Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

icon8.gif  Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 02:32 Go to next message
Hi all,

I've been wanting to change my gearbox oil (W55) for a while now but the damn filler plug will not budge at all. We've used ring spanners, hammers with ring spanners, tried to fit a breaker bar up there but it's too long and hits the chassis Sad

We also tried an extension on the ring spanner (more torque) but that just saw the spanner almost bending in half Confused

Besides going out and buying a good set of spanners, what can we do? Drop the gearbox and attack it with the rattle gun? Evil or Very Mad

Oh yeh, we gave it a dose of RP7 (no WD40 on hand) but it didn't help even after a good soak-in period!

[Updated on: Wed, 27 October 2004 02:33]

Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe, leave it for another time when the gearbox is actually out of the car. Drop the oil through the bottom plug, then take the console off and fill it through the shifter hole, a LOT easier.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess i'll just have to wait until I get my new clutch then... no point in taking it out until then!

How much oil does the W55 take anyway... I dont feel like overfilling it Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seriously dude, fill it through the shifter hole. It's easier than doing it through my filler hole which regardless I can get out.

It should take about 2.4l.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alrighty, looks like I have something to do this weekend, or after work some time!

I need to take a friday off work very soon I think.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try an air wrench.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not enough room to get it up in there i'm afraid... otherwise i'd have already tried and probably won!

Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OXY Razz
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try filling through the speedo cable that worked for my exa
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah just fill it through the shifter hole

just make sure you pouur in the right amount (ie.. 2.4 litres) or whatever it is
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason - hahahahah Laughing

indian - nah, I can see that ending in me covered with oil Smile

Rob & JCMF - Checked the TSRM and it's apparently about 2.4L
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, isn't that what I said? Very Happy
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good luck dude, mine is stuck on well good.

Even when I had the box out of the car, I couldnt budge it.

I tried break bars with about 5 different sized sockets, but they all just rounded it.

I tried vicegrips that were up UBER tight, and that just rounded it, so I said fuck it.

When the box comes out next (if ever) I will grind it off, and get a new one.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're so smart JCMF Razz
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I had the box out, I could get it off I bet... the rattle can undo ANYTHING Razz

It's just a PITA and too big. Plus our air compressor is too small to give us any more than a quick burst of rattle gun-age Sad Time to get a nice empty LPG tank or similar and increase the capacity Wink
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Tried a cold chisel?

That worked getting the plug out of the t50 in my Sprinter...

Cheers,
Dan
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have access to a MIG welder, try welding a dirty great nut on the filler plug... this means you can use a bigger spanner on it, but you'll find the heat from the welding will probably crack it anyway. This is what I had to do with the filler plug on my diff which refused to budge after spending the best part of a day trying to get it off!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was lucky with my diff filler plug, a little BFI was all it needed.

I don't have access to a MIG welder yet, nor have I ever done anything more than brass welding, but soon I will attempt to have a go at MIG welding.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I undid the one on the supra (I had some pics hosted but I took em down Razz), I hurt my thumb BAD (and then I fainted but hey thats another part of the story Razz).

The previous owner had obviously had a crack at getting it off (more like rounding it Razz) so I got the ring spanner onto it, but that just slipped. So out came the 6 sided socket which I hammered on...breaker bar comes out, and I proceed to start giving myself a hernia. Unfortunately for my thumb it finally gave! In short watch out for the gearbox crossmember Confused Split my thumb past the knuckle, and most of the way across (hmm so thats what the nail near the knuckle looks like Razz)

Oh and to do the diff I used an extended breaker bar and a scissor jack, just get it centered on ok (hold it on while you jack worked for me), and slowly jack it up Wink worked for me Very Happy

Cheers
Wilbo
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ouch!! Shocked

I think i'll just do it the JCMF way Smile
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
same....smacked me knuckles hard on the cross meber getting mine un done.

how much oil should a t50 in a ta22 take?

cheers

Nathan
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1.4 or 1.7l
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, boy, I love it when people try and get their filler plugs off.

Cold chisel works pretty well, and before I put the gearbox in mine, I got neww fill AND dain plugs. Will be doing the same for the diff when I cange that as well

Cheers

Michael B
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This "cold chisel" has me intrigued. Aside from being a bogan icon, can someone explain it to me?

-J-
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Smart arse bastard gearbox oil filler hole Wed, 27 October 2004 23:29 Go to previous message
Place the chisel (sharp end of course) on the flange of the drain plug, and then belt away.

The chisel will dig into the drain plug, and act like an impact wrench, thereby loosening it. Hopefully.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Quick AE86 gearbox/prop shaft question
Next Topic:Surge tank info?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 01:13:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061759948730469 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.