Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Quick/short shift kit for W58???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Quick/short shift kit for W58??? Sat, 19 October 2002 00:01 Go to next message
Are they around and how much would they cost?
The box's shifter position i just put it is a little tall and foward for my liking, ie; i really have to reach forward to put it in 3rd and 5th gear Confused
I dont mind it at the moment, but i'd like to find a quick shift kit for it pretty soon. If anyone knows a place to get one/buy one please tell!

Thanks
Ben
PS- box is from a 89 supra MA70.

[Updated on: Sat, 19 October 2002 00:02]

Send a private message to this user    
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Quick/short shift kit for W58??? Sat, 19 October 2002 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure Dellow do them
I'll prolly be making one soon, as I'll be putting the same box in my celica soon. If the dellow on is heaps pricey, & you don't mind waiting a little bit, I'll make you one for cheap.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quick/short shift kit for W58??? Sat, 19 October 2002 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or if you don't mind parting with money you could get a C's or TRD short shift kit:

http://www.perfectrun.com.au/carparts_list/toyota/ supra/suprainteriordressuplist.htm

Enjoy
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Quick/short shift kit for W58??? Sat, 19 October 2002 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the quick shift kit list there, its says JZA80. That gearbox is a R154 (isn't it).

The W58 Dellow Auto definately do short shift kits for the W58, but NOT for the R154.

btw Youngy. if that is for R154, then I might get one, so thanks for the link!
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Quick/short shift kit for W58??? Sat, 19 October 2002 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My bad, didn't realise there were two types of shift kits there, TRD and "C's Short shift kits".

Great site.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quick/short shift kit for W58??? Sat, 19 October 2002 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mm, I think i might go for Bigworms offer Smile
Wasn't expecting to pay that much
Nway, if anyone knows of one thats for sale, im interested.
Thanks
Ben

PS-its a W58!
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quick/short shift kit for W58??? Sat, 19 October 2002 11:37 Go to previous message
If you just want to shorten the shifter (without changing the throw), this is very easy. I did this on my car. At least with w5x gearboxes in xa6xs, there is an ugly stick with a fat nice chrome stick stuck on top that the shift knob screws on to. The two are separated by donut-like bushings (to remove vibration/road noise)... but the top bushing is solid. If you loosen the two sticks by patient use of a heatgun & vice, you can then drill through the top bushing and sit them back together to make the shifter slightly shorter. I went a little further and cut down the ugly stick maybe 10mm too. The chrome stick now sits down far enough that it rests on the bend in the ugly stick (hopes this makes sense).

Still looks stock, feels (and looks) a lot better. Some go further by simply not bothering to put the chrome stick back on, and attaching a universal-type shift knob (type with 3 grub screws) directly to the ugly stick. I tried this, but I really didn't like the heap of road noise/lots of vibration/gearbox whine/overly direct feel. The bushings are obviuously there for a reason.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Damn crappy radiators
Next Topic:AW11 Tyre suggestions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 04:59:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059020519256592 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.