Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Track Talk » 122km/h in a 60km/h zone.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Fri, 23 July 2004 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,
My old man got caught about 5 years ago doing 120 in a 60 zone down near Shell refinery, North Shore. He lost his licence for 6 months and got a fine (not sure how much). He lived in Geelong and worked in Melb, ended up renting a flat for 6 months so he could ride a bike to work.
Made the most of it tho - spent a lot of his spare time going to clubs (picture 55 year old in flanelette shirt cutting up the dancefloor) and getting fit.

Dunno what my point is...
Oh yeah, stay positive - things will work themselves out.
  Send a private message to this user    
2tg-ta22
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Fri, 06 August 2004 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
r u bragging about doin 120 in a 60 zone or whinging about getten caught???? if u gonna speed use ur brains and do it where u aint gonna get caught... if u bragging about doin double the speed limit i wouldnt cause i done more then triple the speedlimit (no not in a 40 km/h zone) i learnt though the commo wagon aint to good on the brakes and only just made it through the tiny single lane roundabout at 80 k's
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Fri, 06 August 2004 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its neither a brag fest nor a whinge session. It was basically an outlet for a bunch of stuff on my mind at the time.

As it happens, it is now 5 weeks and 2 days since the alleged offence and I still haven't received a ticket. I am starting to think they may have screwed up the photo or stuffed the evidence in some way because it has been a while. Confused
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Fri, 06 August 2004 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont ya just LOVE the suspense... Rolling Eyes
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Fri, 06 August 2004 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you may have gotten away with mate Smile (hopefully)
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Sat, 07 August 2004 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arch wrote on Sat, 07 August 2004 08:14

dont ya just LOVE the suspense... Rolling Eyes

Yeah, I kinda told myself that if after 6 weeks it hasn't come then it probably wont... Deep down I know that until at least 6 months has passed then it may still be on its way, just taking the scenic route. Sad
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Sun, 08 August 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you were lucky dude. If it aint there now i think your fine.

Any fines my mates have had all arrived with in 2 weeks.

I'm just hopeing i got off, went past a speed camera bout 3 days ago at about 110kmh in a 100zone. The camera dident flash, and it was on the other side of the road, so i think im fine.

ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Mon, 09 August 2004 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dunno why but i found this thread so amusing...stuff some guys have said just cracked me up Laughing

SIMDOG - i think your safe dude, i've had multiple flashes and incidences where surely i was to recieve a fine, but nothing turned up- hell, i even sat in a highway patrol car with an officer who wrote me the fine out - but he didn't even send it to me Rolling Eyes
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Mon, 09 August 2004 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont be surprised if it turns up 1 year late

lol
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Mon, 09 August 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's been 5 years since that incident !
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Mon, 09 August 2004 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i was doing 100-105 km/h on lygon street just the other day with 2 other cars. This happens when 3 malaysian drivers drive together.

Anyway, what happens if u get caught doing 100+ in a 60 km/h zone if ur on an international driver's license?
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Tue, 10 August 2004 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u get deported. Laughing
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Tue, 10 August 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Mon, 09 August 2004 22:55

well i was doing 100-105 km/h on lygon street just the other day with 2 other cars. This happens when 3 malaysian drivers drive together.

Anyway, what happens if u get caught doing 100+ in a 60 km/h zone if ur on an international driver's license?

You get deported back to Malaysia where you have to drive a shitty Proton 12V taxi on gas for the rest of your days, and never get above 2000 rpm or 40 kms/h.. Laughing Laughing
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Tue, 10 August 2004 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but speeding is very very very acceptable back home Very Happy Very Happy
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Tue, 10 August 2004 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you get charged with driving at a dangerous speed (or what ever the legal term for it is) it wouldn't surprise me if u get deported...

p.s: this isn't 'back home'

[Updated on: Tue, 10 August 2004 10:47]

clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Tue, 17 August 2004 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't be surprised if it turns up 2 days shy of 6 mths. This is how mine came about. Also 2 days before the court date. Took 8 appearances in 9 mths before the police/dpp hand their paperwork completed. 12 mths, $800 and conviction. All because a drunk pedestrian decided he could stop my car. Well it kinda worked
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Thu, 19 August 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh.. 122 in a 60 zone Rolling Eyes , try 178 in a 60 zone... hmm maybe thats why i lost my license Mad .
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Thu, 19 August 2004 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smt_007 wrote on Thu, 19 August 2004 21:34

meh.. 122 in a 60 zone Rolling Eyes , try 178 in a 60 zone... hmm maybe thats why i lost my license Mad .

ummm ur a nutcase? seriously tho, it must have taken u aaaaggesss to reach that speed in ur camry.. dont do that... lol
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Fri, 20 August 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont worry im not that crazy anymore, that was back in the old days, pre license loss time, ie. 2 days ago Razz . Its only been two days and im going crazy, first day i didnt drive but i did today its like a drug, i didnt realise how dependant i was on my car before. After i get my license back il be getting a faster car, i want to get a TT soarer or a mr2 turbo and fully kit it up with a Radar detector, radar jammer etc so im prepared nextime Twisted Evil .

If im doing those speeds in a camry imagine whats acheivable in a Turbo Toyota Very Happy. The Fastest car ive been in was a R33 GTR Built by Subzero Permormance, 437kw@all 4 wheels, going 283km/hr, i felt like i was flying Cool, at those speeds outside scenery is pretty much a blur Confused.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 August 2004 11:40]

woznoz
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Sat, 21 August 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got my licence on a friday i lost 3 points on the next friday 75 in a 60zone i was draggin a VT and i was even with him aswell, i learnt my lesson its not as big but in queensland aus, p's last for 3 yrs and of 4 points, take 1 yr from the day u pay the offence to get the points back damn, and mum wouldnt take mine Sad
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Wed, 06 October 2004 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's been a while now, 3 months... I haven't received the fine for the little Beaconsfield Pde incident.

I got another speeding fine, for doing 55 in a 50 zone, in the mail yesterday though. I think that pretty much confirms that the other one probably isn't coming. The 55km/h one only took 10 days to come in the mail.

I think I'm free. Very Happy I hope. Rolling Eyes
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Wed, 06 October 2004 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meh I wouldnt worry about it dude. Maybe you were going too fast and your number plate ended up to be a blur? Very Happy
I got done (well it flashed the car 2 cars in front of me, the car in front of me... and my car) by a red light camera before.. and didnt get the fine. Sometimes those things just dont work.

P.S. Don't ask me what I was thinking when I ran the red light while I noticed the 2 cars ahead getting flashed too.

Yian
Goose
Regular

April 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Wed, 06 October 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takes about a month for it to come, it will be dropped off by some boys in blue, say you were trying to sell your car someone took it for a test drive and you don't know their name or details, you keep your license and only cop a medium sized fine.

140 in a 70 taught me that.

ps. don't just say it and don't learn anything from it relise there is a time and place and doing well over the speed limit on public roads is not smart. i've learnt since and havn't had a single fine since, only a failure to go to driver intervention program (didn't go coz it would cost me more money go than to pay the fine)

[Updated on: Wed, 06 October 2004 07:19]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Wed, 06 October 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
55 in a 50 zone?
that's teh ghey.. fpc?
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Thu, 07 October 2004 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with such small speed breaches has anyone argued speedo calibration in court?

How can ADR's specify a speed accuracy of 10% but a speed camera
discrepency of only 3km?

10% of 60 = 6.

So you could be doing indicated 60, but really 66 and get done
by a camera which could be 2 kays out itself, and be detected at
68km/h And this is all with you driving right on the dot of 60km/h!!!

Speed Kills ---> 10 years of a repititious campaing and brainwashed the general population into 'speed kills'!
bah!!

tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Thu, 07 October 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good to hear you got off on that

I got waved in after being clocked at 125 in a 60 zone, that was gay , got $700 fine and was lucky to get 1year probation, since then Ive tried to be a more conscientious driver , and no fines yet. Probation has come and gone and i think the scare was good for me . I'm not saying that i don't speed any more , but i do pay more attention to where and when i speed and also don't speed to such an extent. Don't speed if you cant afford to lose you license/pay the fine,because as long as there are assholes with cameras and radar guns and money to be made your gonna get caught eventually
fractoid
Regular

September 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Sun, 10 October 2004 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is it with all the people who speed excessively in 60 zones? I'm definitely not one to cast any stones if we're talking about booting it on the freeway, but around houses / side roads I try and take it easy. Of course, you always get those dead-straight six lane highways that are designated 60 zones due to politicians trying to win over the grannies, but letting rip in a suburb is just asking for trouble, more of the crashing-and-spilling-your-guts variety than the judicial variety.

While I'm ranting, wtf is up with people in Perth on the freeway? This damn 'speed kills' campaign must be rotting peoples' brains, half the traffic on the freeway travels at 80km/h or less, in a 100km/h zone. One L-plater (!) on Friday was doing 60. Doing 40 under the limit is at least as dangerous as doing 20 over. >:/
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Sun, 10 October 2004 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Tue, 20 July 2004 00:22

Ah CRAP... so it is still coming. It's like a homing missile. Sad

Mine took 3 months. I was doing around 70 in a 60 zone with my dad in the car and he didn't notice. If you gradually increase your speed parents don't seem to care but if they hear the car rev it's "SLOW DOWN!" straight away lol.
Lucky for me it was addressed to my dad obviously and I was just all like "Nah, it must've been you" Rolling Eyes
And he believed me Wink
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Sun, 10 October 2004 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Mon, 09 August 2004 23:25

My Malaysian friend was driving me to the city from Burwood in Sydney and it felt like it took 5 minutes :S
He was pretty much going at around 140 the whole way. He's been flashed heaps and stuff but because he's a rich international bitch they just continually fine him and he doesn't lose his license. His parents bought him a place here and gave him money to buy the FTO. I'm sure they'll find some money for the fines.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Sun, 10 October 2004 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hemi twofifteen turbo wrote on Thu, 07 October 2004 21:11

How can ADR's specify a speed accuracy of 10% but a speed camera
discrepency of only 3km?

The speedo accuracy at GMH is to within =/- 2km/hr at 130 km/hr during the test after the car rolls off the line. The 10% specified by the ADR is just a guideline on max and min.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Fri, 15 October 2004 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thu187 wrote on Mon, 11 October 2004 03:23

My Malaysian friend was driving me to the city from Burwood in Sydney and it felt like it took 5 minutes :S
He was pretty much going at around 140 the whole way. He's been flashed heaps and stuff but because he's a rich international bitch they just continually fine him and he doesn't lose his license. His parents bought him a place here and gave him money to buy the FTO. I'm sure they'll find some money for the fines.

how did he keep his license??

And about those who are bitching about ppl speeding, this is a bloody car enthusiast website!! although it is not encouraged, this is something u should expect!! I cant imagine a car enthusiast who keeps his heavy right foot off the fun pedal for a month or more b4 going to the tracks!! unless ur a rich ba***rd who goes to the tracks every week!!
fractoid
Regular

September 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Sat, 16 October 2004 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Sat, 16 October 2004 04:07

And about those who are bitching about ppl speeding, this is a bloody car enthusiast website!! although it is not encouraged, this is something u should expect!! I cant imagine a car enthusiast who keeps his heavy right foot off the fun pedal for a month or more b4 going to the tracks!! unless ur a rich ba***rd who goes to the tracks every week!!

I dunno if you meant me (some others were kinda more nasty) but if so, reread my post as meaning "speed gooood, crash baaaad". 235 on freeway at 4am is A-OK with me, 65 through a school zone or 120 on suburban streets gets big frownies. Most 60 zones (that I can think of) have lots of side streets, people walking around etc. ie. there is a substantial danger of you killing someone else if you cock it up.

As for keeping off the happy pedal for a month - piss of. My limit is about 12 hours... Wink Which brings me to ask, as you did, how did that guy keep his license? Can points on your international license follow you home? If not I think I'll 'move to singapore' and become an exchange student here. Smile
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Sat, 16 October 2004 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Sat, 16 October 2004 06:07

thu187 wrote on Mon, 11 October 2004 03:23

not u at all mate. im referring to those ppl who talk as though they drive like grannies. if a person drives like a granny, what the heel r u doin on these forums?? Speeed nazi??
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Mon, 25 October 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOLLL ive done 160 in a 60 zone but it was at 5 in the morning not a soul n the street and i was chasing the train to the next station to get my dad on ot for work as he missed it at out station , he was holding on and frozen stiff when we stopped ,

btw hees to scared to drive , lolllllllllllllll

ive scared him even more
Galactic Soap
Regular

December 2003
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Wed, 27 October 2004 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I personally think I need a discount card from the RTA. I've lost my licence a total of 3 times Shocked Sad And twice in the space of two weeks !!!! I dealt with, yeah sure it was hard, but hey I did the crime, and I sure as hell did the time. The money saved spured me on to my 4AGTE Convo, lol.

Cheers
Soapy
Neal Pallotta
Regular

June 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Wed, 27 October 2004 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As for me... I thought I was fine, that the police officer I encountered had dropped the charges or realised he had not enough evidence that I was actually driving my .. unregistered, unroadworthy (only rust) .. Celica TA46 on the road (Unlicenced), but six weeks after the event I got a letter in a Victorian Police envelope and I felt like such a criminal. I hid everything, -everything- from my mum. She still doesn't know, I'm good at knowing who to tell and who not to. I went to "a job interview" (court) and "a program to get my first aid certificate" (Corrections), and came out of the experience on a positive note. But our magistrate is smart, and fair. At eighteen, and I had no prior offences, plus came dressed impeccably neatly, and had a reasonable explanation (I needed to sell my car). Unfortunately, the wheels were stopped by this -- so I'm doing up the car to keep.

An Alfetta in perfect nick for $500 slipped through my fingers, when a cop decided my car looked like the one he had seen on the road earlier. The lying bastard painted me up a treat, saying he knew everything from the start, and that's what really riles me.

A: He did not see the numberplate and run a check on it, as he said he did (he only noticed one plate, he told me in person, and thought I had a 'bodgy' plate on; He "didn't see the number, but it was a slimline plate".

B: He did not see the numberplate on my car in the garage. There were no distinguishing features to set this car apart from dozens of other Celicas around (At least not to him; When I gave him the VIN/Chassis he said "But it's an RA40B, why're you telling me it says TA46?"

C: He could not have identified me, with the tinted glass installed, as he said he did both in person (stress was on his voice, let me tell you) and in court.

Also, he tried to nail me for speeding! When I explained to the magistrate that I would not have done anything to draw attention to myself this issue was brought out of contention, but I was still charged with the following.

Unregistered Vehicle on Highway
Unsupervised driving on Learner's Permit
Failure to display "L" plates
False Identification or Labels (even though the numberplate was the car's, just expired).

The magistrate listened to my contentions and the charge was laid at $200 and court costs; I had this transferred to community service, and I was given an opportunity to recieve my first aid certificate, properly accredited by Gippsland TAFE.

So I can't say I was too unhappy, but I still resent how that policeman tried to treat me.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Wed, 27 October 2004 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arrghh bastard cops i just got a speeding tik , suspension of liscence for 6 months and 6 points and a 360 dollar fine for 90 in a 50 zone (was runnin glate for th etrain i know its no excuse )was in a residential area right next to home , muthafcuker was hiding behind a tree and pounced onto the road suddenly that when i realised id got done anyways i asked for it and i deserve it but i havent done that in my street till today first time and i got caught Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

of course ive sped more than that before but not ina residential area

[Updated on: Wed, 27 October 2004 22:49]

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Thu, 28 October 2004 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This thread offers some interesting insight into peoples driving habits.

Like most "fun" driving there is a time and place (a residential area is not really the place at any time for doing triple the speed limit Rolling Eyes )

Know your abilities and limits and those of your car. A late model car recently decided to do around 180km/h down the dual carriage road near my place (speed limit 100km/h). The dip shit did this at around 3pm in mild traffic, he got his speed up down a gradual hill and caught the traffic in front, his obvious inexperience did not allow him to judge his braking distance as he approached the cars in front, he locked up, slid into centre barrier which launched the car into the air, then it landed and must have flipped several times as it slid to a stop more than a couple of hundred metres past it's initial lockup. The car burst into flames, the driver and 3 passengers all died. I came down the road as the car was on fire and police etc were arriving. The distance that the car had travelled after hitting the wall was absolutely amazing, they must have been really moving. This type of incident is what I define as F$%KING stupidity and a sad waste of 4 lives (lucky not to have taken others with them).

If the driver had decided to impress his lady friends with the great skill required in firmly planting your right foot into the accelerator pedal on a straight road when the road was clear of other cars they would no doubt still be here today Rolling Eyes

I think if most people realised how long it will take them to stop at these sorts of speed and how shit their cars handle and stop from these speeds they might think twice. But they just don't know this until it's too late in most cases.

I am not saying don't do fun/stupid stuff in a car (most people do at some stage), but choose your time and place well like some people have said. So if you do come to grief you only take yourself out not innocent members of the public.

I have a reasonable street car (12 seconds over the quarter and does ok lap times at the track), I love to give my car a boot full when ever I can. I can say that I have never lost a point on my licence though and I do all the dodgy shit that everyone else does, I just pick and choose my time and place.

Just getting in the car and doing the speed limit has a certain level of risk involved, everything we do involves risk. Be smart about what you do though so you can minimise the risk to yourself and others and enjoy your car for a long time to come.

Take care...........

[Updated on: Thu, 28 October 2004 02:20]

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Thu, 28 October 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Thu, 28 October 2004 12:16

I think if most people realised how long it will take them to stop at these sorts of speed and how shit their cars handle and stop from these speeds they might think twice. But they just don't know this until it's too late in most cases.

I can't agree more. An example of how long it can take to stop (a bit extreme, but to the point).

In a motoring test of the 959 Porsche on an Autobahn in Germany, the journo was riding with a Porsche test driver to demonstrate the top speed. They reached about 300km/hr.

Theyu then discussed, that even with his skills, experience and the fantastic brakes and suspension of this car, it would take over 1000 metres for the car to stop !!!!!!!!

People just don't realise how much ground you cover at those speeds. Rolling Eyes
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Thu, 28 October 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Thu, 28 October 2004 12:16

Just getting in the car and doing the speed limit has a certain level of risk involved, everything we do involves risk. Be smart about what you do though so you can minimise the risk to yourself and others and enjoy your car for a long time to come.

Take care...........

i think there is heaps more risk just doing the speed limit.

1. u look at meter as much as looking at road, unless u have cruise contrl but then u would have less concentration with that.

2. If following limit at say a 60 zone in a bloody long straight road (heaps in melbourne), it would be so bloody boring that u would not concentrate on driving much and even fall asleep!!??

I have personally flipped my car 180degrees b4. This was a late night few yrs back on the way home. I was already 3 mins away frm home and decided to keep speed limit. Fell asleep, car drifted to the side, hit something on the rd that got the car off balanced and then hit a rd sign and the car flipped!!

Reckon i was doing around 40-50. Fell asleep after a speed hump on 2nd gear. Opened my eyes and rd was on the top!

i agree with evrything ke382TG says but i would like to point out that not all accidents happen because of speeding. drivin slow interstate would only lower ur concentration level (in general), and it is safer to speed AT TIMES.

nuff said
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Thu, 28 October 2004 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i would like to point out that not all accidents happen because of speeding. drivin slow interstate would only lower ur concentration level (in general), and it is safer to speed AT TIMES.

I agree and wasn't implying that this is the case either.

I think that most smart people know that lots of crashes are caused by:

Lack of experience and skill by drivers (regardless of speed, things can go wrong at any speed i.e. car park crashes at 10km/h Rolling Eyes )

Being tired, drive the Hume Hwy in the evening between Canberra and Melbourne and watch how many cars wander all over the road as they push on trying to complete their 8 hour drive while falling asleep. Also take note of how many sections of road side armco have enormous recent damage without a single skid mark before the hit, someone fell asleep??

Driving beyond ones abilities and the "abilities" of their vehicle is another big factor. Driving my commuter car (which is completely roadworthy and stock) I would not have a hope in hell of avoiding multiple objects at 100km/h if a problem occured (eg a 2 car accident on the road as you came over a crest), but in my "toy" car the same situation would not present as much of a problem, so I drive each car accordingly.

I know what you mean about driving slow and losing concentration, falling asleep etc. I do a lot of long trips up and down the East coast and at times it can be hard to focus when the drive gets boring and "slow". I am usually lucky enough to be able to swap drivers or take a 10 minute power nap (they do help for a bit).

The other big problem is just plain old being taken out by some moron and not having a single thing you can do about it (had this happen)

Common sense is the key in all this (just a pity that common sense appears to be on the decline), 130km/h on a 3 lane Hwy with little or no traffic, whilst alert, in a car with reasonable handling and brakes is obviously no real issue (unless you drive past Mr Plod).

But the same scenario whilst tired, or weaving through heavy traffic, or driving a clappped out 120Y with blown shocks and poorly maintained brakes is another story (the 120Y is probably not a good example for doing 130km/h Laughing )

Just remember it's not the speed that kills it's the sudden stop when you hit something that will probably do it!

b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Thu, 28 October 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Thu, 28 October 2004 16:05

Quote:

i would like to point out that not all accidents happen because of speeding. drivin slow interstate would only lower ur concentration level (in general), and it is safer to speed AT TIMES.

I agree and wasn't implying that this is the case either.

I think that most smart people know that lots of crashes are caused by:

Lack of experience and skill by drivers (regardless of speed, things can go wrong at any speed i.e. car park crashes at 10km/h Rolling Eyes )

Being tired, drive the Hume Hwy in the evening between Canberra and Melbourne and watch how many cars wander all over the road as they push on trying to complete their 8 hour drive while falling asleep. Also take note of how many sections of road side armco have enormous recent damage without a single skid mark before the hit, someone fell asleep??

Driving beyond ones abilities and the "abilities" of their vehicle is another big factor. Driving my commuter car (which is completely roadworthy and stock) I would not have a hope in hell of avoiding multiple objects at 100km/h if a problem occured (eg a 2 car accident on the road as you came over a crest), but in my "toy" car the same situation would not present as much of a problem, so I drive each car accordingly.

I know what you mean about driving slow and losing concentration, falling asleep etc. I do a lot of long trips up and down the East coast and at times it can be hard to focus when the drive gets boring and "slow". I am usually lucky enough to be able to swap drivers or take a 10 minute power nap (they do help for a bit).

The other big problem is just plain old being taken out by some moron and not having a single thing you can do about it (had this happen)

Common sense is the key in all this (just a pity that common sense appears to be on the decline), 130km/h on a 3 lane Hwy with little or no traffic, whilst alert, in a car with reasonable handling and brakes is obviously no real issue (unless you drive past Mr Plod).

But the same scenario whilst tired, or weaving through heavy traffic, or driving a clappped out 120Y with blown shocks and poorly maintained brakes is another story (the 120Y is probably not a good example for doing 130km/h Laughing )

Just remember it's not the speed that kills it's the sudden stop when you hit something that will probably do it!

Totally agree!!

great minds think alike Cool Cool
bstjunkie
Regular

July 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Thu, 28 October 2004 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude i sorta know how it feels, i always have that worry when i speed that i may get caught but touch wood ive neva been booked for speeding, but rather than everyone telling you your punishments your going to without a licnence for 12 months and $1000 fines etc, you get wat u get, suck it in, and do wat my friends doin take a trip ovaseas and it will be ova in no time Smile. Dude you will be laughin at this some time down the track Wink, Oh yeh i did wat u did once i tryed to talk the cop outta it, i was told by the cop he was going to defect me for havin bold tyres and he got my licence details address etc and he said he will send it in the mail and it neva came Smile , i think the guy did this to me as a warning to scare me. I hope its the same for you, but dont take advantage of it take it as if u received the fine

[Updated on: Thu, 28 October 2004 11:04]

Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Fri, 29 October 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey yeh my mate got 3 months suspension and dedcided to drive over the 3 months he has an auto license and drives a manual and he had a week left on suspension and got caught speeding plus drivin on suspended licnese and wrong license , he just got his license bak and is driving and is now facing 6 months and i dunno the fine i think like 500 , anyway yeh
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 122km/h in a 60km/h zone. Sat, 13 November 2004 09:19 Go to previous message
FYI, they can remove the picture...

Friends GF was driving home from a gig close to midnight... saw a flash... went upto the car... saw a sixpack of beer being slid behind the passenger seat Shocked... needless to say when he said he could NOT remove the picture and the beers were mentioned... no fine Evil or Very Mad
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:look at me! im drive 40 on 60 road! im SAFE!
Next Topic:Nailed a bluebird sss
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 07:40:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0098249912261963 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.