Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Downshift > *crunch/grate* :( Thu, 28 October 2004 12:19 Go to next message
So, after all the crap ive been through with my gearbox, what causes a crunch on down shifting. Its 4th > 3rd, im presuming synchro except if i double clutch on the way down it still grates... any ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Downshift > *crunch/grate* :( Fri, 29 October 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont know a heap on boxes but from what ive learnt most crunches are either a result of damaged/stuffed syncros or pssibly selector forks.

my t50 is the same... a hard click into 2nd no matter how much clutch, warm / cold it is / or even if i double clutch.....ill sort it out one day.

Hope this helps.

Nathan
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Downshift > *crunch/grate* :( Fri, 29 October 2004 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah im pretty sure its the synchro, it does it on upshift as well... Im going to try Redline superlight shockproof gear oil before i go and fork out 800 on it.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Downshift > *crunch/grate* :( Fri, 29 October 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if that stuff is expensive, jut use ATF, as that is probably what it is anyway
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: Downshift > *crunch/grate* :( Fri, 29 October 2004 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what do you mean by grates?

i used to have 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 4th crunches. but im definately sure either replacing my leaky cluthc slave cylinder or adjusting the freeplay rod on the clutch pedal had solved it as i havent had any crunch in a while.

but i still get bit of metallic grinding through gear changes somethimes especially when cold in morning, its little sticky aswell. took it for a fang tonight and was heaps good even though my clutch still slipping bad. slowing down through roundabout and bends i was doing 4th to 3rd at bout 100-90kmh and it felt really smooth

i be changing my gear oil to GL-5 soon, as i read somewhere its what recoomended for the e51 box. probably sticking to duragear again as its cheap and synthentic, cant afford syntrax and redline, we looking at over $100 alone for the oil
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Downshift > *crunch/grate* :( Fri, 29 October 2004 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i dont think what everyone calls a crunch, a crunch.. its like the gear going up agaist a piece of metal, like grating.... i suppose it could be called a crunch. you can feel it through the stick as well. Ill have to have a look at free play tommorow as well.

the redline is $119 for 4 litres.
levin_boi
Regular

March 2004
Re: Downshift > *crunch/grate* :( Fri, 29 October 2004 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry man i wouldnt have a clue about your crunchy nut cornflakes. i'm just wandering does any1 know what the best suited gbox oil is for a sprinta t50?

thanx

sab
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Downshift > *crunch/grate* :( Fri, 29 October 2004 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Fri, 29 October 2004 23:03

well i dont think what everyone calls a crunch, a crunch.. its like the gear going up agaist a piece of metal, like grating.... i suppose it could be called a crunch. you can feel it through the stick as well. Ill have to have a look at free play tommorow as well.

the redline is $119 for 4 litres.

Is yours a hydraulic clutch or a cable? Also if Redline is that much, go to Supercheap and 5L of Syntrax for the price equivalent of Redline's 4L. Shocked
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Downshift > *crunch/grate* :( Fri, 29 October 2004 22:18 Go to previous message
Hi,

My gearbox sometimes crunches going down from 4th to 3rd. Going up is fine and all other gears are fine. I thought it was the synchro (or, in the case of my box it's a band). It doesn't do it at slower speeds or if I down change slow. What interests me in this topic is the mention of clutch adjustment to fix the problem. Is this possible? A poorly adjusted clutch could fix the problem?

That'd be great 'cos a gearbox rebuild would cost me many hundreds - assuming the bits are available, which they're not. But a clutch jobbie would be cheaper and the parts are available. Oh, and I'll throw in some of that Syntrax or Red Oil stuff too.

seeyuzz
river
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3tgte tps switch wires
Next Topic:kp61 clutch cable to hydro need help!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 16:46:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046908855438232 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.