Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

18rg crank pully for supercharger Thu, 28 October 2004 01:48 Go to next message
Hi,
Just after some options opnions on how to do the crank pully for my soon to be supercharged 18rg. I am using an sc14.

It has been mentioned that a hilux 2Y crank pully could be the go, however i have only managed to find hiace 1Y and 2Y's at the wreckers, and they are only a 3 rib blet, where the supercharger requires a 5 rib i think..But im still unsure if this will fit up to the 18rg crank.

I should find a belt catalouge and have a look throught it igues.

Other options are to use a water pump pully as they have a decent dish on them and could be bolted to the old crank by turning the old crank pully down and then using the threaded holes already in it.

Have also seen a few random bolt on pulleys at the wreckers, yet to investigate further, one was off a 4a FWD 'thing', where it had a v-belt main pully then a rib belt bolted to it.

Other option is full custom made everything and change to a gilmer drive. Would have ultra 'bling' but id have to loose the clutch which is not an option at this stage...

any comments opnions much appreciated.
Cheers
Logan

Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 18rg crank pully for supercharger Thu, 28 October 2004 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Logan,

Mate ! I would start looking at the crank pulley off a 1G-GZE and see how hard that might be to adapt to your 18R-G unit. That means that you can still keep the S/C clutch, but you would have to get the distance/spacing correct and then hope that a 5 rib belt of the correct length is made and available to you. Dayco was my friend here when I replaced the belts on my GZE motor. Perhaps you can adapt an air con pulley or, thinking laterally, get a 3 rib crank pulley and use the centre 3 ribs of the S/C pulley - but that might be a bit Dodgy Brothers engineering.....

Good luck with it mate.

Mitch.
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: 18rg crank pully for supercharger Thu, 28 October 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mitch,
The positioning of the sc14 is no worries, thanks to Rick from classic-celica.com. I can adapt his design from intake side to exhaust side, but still have 6 degrees of freedom i think it is(foward/back, up/down, roation +/-)

Another option that came to mind was using a toothed belt and cam pulleys.

Do the 1G-GE and 1G-GZE have the same crank pully?

Not to keen on the dodgy bro eng approach, everything so far is to a high standard for the budget (ie close to zero) with plenty of thought been put into engine mounting and suspensions etc..

Thanks
Logan
P.S. wheres the update on your beast???
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 18rg crank pully for supercharger Thu, 28 October 2004 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Logan,
You have most of it sussed by the sounds of it already mate, especially given the latitude you have with the mounting position of the S/C.

I would be concerned with the torque and any back-lash with a toothed belt and pulleys, but having said that, its not impossible to do.

Definately no on that one mate, the GE and GZE crank pulley's are different, but most likely interchangeable. I think trying to source a GZE crank pulley is your best option. Perhaps someone has wrecked a 1G-GZE for the S/C only and the rest of the bits are up for sale somewhere over there.

BTW - has it stopped raining in ChCh yet ??!! Laughing

And the update on the black thing will happen when I finally get the beast licenced and on the road, soon, hopefully soon. But I will be updating the other list first before I do a post here.

Cheers,
Mitch.
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: 18rg crank pully for supercharger Thu, 28 October 2004 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HAH!!! I wish it was still raining! truth is the weather is mint and im stuck inside !

The only problem i can think of with the gze pulley is its bound to be a multi belt pully right?
Im only going to have (only have room to have) one belt for everything. Ive got a water pump pully, an alternator, and an idler, just need to sort out the crank pully and make the brackets for the s/c and some outlets for the s/c and mount the idler somehow....so basically just got everything left to do : Confused

Logan
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 18rg crank pully for supercharger Thu, 28 October 2004 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just joking mate - two trips to Ch-Ch and soaked on both occasions, it stays on your mind !

Yep - multi-belt pully for sure - every man and his dog's accessory runs off there, PS and AC on one side, SC and alternator on the other, four belts and four sections on the pulley. I have dropped the PS from my car and removed all that gear. In my RA23 this pully was not a clearance problem, it was the SC clutch that stuck out the front the furtherest.

I take it you want to keep the rad in the stock location. With the help of CLG I developed a very good solution for the radiator relocation in an RA23/28 with a GZE motor.

One belt for all that means you will have to change the SC pulley to match the other accessories, and the crank of course. So, sounds like you will have to do away with the electric clutch, change the pulley on the SC to suit, and run the SC 24/7 mate.

SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: 18rg crank pully for supercharger Thu, 28 October 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Thu, 28 October 2004 17:03

One belt for all that means you will have to change the SC pulley to match the other accessories, and the crank of course.

What i meant is im going the other way about things, im changing everything else to match the supercharger belt.
ie, i already have a waterpump pully to suit the s/c belt, and i also have an alternator(with pully) to suit the s/c belt,

just need to change the crank to suit the s/c belt and im sorted. i hope.

Smile

Cheers
Logan

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 18rg crank pully for supercharger Thu, 28 October 2004 05:11 Go to previous message
Ok - I'm on the same plane as you now.

This will hurt your budget mate, but I think the only solution here, if you can't find a suitable compatible Toyota one is to go for a (fooly sik mate) custom billet crank pulley machined up using the original one as a guide and giving you the 5 rib belt pulley you desire......

Sometimes you have to pay before you an play..... Crying or Very Sad
Cheers,
Mitch.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:stupid cross breed 4ag bottom end/4ac head
Next Topic:ra65 brakes into a ae86
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 19:47:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055379867553711 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar