Toymods » Tech & Conversions » MA61 adjustable strut tops

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
icon2.gif  MA61 adjustable strut tops Wed, 27 October 2004 13:50 Go to next message
Just had a nice long chat with Greg over at Noltec - a bit of a suspension guru. He reckons he can make up adjustable strut tops for my MA61, capable of everything a boy-racer could need. Camber, caster, toe-in, blahblahblah. Direct bolt in over the top of the stock suspenion setup - no coilovers needed.

At the moment, it's looking at being $400 for the pair, however if any of you guys are interested I'm sure we could work something out for a group buy.

I'll keep you posted with prices, piks, all that stuff.

-J-

[Updated on: Tue, 02 November 2004 10:07]

Send a private message to this user    
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Wed, 27 October 2004 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oooooooohhhh Shocked

I need an unlimited source of funds...
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Wed, 27 October 2004 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would they also be useable for any xa6x chassis? That way more people might be able to benefit and as such the price will go down
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Wed, 27 October 2004 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh wrote on Wed, 27 October 2004 23:50

Just had a nice long chat with Greg over at Noltec - a bit of a suspension guru. He reckons he can make up adjustable strut tops for my MA61, capable of everything a boy-racer could need. Camber, caster, toe-in, blahblahblah. Direct bolt in over the top of the stock suspenion setup - no coilovers needed.

At the moment, it's looking at being $400 for the pair, however if any of you guys are interested I'm sure we could work something out for a group buy.

I'll keep you posted with prices, piks, all that stuff.

-J-

isn't that like the normal noltec tops? or are these different? or were they just not available for the MA61's before?
price sound sstandard too...
toymods members get discounts at Noltec ay?
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Wed, 27 October 2004 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm, might be interested, but not at $400.

If you want more camber (90% of the reason for getting them), look at fitting RA60 lower strut tubes.

A bit of labour and less than $50, and I got about -2 degrees camber (rough measurement)

pics & details here

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=49365&start=0&rid=3701&S=bf92c570f88 83be2f6d0ba43db781cf7

I know that castor is not meant to be adjustable wuith teh std setup, but you can actually get some adjustment (I did on my RA23) and I beleive the design is the same ?

Still would like to see more detail though

Cheers

Michael B
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Wed, 27 October 2004 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe they are the Noltec adjustable tops that they sell for a range of cars - just never for an MA61 before. He said he was going to try and make one up to fit for us.

And yes, fitting RA60 strut tops is rather appealing, but I like to be able to make changes if I want to, and not just to camber alone!

-J-
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Wed, 27 October 2004 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh wrote on Wed, 27 October 2004 23:50

I know K-Mac make adjustable strut tops/camber plates as I was thinking about putting them on my car (before i decided to keep it standard height Rolling Eyes ). They may be cheaper. I can't remember the pricing on them...

Cheers.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Wed, 27 October 2004 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like my standard ride height too. That's why these look good to me - from what Greg was telling me, I can just chuck 'em in over the top of standard springs. Unless I got it totally wrong... ?

-J-
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Wed, 27 October 2004 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strut tops will only adjust camber and caster. Toe is controlled by the tie rod ends.

The fitment of the RA60 lower strut tubes does not affect ride height at all as everything is in the same place, but as mentioned, onece fitted, camber is fixed.

From what little I know, caster tends to affect the self-centreing of the steering as a main consequence, but not 100% sure of other effects (may try and suss out more info).

If fitting one of the K-Mac/Noltec strut tops, ride height may be increased slightly depending on the design

Cheers

Michael B
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Thu, 28 October 2004 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More caster means more camber as you turn the wheel. This means better cornering, but the downside is the steering loads up a lot more and can become quite heavy. This isn't such a big deal with P/S of course.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Thu, 28 October 2004 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremy,

Doesn't the caster alter the location of the contact patch in relation to the centreline of the strut (along with the king pin inclination), and add offset into the equation, the scrub radius also varies ?

Oh well, once you get your conversion done, you can report the before and after affects in relation to camber !!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Thu, 28 October 2004 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Caster simply refers to the angle of the strut relative to vertical... I can't see this having any effect on contact patch or offset?

Yes I will certainly tell you all about the results when I finally get this done... I plan to head out to Qld Raceway as soon as possible and see exactly what this thing can do around a circuit! Very Happy
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Thu, 28 October 2004 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 28 October 2004 12:04

Caster simply refers to the angle of the strut relative to vertical... I can't see this having any effect on contact patch or offset?

It has an effect on the position of the contact patch relative to the centreline of the strut (fore and aft), as often the strut is inclined reaward, so in a very small way, it is like a castor wheel (hence the self centering effect when you let go of the wheel) with the contact patch behind the strut centreline.

The offset can affect the location of the contact patch relative to the strut in a left/right direction, which has a greater affect on scrub radius and steering/cornering capability.

I'll try and dig up some references

negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Thu, 28 October 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd certainly be interested in buying some adjustable strut tops, just as long as i find a nice mk2 to buy soon, hehe
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Thu, 28 October 2004 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Just quickly - go Noltec and not K-Mac (as I did). And be aware that these tops will raise your front suspension by about 20mm.

Justin
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Thu, 28 October 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers for the advice. I was pretty impressed with what Greg had to say about suspension, so I was planning on going with Noltec anyway.

I dropped off an MA61 strut top today, so I should know tomorrow afternoon what the final result is.

-J-
elhsupra
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Thu, 28 October 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your talking the same thing as a camber plate, Cusco makes them too. Group Buy over at celicasupra.com, page 5 has the info on getting in but last day is the 29th in the states if your interested.
http://www.celicasupra.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t= 10296
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Thu, 28 October 2004 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elhsupra wrote on Thu, 28 October 2004 22:17

If your talking the same thing as a camber plate, Cusco makes them too. Group Buy over at celicasupra.com, page 5 has the info on getting in but last day is the 29th in the states if your interested.

This Group Buy was over AAAAGGGGEEESSS ago - August the 8th !!!

Still, at about USD $200 and about USD $40 or so for shipping, they are still not cheap !!!
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Fri, 29 October 2004 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting discussion here between K-Mac and Noltec.

Josh, are you looking at the soild type or the polyurethane type Noltec ones.

http://pforums.company-hosting.com/forums/showthre ad.php?t=67180468
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Fri, 29 October 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm getting the poly ones (at least, they have a blob of blue poly-looking stuff in the middle of them). I wasn't aware there was a solid one available. Wouldn't it be mega-harsh in terms of comfort?

-J-
elhsupra
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Fri, 29 October 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Thu, 28 October 2004 18:22

elhsupra wrote on Thu, 28 October 2004 22:17

This Group Buy was over AAAAGGGGEEESSS ago - August the 8th !!!

Still, at about USD $200 and about USD $40 or so for shipping, they are still not cheap !!!

Your right definantly not cheap, but they did offer a second run ending today at an extra +40USD on page 5 if anyone was interested.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Tue, 02 November 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hooray!

http://members.iinet.net.au/~josh_and_sarah/strut%20top%20bottom.jpg

http://members.iinet.net.au/~josh_and_sarah/strut%20top%20top.jpg

Yes, I know the resolution sucks balls - still not bad considering it's my damn phone.

I've measured all the bits and pieces and it looks like it will fit. Here's hoping.

All up, $350 for the pair. Part number N44027 from Noltec if anyone is interested - though I'd recommend using me as a guinnea pig to see if they actually fit first.

-J-
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Tue, 02 November 2004 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As a consequence, I also have 3 MA61 strut tops for sale now, 2 good, one appears to be slightly worn. I'll re-post in for-sale section.

-J-
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Tue, 02 November 2004 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool! Let us know how it goes... looks like I might have to find another $350 Razz
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Mon, 08 November 2004 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, It's good to see Greg at Noltec didn't lead me astray. The strut tops fit like a gem. Taking it out for a squirt tomorrow morning, so I'll give you a verdict on ride quality then, but it's all looking great so far.

-J-
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Tue, 09 November 2004 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Tue, 09 November 2004 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did it affect ur ride height in any way?
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Tue, 09 November 2004 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The strut tops had no noticeable effect on the ride height at all.

I've since been out for a drive, and thus far very happy. It's been raining and wet since I had the work done (all new bushes and strut tops), so I can't comment on handling because I haven't had a chance to try it in the dry.

The ride comfort however is vastly improved. Soaks up the bumps beautifully now, just like I was told it would. I'm very impressed with these new tech bushes. A far cry from the rigid polyurathane ones. I'll have to wait for it to dry up before I can properly test handling, but if what I'm told is true, it should be just as good as the polyurathane ones, if not better, but with much greater ride comfort.

-J-
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Tue, 09 November 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ohh, sounds like a 'must-buy' item. tell us how u go.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Tue, 09 November 2004 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And my full set of bushes - every single one for the car, cost me $250. That's not a very fair price to go on because I get a very good rate - but it shouldn't be much more than that for most people. If any of you are having trouble getting close to that price though let me know and I can pick up a set for you.

In my mind, it's almost impossible to beat the quality/price of these bushes. Only thing I'm unsure about is hard cornering handling - but I'll know that tomorrow, weather permitting.

Greg from Noltec was 100% right about everthing he told me so far, so I doubt he's going to be wrong on this one.

-J-

[Updated on: Tue, 09 November 2004 11:37]

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Tue, 09 November 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Better than the rigid poly ones ?

Judging by the pics above, aren't they poly ?

Or were you comparing them to ones with no poly in them at all ?

It must be late, but I'm a bit confused Confused
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Tue, 09 November 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
These aren't pure polyurathane ones.

It's some blend Noltec use. I don't know the exact specifics on what they use, but if you call up Noltec I'm sure they could explain it a LOT better than I ever could Smile
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Tue, 09 November 2004 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hokey kokey.

What camber and castor setup did you end up with on the front ?

It will be interesting to see how even my car is side to side, as at the moment, i have about 2 degrees neg as std Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Who is the guy at Noltec that you have been speaking to and do you have a contact no. ?

[Updated on: Tue, 09 November 2004 11:51]

joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Tue, 09 November 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My front setup is about 1 degree neg (not ideal, I know). It looks as if one of my arms is a little bent, because I can get up to 3 neg on the left, but at maximum setitng it's only 1 on the right. Getting that sorted out next week. Castor is set to +5.5.

The bloke at Noltec is Greg. From what I tell, he runs the place.

(02) 9980-9777
14 Duffy Ave
Thornleigh, NSW 2120
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Tue, 09 November 2004 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh wrote on Tue, 09 November 2004 23:01

My front setup is about 1 degree neg (not ideal, I know). It looks as if one of my arms is a little bent, because I can get up to 3 neg on the left, but at maximum setitng it's only 1 on the right. Getting that sorted out next week. Castor is set to +5.5.

The bloke at Noltec is Greg. From what I tell, he runs the place.

(02) 9980-9777
14 Duffy Ave
Thornleigh, NSW 2120

Hmm, something definitely fishy there re the camber. For most road applications, I normally wouldn't recommend more than 1.5 deg neg, as it does have an adverse affect on straight line stability, and stability under brakes.

5.5 deg castor, hmm. I wouldn't have thouight that it would be that high, must talk to Greg about that.

Cheers

Michael B
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MA61 adjustable strut tops Tue, 09 November 2004 12:39 Go to previous message
yeah, I know the front camber ain't right. I want about 1.75 - 2 neg on the front. As I said, going in to get it fixed up next week.

-J-
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Current Corolla suspension
Next Topic:Ta22 rust
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:58:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0080029964447021 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.