findings are with this. I somehow dont think it would be a 100% conversion as there is the computer to wire into surely....
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Tue, 26 October 2004 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the digital instrument cluster itself has the computers and all that, usually, but it wont be a plug and play job... you'll need to know what wire does what.
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Tue, 26 October 2004 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well that's great if the comp is strapped to the cluster, what about the sensors and sending units, will they not need to be taken into account also? Hmmmm very interesting if someone has done this.... Shocked
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Tue, 26 October 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
notorius wrote on Fri, 22 October 2004 21:18

Hey all,
I was wondering if it was posible to get a Digital Dash for a KE70?
thanks

why would you possibly want a digital dash?
you could try and retrofit a falcon XF 'star wars' dash, or one of the AE86 ones.. all you need to do is find out where the dash inputs come from (ie sensors or the ECU's) and then go from there...

Cya, Stewart
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Tue, 26 October 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Early Toyota digital instrument clusters are entirely self-contained and use the same external inputs as the analogue instrument clusters. This is certainly the case for MA61's and AE86's. Even the "digital" speedo uses a conventional mechanical cable which plugs into the back of the cluster, just like any old-style analogue speedo.

This being the case, getting the instument cluster to work is just a matter of matching each pin to the corresponding circuit, which is an exercise in patience believe me, but it's not difficult. The hard part will be making the cluster physically fit in the dash, and if it comes out of a different car that might be quite a challenge. You might find some obscure JDM version of the xE7x Corolla has a digital dash though, so if you can get your hands on one of these it should bolt right in and you'll be laughing!

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Tue, 26 October 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh and I agree with OldCorollas, digital instruments are a silly gimmick which are less functional than plain old analogue dials. I'd gladly get rid of my digital dash if it was worth the effort to do so (read: if I wasn't so lazy).
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Tue, 26 October 2004 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that some of the digital clusters are pretty nice... but some means barely any Smile
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Tue, 26 October 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stewart, just in case you are wondering, this will not be done on the ke55 project. I just can't see it happening.... Maybe you might consider it on your car???? Laughing Laughing
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Tue, 26 October 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like mine ->

http://www.motec.com.au/res/adl.jpg

Very Happy
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Tue, 26 October 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugger, I hate threads where the shotcut takes you to another pic. My server won't allow me to see these Sad
Bill, any chance you could past a pic so I can see.... Please? Smile
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Tue, 26 October 2004 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well that one is straight off the Motec site
The one I have in the Fraser isn't so easy to see, but here it is anyway.

http://www.billzilla.org/fraserdash.jpg

Or the direct link -> http://www.billzilla.org/fraserdash.jpg
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Tue, 26 October 2004 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yes,
Yummy...
I have seen one of these Digi displays at a motor show last year in Ireland, they really look the part, but can they be used for road use? I somehow can't see them passing something like that through regency. Is it iluminated?
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Tue, 26 October 2004 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, they come standard on one model of Porsche. And yes, it's backlit.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Tue, 26 October 2004 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heehee.... norbie, if only your comments were true.....

...remember that dash swap i was doing whilst you were down here? well that was a TE72 4dr dash, and i had to use all the associated surrounds with it, and swap all the freaking dash plug pins.....

still - not as bad as the AE82/AE101 gt-z dash i did Wink
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Tue, 26 October 2004 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cost roughly?
Are they difficult to rig up, And do they come with there own sensors?

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Tue, 26 October 2004 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ciaran,
Bills dash is a MoTec... ie $MoNey$
it's also in a Fraser, which is effectively an ICV registered car.

digi dashs look terrible (apart from the MoTec Wink ) and you are much better off changing to some decent VDO gauges if you change anything.

Cya, Stewart

Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Tue, 26 October 2004 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwhelan wrote on Tue, 26 October 2004 17:41

Cost roughly?
Are they difficult to rig up, And do they come with there own sensors?

1. Shitloads.
2. Yes.
3. No. (though they can receive most of their engine data and other data through the CAN bus from the M400, in my case)
notorius
Regular

August 2004
Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Tue, 26 October 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks like ill be having some fun soon then
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: ke70 /ae71 digital dash Wed, 27 October 2004 22:27 Go to previous message
Hmmm, as I said, probably won't be doing this on my lil car. Would be interested to see how someone else gets on with there conversion to go digital though. Its always a good thought to procede with if you were that way inclined.
Stewart, a few VDO's will be what I shall invest in when the conversion project is nearing completion, a few months off yet I think. I'm really looking forward to getting started on it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Surge tank info?
Next Topic:suspension for my 86
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 03:47:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0087828636169434 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.