Toymods » General Car Talk » ST162 dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 21 October 2004 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

BTW Rob... your car is only on king lows not super lows right cause it look fat at that height i can't wait!

hey dude no I have H&R Springs and Shocks in mine.. I *think* they are FRACTIONALLY lower than king lows, but much of a muchness really, 'cause I have 15' wheels they really might be almost exactly the same loweredness Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 24 October 2004 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u lucky/rich cunt rob! H&R stuff Shocked !

Yeha i got 15in mags to on 205/50R15 so yeah! Fitted them today and just waiting for it to get off the stands cause i did the driver side wheel bearing and stub axel so yeah then wednesday is the sway bars and bushes!

Nezza Cool
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 25 October 2004 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

u lucky/rich cunt rob! H&R stuff !

hehe

if only you knew how NOT rich I am - comon.. full time un = pooor

(I will let you all in on a secret. I bought the H&R setup second hand for $300 on a written-off celica (which also had the perfect black interior) It had only been on the car about 3 months when it was written off and I came accross them Shocked
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 25 October 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh, so ur just a lucky fornicater then.

what are you doin at uni?

im studying mech engineering and i can still find time to push trolleys thursday nights and all day saturdays.

Its poohouse work, but its worth 170 a week to me, so it'll do!
sik sx
Regular

I supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 25 October 2004 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woah i havent been on for a while i never thought this thread would get so big..anywho straight to the point..i showed my friends dad( a machanic ) my idle and when i turn the lights on etc the idle drops and it normally idles at about 500-600 with out a/c on or lights. when i put a/c it stalls instantly, he said it could be my ignition..he told me to pull it apart and sand down the points with wet & dry..is this worth doing and would i acheve much?..or does anyone have a diagram of the process of taking it apart etc?..any help would be great Surprised
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 25 October 2004 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man try uping your warm idle to about 800 and then with the a/c kicked in the screw and spring thingy no the intake plenum near the T-VIS is the a/c idle/load thingy. fuck with that!

Nezza Cool
oldskoolrolla
Regular

September 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 25 October 2004 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys,

I know my car isnt a ST162, but rather a ST182, but if anyone can help.. Smile

I have a few questions regarding the interchanging of parts between the ST162 & ST182 Celicas and the ST182 Corona EXIV, as pictured below:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/594000-594999/594792_2_full.jpg
^^My baby^^

Theoretically, could the front discs off at ST162/182 GT4 be fitted on to such a vehicle, or would the efforts not be worthwhile? I was thinking of fitting DBA Gold x-drilled rotors for the front (using Camry specifications), or the forementioned GT4 examples, as little info could be found on upgrades for my car. Confused

Also I was considering at 3S-GE head swap on the existing 3S-FE block (or possibly complete 3S-GTE swap)and dumping the 4-speed auto for a 5-speed manual.. the head swap shouldnt be a particularly difficult excercise, however, I am unsure about the manual conversion.. any suggestions? Rolling Eyes

Does anyone have any ideas about suspension upgrades for these vehicles? It is possible to use aftermarket ST162/182 parts (eg springs, shocks, swaybars, etc.) This car has a stock strut brace which will have to do the the time being..

Any other info that anyone can think of would be greatly appreciated, Smile Very Happy Smile

Cheers

Dan Cool
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 25 October 2004 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Were you on the point danger toyota cruise a couple months back man caus ei think i remember that car it nice i like it!

Ummm i wouldn't see why they wouldn't you car just a sedan version of st184 (st184 is 5S-FE) st182 is 3s-ge and st185 is gt-4 3s-gte.

The 3s-gte conversion from a JDM st185 half cut should be easy, easier than what i did! the brake might/should fit to your car from a st185 too!

Nezza Cool
oldskoolrolla
Regular

September 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 26 October 2004 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah Nezz I went on that cruise. I remember your car.. it looked tops on the day, it was a pretty good day all round (except I was cautious driving my car because it overheated the week before and was still playing up with the new radiator and water-pump)

Anyways, shouldnt my one be a sort of sedan version of the ST182, rather than the ST184 because mine runs a 3S?
The extent of suspension mods on my car is adjustable Koni shocks, and thats it really. I might look further into the GT4 brake upgrade, because the brakes on mine, as good as they are when theyre new, are not what they used to be.
Do the 97-now Camry and Celicas share the same stud pattern as the older ST's and SV's? I want to get some new mags that suit the car better.

mmm.. 3s-gte... Very Happy mmm... 5-speed... Very Happy mmm... better suspension... Very Happy Possibilites are looking up...
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 26 October 2004 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Dan,

I must admit I've always been intrigued by the ST182 code for your car.....first time I saw that I thought "hang on, isn't that the code for a 5th gen Celica?" But I figured you must know what you are talking about, lol

Sounds to me like your car is built on the same platform as the ST182 Celica, hence the common codes. I imagine they would share a lot of mechanicals, ie engines (3S series obviously) gearboxes, steering & suspension. You'd probably need to investigate this further (I'm no expert) but it makes sense to me.

Since yours has a 3S engine already, any other 3S series engine (3SGE, 3SGTE) should bolt straight in. Connecting it electrically would probably be another story, but the engine & geearbox mounts would need no mods at all. Out of curiosity, what is your gearbox code?

As for stud patterns, all Celicas from ST162 SX to the current model have a 5x100 stud pattern, and 39mm offset. (Which is why I have been able to fit current model Celica SX wheels to mine.) The exception was the ST162 ST model, which had a 4x100 pattern instead. The SV21 Camry had the 5x100 pattern as well, but from the '93 model onwards they were different.

Cheers,
Matt
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 26 October 2004 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah sorry.. stXX2 is 3S (FWD) base, StXX4 is 5S (FWD) base and StXX5 is GT-4 mofo's

umm yeah, sound like a sleeper posiblitiy to me man, lol!

And don't forget all later model Subau rims are the same 5x100 but different off set liek about 51mm so you'd need spacers to fit on our car, but think of all the plain WRX 16in and 17in rism out there cause everyone get aftermarket rims for them and the rims be a cheap prices!!!

Nezza Cool
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 26 October 2004 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After running my cars AFM three clicks richer, I wound it back to stock for a few days. The car sounded hoarse, and even though it didn't help my performance, I missed the smoothness of the richer mix.

On the weekend I set the AFM two clicks leaner than stock, but I didn't notice any difference (still sounded hoarse, no noticiable performance increase). Courageously set it two further two clicks leaner (making 4 total) and the car is running great!

I haven't noticed any excess heat (always staying under 1/2), but the engine sounds confident through the high rev ranges and tomorrow I'm going to test the performance (against my richer settings). I'm noticing the car is a little harder to turn over (starts on the second try), but other than that, no side effects.

I'll keep on testing it, but what are some warning signs I should look out for if I'm running the car too lean?
oldskoolrolla
Regular

September 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 27 October 2004 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it Smile I am starting to really look forward to looking into what I can do to this car. Very Happy BTW Matt, my gearbox code is A140E which I have no idea what it means other than its a 3-speed auto with electric o/drive Razz . Im concerned about the fitment of WRX rims on toyota, because of the massive offset difference.. I know of someone who fitted them on a SV21 camry and he had massive amounts of scrubbing and fouling against the inner(?) guard. Plus I would have to check the legality of fitting that large-a-spacer on my car, otherwise it'd be awesome with all the choices of wheels that could be fitted..I'd go nuts!! Evil or Very Mad . Rolling Eyes Wouldnt mind getting a set of nice factory toyota rims off a later model Celica or something.

Cheers guys

Dan Cool
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 28 October 2004 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Dan,

Your concern about fitting WRX rims to a Toyota is well founded. The offset on WRX rims is 53mm (I'm pretty sure) which means that they sit 14mm further inwards than before. This is assuming your offest is 39mm, same as a Celica. If the rim itself is wider than the original wheel (say 7" rather than 6" wide) then that will bring the inner sidewall even further inwards again. So rubbing on the strut is almost inevitable, as your friend has found out. Fitting rims of this offset will also reduce your track width (since the rim centrelines move closer together) which is illegal. In QLD you are allowed to increase it by up to 26mm, but not reduce it at all.

Of course fitting spacers would be the solution to all these problems but unfortunately the killjoys at QLD Transport don't allow these to be fitted. There's nothing stopping you of course, but if the car ever gets inspected well then there's a defect striaght away. Plus insurance companies would consider a policy void since the car doesn't comply with regs, somthing else to think about.

The only way around it would therefore be to fit new discs with the wheel mounting surface 14mm further outwards - ie the same effect as spacers but without actually using them. No idea if such a thing exists, and custom made ones would probably cost the earth. But maybe you could check with DBA since you're looking to replace your discs anyway? Wouldn't hurt to ask I guess.

Cheers,
Matt

PS - All this info comes from the "All About Modifications to Motor Vehicles" booklet from QLD Transport. You can get a pdf of it from their website.

oldskoolrolla
Regular

September 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 28 October 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think theres enough choice of wheels out there for the car without jeopardising the chance of receiving defect notices, just gotta keep the eyes peeled.
I think I am going to chrome my stock black strut-brace, to put a little class in the engine.. its a strange one though, because its a 'v' shaped brace, going from one strut tower..extending back to the centre of the firewall, then back out to the other strut tower. Rolling Eyes
Does anyone know if we can get any decent spark plug leads for the 3S? Because I just dont want plain old black ones, the ones I have at the moment are red, but theyre as old as the hills.
And lastly, how much does a CAI kit cost for the 3S-FE?

Cheers

Dan Cool
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 30 October 2004 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heres the car I been working on for quite a while. standard running gear, manual, black interior, low K's, I just chucked some 17's on it, ill defineately lower it once I get it registered and plans of a turbo upgrade is defineately on the list of the things to do...what do you think?

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v293/warrior007/DSC01720.jpg

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v293/warrior007/DSC017101.jpg

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v293/warrior007/DSC017021.jpg

oldskoolrolla
Regular

September 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 30 October 2004 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice SX! Looks in top condition, and appears you have really taken care of it. The mags suit the car nicely.
Good job Very Happy

Dan
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 31 October 2004 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey dude, as i told you in the email, ur ride is kickass.

I spose you know, but it would look kickass when you lower it, and u should prolly look into investing in a ssv front bar to match the rest of ur kit.

i only hope my 162 will look that good someday Smile
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 31 October 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your car looks heaps cool, same kinda colour coding as mine, but where'd you get that body kit?? and how much did you pay, as you know its hard as to find a kit for st162's..
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 31 October 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
warrior! looks awesome dude

once you get rid of what I call the 'giraffe factor'

no man, you know I like it.. it has an almost perfect black interior too! w00t! nice ride!
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 31 October 2004 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST162GT-R wrote on Sun, 31 October 2004 09:55

your car looks heaps cool, same kinda colour coding as mine, but where'd you get that body kit?? and how much did you pay, as you know its hard as to find a kit for st162's..

Its an SSV Body Kit

http://www.ssv.com.au

i will be putting the front bumper on my car end of this year.
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 31 October 2004 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh of course, nah i don't want that one, cost an arm and a leg for the kit last time i remembered.
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 31 October 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST162GT-R wrote on Sun, 31 October 2004 10:34

oh of course, nah i don't want that one, cost an arm and a leg for the kit last time i remembered.

i think you will find that will be the case no matter what
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 31 October 2004 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys...yea that is the SSV kit and it does cost an arm a leg...lucky it was on the car when i bought it Very Happy Very Happy as for the giraffe factor...give me a break Rob..cant get blue slip when its lowered, also gotta put the flares on 1st to allow for the Shocked 9inch Shocked racing harts to go on later.
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 31 October 2004 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Warior that SX is PHAT top stuff! Very Happy I like it with just the rear and skirts (that no door panel's right) and what/where u gettign the flares from cause i want flares on mine and will need it so i can get some 235 under the fornt tyres, lol!

Nezza Cool
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 31 October 2004 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
warrior wrote on Sun, 31 October 2004 03:10

heres the car I been working on for quite a while. standard running gear, manual, black interior, low K's, I just chucked some 17's on it, ill defineately lower it once I get it registered and plans of a turbo upgrade is defineately on the list of the things to do...what do you think?

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v293/warrior007/DSC01720.jpg

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v293/warrior007/DSC017101.jpg

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v293/warrior007/DSC017021.jpg

Your car looks great, I cant wait to start work on mine. I should be starting in less than 2 months
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 01 November 2004 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3S-GE_Man wrote on Sun, 31 October 2004 17:39

Warior that SX is PHAT top stuff! Very Happy I like it with just the rear and skirts (that no door panel's right) and what/where u gettign the flares from cause i want flares on mine and will need it so i can get some 235 under the fornt tyres, lol!

Nezza Cool

havent sourced any flares yet...but trying to get my hands on some MA61 supra flares and mould them to fit 162...or maybe even holden adventurer...ill see how it goes and keep u posted
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 02 November 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeha man thanks have u seen the realy nice blue st162 in the nerthlands that has mr2 box and st205 engien all the shit and that!!!! it got some nice flarers.. i got a couple of picys...

Nezza Cool
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 02 November 2004 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats EDWIN st162 project....i have seen that site ...like far out...how much work went into that beast...i wonder which flares he used....im gonna PM him...ill hope he doesnt wanna keep it a secret Razz
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 02 November 2004 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edwin's project ST162 is one fantastic looking Celica Smiley =

I recently agreed to buy the fog lights and the custom suspension he got made up for the car.

Koni yellow adjustable and Ground Control springs
http://www.tccn.nl/st162/forsale/t16-coilovers-01.jpg

Fog lights (night)
http://www.tccn.nl/st162/deel59/nr11.jpg

Fog lights (day)
http://www.tccn.nl/st162/forsale/t16-fogs-02.jpg

Came to $140 Australian shipping, which isn't that bad. Should have them paid off and delivered in about 6 weeks.

A few more pictures of the car, just because it rocks Smiley =

http://www.tccn.nl/st162/deel38/nr6.jpg
http://www.tccn.nl/st162/deel38/nr7.jpg
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 02 November 2004 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your shitting me?

You paid only $140 for that custom suspension system? I must have read that wrong, because that would be a FUCKEN good deal.

Cheers

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 02 November 2004 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is NO WAY that you paid $140 for that suspension!

I have been drooling over it for ages and wishinig I could buy it, and I would DIE if you got it for $140!
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 02 November 2004 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think you'll find that it reads $140 for SHIPPING, and if you ask me thats frickin cheap as - i thought it would be at least 3 times that! Either way nice buy dude, have fun with em. And warriar, jeez that looks sweet.
Oh and guys, what oils are you using. time for another change and just wanna see whats goin through. ATM i have toyota grade, 10W-50 i think. Cheers guys.
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 03 November 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry about my sloppy wording! I wrote it just before I went to bed. Yeah, the $140 was just for shipping - which is much less than I expected. The rest of it was a thousand or so more Wink

I'm using 25w-70 oil in my car. 'Shell Helix Plus Sport 50'
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 03 November 2004 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
awesome setup tho' dude

you use a 25-SEVENTY!?

heck. must be some big ol' clearances on your car dude

I use Shell Helix Ultra 15-50
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 03 November 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, 25-70 WTF Laughing

try Mobil 1, 5w-50, i use and recommend it
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 03 November 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, the 3SGE runs pretty hot and my engine is getting old (burning 3 litres of oil a month), so I went with a thicker oil. Runs well Smiley =
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 03 November 2004 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5W might not be the best if your engine is heaps old tho' you reckon?

the 5w can cause leaks and not provide enough oil to separate the parts properly if it's oldish.

but it is very good I hear for newwer/well looked after engines

mobile 1 is exxxxxxy as too Smile
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 03 November 2004 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The weather is always warm here in Perth, so I'm not worried about wrecking a pump pushing around thick, cold oil Smiley =

I was advised to go with thick oil by an old petrol head - not sure how sound the advice is.
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 03 November 2004 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, for oldish vehicles 5w aren't recommended but mines been rebuilt, sooooo, good stuff tho, the engine revs on forever Smile
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 03 November 2004 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well.. by the time it is hot, Mobil 1 is a "50", as is the Shell stuff I use

if their viscocities (sp) are the same when hot, then would'nt they be able to rev similarly?

just a thought... I don't know heaps about oil
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 03 November 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i use and only have been since the turbo conversion... Penrite semi synthetic HPR 15 (15W-60) good stuff!

Nezza Cool
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 04 November 2004 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
someone please inform me, is the front bar a total bumper replacement?

also, anyone interested in k&n panel filters, this website delievers them for $123 aussie dollars anywhere.

http://www.autospeed.com
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 04 November 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt-itude wrote on Thu, 04 November 2004 21:47

I assume you are talking about the SSV front bar...if so...then no it is not a full replacement. they replace the skin only and keep the steel re-inforcement that bolts onto the chasis , and cut off the tow loop thingy's.
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 04 November 2004 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
warrior wrote on Thu, 04 November 2004 20:09

Matt-itude wrote on Thu, 04 November 2004 21:47

I assume you are talking about the SSV front bar...if so...then no it is not a full replacement. they replace the skin only and keep the steel re-inforcement that bolts onto the chasis , and cut off the tow loop thingy's.

well i have a rooted front bumper and i want to replace it, its warped and has paint scraped off it, will the ssv front bar fix this?
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 04 November 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the ssv front bar will replace the existing skin that is on your front bar, it is huge and has quite a bit of weight compared to the standard 162 front skin, bare in mind you will still have to paint it and if your car is lowered it is going to be subjected to a lot of punishment being fibreglass, like chips cracking etc, the standard 162 front can handle that kind of battering becuase of the front lip, but I dont recommend the SSV front for durability, you are better off buying a good second hand bar for $100 rather than spend $400(i think) for the SSV front. but then again its up to u mate.
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 04 November 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is there any places that i could find a good stock bumper, or a st165 bumper preferably?
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 04 November 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st165 front bar are very rare and expensive, but you never know your luck, best thing to do is just ring around some wreckers, the 162 bar shouldnt be that hard to find, but I would keep looking until I foung the right one in the colur of my car so that you wouldnt have to paint it, and red is quite common.
oldskoolrolla
Regular

September 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 04 November 2004 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just touching back on the subject of oils, I personally use Penrite HPR 15, same as 3SGE_Man.. I had my car serviced at Toyota, using Toyota oil, and I thought it was crap! Penrite HPR 15, for the price ($27-28 for 5 Litres), is a really good choice. Smile
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 05 November 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey can anyone of you guys do us a favour?? could you take a picture of your factory ECU's?? the plug area?? or let me know what colour the frame of the plug-in's are, mine are yellow i think?? or green was it, i forget already, can you guys tell me what colours yours are??
Coomer
Occasional Poster

August 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 05 November 2004 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys, what's up? I've been reading the site for a while, but this is my first post. Very Happy

Anyway, I'm from the US and I have two Celicas...a sixth gen. with a 20V 4A-GE, and I just bought a fourth gen. Celica GT-S, which is like the SX I believe...it has the 3S-GE in it. Smile I got the car for $1,500 USD and it seems to be in pretty healthy shape.

Anyway, I just thought I'd actually post after doing all this reading. Wink

Oh, and here's a photo of my car if anyone is interested...it won't be stock for long. Very Happy

http://www.ccoomer.com/88gts/photos/11_01_04/front_right.jpg
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 05 November 2004 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Julian, can't help you with the piccies mate sorry! my ecu is way to far buried at the moment lol

Coomer! Nice 6-Way Adjustable seats you have there Very Happy They were a rarely bought factory option here.

Manual or auto? and the mirrors are colour coded.. hmm wonder what else was changed for the US, the sill/skirt looks a different shape too around the side.

good price too, they are bullet proof cars dude what are your planned mods?

Rob Smile
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 05 November 2004 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob u can spot everything you beat me to it...

btw i thought u were coming round this arvo...

u didnt mention the front indicators

[Updated on: Fri, 05 November 2004 13:05]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 05 November 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol, doh! forgot the indicators.. my eagle eyes let me down lol Very Happy

Karl! mate I didn't get off work till about 8.20pm tonight and had to go straight to an 18th! sorry

anyway, I would love to come around tomorrow sometime if that's ok, if you want to text me your number could I come around? My number is 0412 184 470
Coomer
Occasional Poster

August 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 05 November 2004 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob, it's a manual(I had another fourth gen. with a 3S-FE, but it was an auto and I couldn't stand it.) The car has every option available from the factory I think, including a sunroof, leather, power-lumbar support, air conditioning, ABS, etc. Yes, the turn signals are different as well. Wink And as far as the mirrors, the '88 and '89 models in the US had color-matched mirrors. '86 and '87 have black ones.

And it looks like the tail-lights are different as well, as you can see in this photo:

http://www.ccoomer.com/88gts/photos/11_01_04/rear_left.jpg

I'm not sure what else is different. I need to get me a pair of those turn signals that you guys have other there...I love that look so much more. Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 05 November 2004 16:56]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 05 November 2004 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3SFE auto *shudder* Wink

yeah the turn signals are strange! where are your parker lights?

does it have CRUISE control? Very Happy Yeah the tail lights are slightly different too. The aussie SX had a twin-tip muffler, but yours could be a replacement

the aussie ones didn't get ABS Sad

Looks really nice and straight dude I like keep us all informed on your progress
Coomer
Occasional Poster

August 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 06 November 2004 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the comments. I agree about the 3S-FE auto...that thing was horrible to drive. Wink

What do you mean by "parker lights?" Are those the bulbs in the upper clear part of the corner light assemblies on your Aussie cars? Is the turn signal a single filament bulb in the amber part below that? In the US, there is a dual filament bulb inside the corner light...it lights up when the parking lights are on, and lights a lot brighter when it blinks with the turn signals.

I do have cruise control, and it works, although the speedometer doesn't...do you know if the speedometer cable has to be working for cruise control to work? Because I'm hoping that my speedometer itself is just broken, so that I can replace that easily.

My muffler is indeed a replacement...I found a receipt of a new muffler install in the glovebox when I bought the car.

I'll be sure to keep you guys informed. My first mods are going to be tightening up the feel of the shifter, an alarm, and some suspension work. Smile
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 06 November 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice clean car dude and welcome.

the aus spec has the clear parker light at the top, the lower part is used as an indicator only and yes they are seperate.

good luck with the car.
Coomer
Occasional Poster

August 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 06 November 2004 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice to know...I really need to get myself a set of those at some point. Anyone want to trade? Razz
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 06 November 2004 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
well dude they are very light and would not be hard to ship over

be pretty cool and origional for you - there are two bulbs in there and a single plug to the wiring, but it could not be hard to wire something up

someone will have spares here.. Karl, my money is on you Wink
Pages (63): [ «  <  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: '76 Corona MKII
Next Topic:Old photos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 09:52:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.014096021652222 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.