Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Who has a 4agte?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
white86
Regular

May 2004
Who has a 4agte? Sun, 31 October 2004 00:51 Go to next message
Hi, i'm in the middle of building a 4agte for my sprinter, and this is my first engine project on any car. It's been a very worthwhile learning experience and i'm sure im going to be doing similiar projects many times in the future.

However, I am just curious as to what the finished product will be like. How will the engine run compared to a factory turbo engine? What sort of engine note do they have? What power outputs have people achieved with varying set ups?

Haha sorry about all the questions, but i'm just getting anxious for my first taste of boost in the sprinter.

Cheers, Dan
  Send a private message to this user    
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sun, 31 October 2004 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sold my 4agte to a member of this forums but when i had it, it made 250rwhp on about 16psi with a hks gt2510..
Wicked engine note, not farty or drony like a gze..
well worth it
NVD05X
Regular

June 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sun, 31 October 2004 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i like it!

195.5hp on 15psi with series 1 silvia t28...

fun to drive!

quieter than a gze.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sun, 31 October 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not much of a 4a person, so i wanna know are these stock motors or 4ag with a turbo thrown on?

if its stock then what is the factory power output for them?

cheers
Gr33nM0nk3y
Regular

September 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 01 November 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e:
4agte is a 4agze with the s/charger taken off, and a turbo put on

average stock power for a gze (different figures for different years) at the wheels is 90kw???? (some1 please correct me if im wrong) thats in a mr2/ae92/101 car...

ta

-bc

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 01 November 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
typically the AFM version 4agze is about 15-20kW less than the later model MAP sensor versions from the AE101 and post 1991 Ae92.

Most people leave the internals of the GZE stock, as they are pretty damn strong from factory with *forged ceramic coated pistons. The factory management will also handle up to 15psi or so.

Most 4agte setups i have seen on the dyno yeild around 150-200kW atw, of course it all varies depending on how much boost, what turbo, cooler, ECU + tuning, etc etc

Its a worthwile conversion - the turbo will quieten that bloody noisy 4a.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 01 November 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 4agte sprinter with 3 inch steam pipe zorst from the turbo back with no cat and straight through muffler was HEAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPSSSSSS quiter than my 4agze mr2 with 2.5inch extractors, glass pack muffler and hotdog thingo... Now my mr2 is 4agte with a 3inch dump on the same exhaust and sounds 100times better.
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 01 November 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a Series 1 4AGZE with a rebuilt RB25 turbo (thrust bearing, steel internals), 2.5 inch exhaust from turbo back (with 2 resonators and a cannon style muffler), Wolf 3D version 2 ECU (old), and R33 Skyline factory intercooler - makes 145 rwhp @ 15psi (around 108 kW).

Looking at everyone else's here, it seems my car is underpowered - Bugger!

As for sound, is it quiet at idle, reasonably quiet at 60 kph, and gets drone-y at 80 kph and above. Drives really well, if a bit laggy.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 01 November 2004 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why not leave the supercharge for the lag?
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 01 November 2004 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, when I bought the car it already had the supercharger removed, which means I drove it around for a fair while with a low compression NA motor - about as responsive as a wet sponge (or a 4AC!).

But do you mean a twin charge set up? Too complicated (costly) for not much gain - one day I'll get a ball bearing turbo which should sort out the lag.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 01 November 2004 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
option... im running 9psi, stock computer, stock intercooler stock basically everything, leaky rb25 turbo 3 inch exhaust and i get 115rwkw. Ill be upgrading my turbo and cooler soon and expect 150+rwkws...
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 01 November 2004 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crap! So what's wrong with my set-up? Crying or Very Sad

Still, I don't wanna thread hijack, so I'll keave this for another time.

When I get some money together I'll have to look into this...

[Updated on: Mon, 01 November 2004 14:18]

white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 01 November 2004 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, considering people get such different results, what do you think a decent power output for this set up would be?

series 2 map sensored gze block and head
rb20 turbo (ceraminc turbine, steel compressor, non ball bearing)
100kw inlet manifold
400x300x76 "hybrid" fmic
gze injectors
steam pipe exhaust manifold with hpc coating in and out
stainless 3 inch dump pipe (with "screamer" pipe for the wastegate - don't know how much this helps)
3 inch exhaust, high flow cat, resonator, muffler
pod filter in a sort of cold air intake box im making
motec m4 ecu

Anyone know any quarter mile times as well?

Haha sorry im just getting really anxious!

Oh and feel free to thread highjack, I wouldn't mind this just turning into a general 4agte discussion.
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 01 November 2004 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
optionUP: maybe its worth looking into how ur plumbing is set up, and checking boost pressures before and after the i/c and at various other places (sort of a pain in the arse, but yer...). Some bad bends and restrictions could cut alot of power im guessing. This is what i've read in some decent turbocharging books regarding lower-than-expected outputs, but have yet to put into practice.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 01 November 2004 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had similiar to that on my sprinter... the rb20 turbo is letting you down! it was my bottle neck. On 15psi on a microtech with BAD boost spiking (faulty actuator) i think i got around 135kw, so probably around 140-50 @ 15psi
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 01 November 2004 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha yeah i've already come to terms with my turbo being the weak link. 140-150 rwkw? I'd be so happy with that. Thats gotta be somewhere in the vicinity of a 13.5 doesn't it? I should do a before and after on the dyno and the track Smile
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 01 November 2004 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
White86, thanks for the tip.
I first of all had a RB20 turbo on my car, again at 15 psi made similar power to what I got now. I remember it came on boost hard from about 4 - 4500 rpm.

Wow you got a Motec - that should be able to get all the available power for you, and make it drivable and not too fuel hungry, I imagine.
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 01 November 2004 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a 4agte
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 01 November 2004 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
optionUP wrote on Tue, 02 November 2004 01:07

But do you mean a twin charge set up? Too complicated (costly) for not much gain - one day I'll get a ball bearing turbo which should sort out the lag.

exactly, have the supercharge for low to mid RPMs and a massive turbo for top end... thats what im looking at fo my TA22. its not so much for more power but rather better power response, ie, max power in shortest time
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 01 November 2004 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my little T25 is keeping me happy for now, 142 rwhp @ 7psi. still running the 4agze ECU too.
i cant wait to get it on a dyno again one of these days if i dont break it, 12psi is making my butt dyno very happy. Very Happy
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 01 November 2004 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice that is quite a bit of power at such a low boost!!
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 02 November 2004 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
optionUP: i hope the motec will deliver, i've been convinced to spend a fair bit more money on it for those very reasons.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 02 November 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what sort of costs are these turbo setups costing?
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 02 November 2004 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the cost would vary alot dependding on the set-up you want and how much work you can do yourself. Maybe you could get away with a budget set-up for $3000?, running the stock cooler and ecu, but upgrading the exhaust system. Aftermarket ecu's really jack up the price, considering most people can't install and tune them personally.
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 02 November 2004 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you get a workshop to do it (like I did) then expect to pay at least double that. Probably more like $8000 - $9000.

But, it also depends on how far you go. For me, I got an oil cooler fitted (parts alone cost $600) and also upgraded my fuel lines and got a surge tank fitted.

[Updated on: Tue, 02 November 2004 01:28]

white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 02 November 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man, what IS wrong with your set up... i'm scared now.

I think i'll end up paying around $7500 - $8000. I'm getting a workshop to install and tune the ecu, fabricate the exhaust manifold, exhaust system and intercooler pipes. Everything else i'll do myself.

[Updated on: Tue, 02 November 2004 01:33]

YOGI8U
Regular

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 02 November 2004 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4A's are a great little motor, ive sent some to hell and back with the only down side being the ring lance colapsing and the odd bearing saying its had enough..
My first set-up stock GZE bottom end, big port head, GT28 and ems, was good for 250hp and 320 with the nos, at the wheels.

New setup with the 20v is good for 400hp at the wheels now,
(but is not the cheapest option in the world)..

I still loved the 16v, awsome street runner with next to no lag and power all the way though..
yogi
YOGI8U
Regular

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 02 November 2004 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4A's are a great little motor, ive sent some to hell and back with the only down side being the ring lance colapsing and the odd bearing saying its had enough..
My first set-up stock GZE bottom end, big port head, GT28 and ems, was good for 250hp and 320 with the nos, at the wheels.

New setup with the 20v is good for 400hp at the wheels now,
(but is not the cheapest option in the world)..

I still loved the 16v, awesome street runner with next to no lag and power all the way though..
yogi
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 02 November 2004 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
optionUP wrote on Tue, 02 November 2004 12:27

If you get a workshop to do it (like I did) then expect to pay at least double that. Probably more like $8000 - $9000.

But, it also depends on how far you go. For me, I got an oil cooler fitted (parts alone cost $600) and also upgraded my fuel lines and got a surge tank fitted.

you are being robbed of power somewhere
Necros
Regular

September 2002
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 02 November 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How many of you guys are running the first gen/afm 4AGZE turbo setup?
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 02 November 2004 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm,
yes - but what is the culprit?

Could be the intercooler - fairly small, with poor air flow. But then these are fitted to Skyline GTS-T's that produce about 250 HP stock (although a 2.5 Ltr 6 cylinder would push out a lot more air than a 1.6 4, which would overcome the restrictions of the intercooler to an extent...?)

Could be the turbo - too big, given it's built for more airflow as mentioned above?

Could be intercooler piping - pipe I guess is 2 or 2.5 inch diameter, is fairly direct from compressor to front mounted intercooler to inlet manifold, although it has a u-shaped bend, positioned at the bottom of the bumper, where it flows into the intercooler.

The ECU - old and has not very fine adjustment for the tuning.

All of the above?

Don't get me wrong - the car is still a hoot to drive, but in a straight line from take off it doesn't feel fast anymore, now I've gotten used to it. I will have to have a chat with the guys in the workshop...

[Updated on: Tue, 02 November 2004 04:50]

white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 02 November 2004 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mmmm i'd say all of the above are playing a part. Sort of what i was hinting at by checking boost pressures at various points.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 02 November 2004 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
optionUP wrote on Tue, 02 November 2004 15:48

Don't get me wrong - the car is still a hoot to drive, but in a straight line from take off it doesn't feel fast anymore, now I've gotten used to it. I will have to have a chat with the guys in the workshop...

lol.. dont worry about that, my car has somewhere just over 200rwkw. I dont find it very fast at all though.. but anyone going in it for the 1st time shits themselves
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 02 November 2004 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would cry if i turboed my gze and it made less than 150KW@w.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 02 November 2004 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not all dynos are created equal Smile

Mine has made quite substantially different figures on different dynos, different days.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 02 November 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the turbo isnt too big! if anything its way too small!
Skein
Regular

November 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 02 November 2004 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got this for my 4agze, how much kw will i get??

http://img26.exs.cx/img26/2456/TURBO.jpg
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 02 November 2004 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, you're gze would fit inside that thing. The engine would be the turbo's little bitch...
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 02 November 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Necros wrote on Tue, 02 November 2004 14:16

How many of you guys are running the first gen/afm 4AGZE turbo setup?

the 1st 4agte i did was useing my aw11 4agze (AFM), the aw11 a2a i/c, T25 turbo @ 12psi and the 4agze ECU, a log style manifold i made myself. i spent no more than $1000 to do the whole thing. (it helps when you can do as much of it yourself as you possibly can, and have bits to steal of the original 4age).
i ended up melted the end off #4 spark plug which took a couple chunks out of the piston and scored the bore (this was after 9 months of abuse). unfortunatley i never got that one on a dyno to see what it was doing.

my current set-up (which that dyno graph i linked above is from) is my original 7 rib bigport 4age i rebuilt useing it's 9.4:1 cast pistons and about 2.6mm in total headgasket/s, same T25 @ 7 and 12psi (the dyno graph i linked above is only had 7psi as i didnt have my dual stage boost controler back in at the time), a GT4 ST205 w2a i/c core, still the 4agze ECU and my log manifold. i have totaly abused this engine for over a year now.
so i spose i spent approx another $1500 to to get this set-up running. (that includes a new clutch).

w/shops charge way to much for a turbo conversion. but then again if people are willing to pay that much, why not.....
NVD05X
Regular

June 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 03 November 2004 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine was originally an afm gze...

now its got a 2.5 inch exhaust/ non ball bearing T28/ 7MGTE injectors/ microtech LTX8s and a vr4 fmic...

im happy with its performance... its a little laggy but not to bad... starts to boost at 2500rpm and hits 15 pounds by 4000rpm and pulls to 7000rpm...

the reason most people dont worry about the twin charge setup is because if you have an efficient turbo that can flow heaps at high rpms the supercharger actually becomes more of a hindrance than a help...

[Updated on: Wed, 03 November 2004 09:55]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 03 November 2004 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the costs for a turbo conversion on a 4agze usually go down like this:

# turbo $300-400
# turbo manifold $600
# Intercooler (usually FMIC) $400-500
# FMIC piping $500?
# 4age engine ancillaries (intake, a/c, ps, alternator etc) $200-300
# exhaust $300+

TOTAL: $2600.00
add about $500 for extra crap that always creeps up, and you have a total of $3-3.5k. This is getting workshops to do the non-bolt in stuff and you doing all the boltwork and purchasing 2nd hand.

white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 03 November 2004 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
witzl, that seems like a fair enough break-down. although i'd like to know where i can get an exhaust for 300 bucks. most places i've checked out ask around 1000 for dump pipe, high flow cat, resonator, muffler and 3" pipes.

but yer, somewhere around the 3 grand mark seems like the entry price, and you can sort of option up from there where money allows.
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 03 November 2004 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, rough prices for my conversion (getting a workshop to do it all):

Turbo manifold + downpipe: $1350
Intercooler piping: $850
Remove TVIS from inlet manifold, weld up holes: $220
Oil + water lines for turbo; weld new oil return into sump: $550
Bosch fuel pump: $190
Fuel Pressure Regulator: $245
Dyno Tuning: $330
Misc bits: $500

Other parts I got:
External Oil Cooler: $660
2nd hand turbo: $500
Intercooler from a friend: Free!

Total cost: $5395

And then, about a month later...
fit surge tank and new 5/16" copper fuel lines - $700

Doesn't compare too badly I guess.
Of course, there were a couple of extra things like getting bigger injectors, getting them cleaned, getting the intercooler cleaned and pressure tested etc. - small stuf tht eats up a bit more money.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 03 November 2004 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
May I ask why you spent a perfectly good $220 to remove the TVIS?
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 03 November 2004 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
optionUP wrote on Thu, 04 November 2004 02:52

Other parts I got:

Of course, there were a couple of extra things like getting bigger injectors, getting them cleaned, getting the intercooler cleaned and pressure tested etc. - small stuf tht eats up a bit more money.

Fark me, you paid some pretty high prices there.

Oil cooler for $660 ??????
Copper fuel pipe & surge tank $700 ??????????????????????
TVIS mod - $220 ??????????

I'm glad you paid that, not me. Mind you, as long as you are happy, that is the main thing.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 03 November 2004 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
optionUP wrote on Thu, 04 November 2004 02:52

Other parts I got:

what was ur interercooler piping made out of
Necros
Regular

September 2002
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 03 November 2004 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What gearboxes and bellhousings are you guys using?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 04 November 2004 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Thu, 04 November 2004 06:22

what was ur interercooler piping made out of

Gold. Its the best heat reflector dude Razz
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 04 November 2004 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a 4AGTE

Quote:

I am just curious as to what the finished product will be like

My finished product is great, nice to drive, sounds good, reasonably quick.

Quote:

How will the engine run compared to a factory turbo engine?

Mine runs as smoothly as any factory turbo engined vehicle I have been in. I find mine comes on full boost earlier than most factory vehicles too.

Quote:

What sort of engine note do they have?

I think that mine sounds quite good for a 4 cylinder, no drone, no farty bumble-bee shit noise. Last time I went to the track I had a lot of people comment on how good my car sounded down the straight as it screamed through each gear.

Quote:

What power outputs have people achieved with varying set ups?

Mine has been on several Dyno's (including the all mighty all accurate, only dyno some people believe in, Toymods Dyno Day Dyno Rolling Eyes ) Mine always makes around 170rwkw plus or minus about 3kw on any given day. It is a 4AGZE (AFM/crank angle sensed model), T28 turbo (the baby one with 0.48 A/R exhaust housing), front mount intercooler, 2.5" exhaust etc.

It is not set up for drags what so ever (uber stiff suspension/coilovers etc more leaning towards something that can corner) but for fun I like to give it a run every now and then at WSID where it has run 12.8 over the 1/4, it has run the same times on a G-Tech too. traction of the line is an issue, but you learn how to launch it Very Happy .

Back when mine was done the only other 4AGTE around was Yogis which we saw at Summernats many years ago. Since then the 4AGTE has taken off and is common as dirt Cool

Common now for a good reason, they are a brilliant package!
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 04 November 2004 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
About removing the TVIS - to quote Michael's 4AGTE buildup article on this site's Tech Articles section:
With regards to the TVIS, when turbo charging you must remove this from the inlet manifold as boost pressures may cause the butterflies to warp, loosen and end up in the cylinder. But you would remove this anyhow as leaving it on only lessens the chance of gaining any decent hp.

$660 for an oil cooler? Well, it was a brand new 19-row cooler ($240), plus the cost of those pretty red/blue aluminium hose fittings is a killer - $42 for EACH angled connector, and I had to buy 4 (remote oil filter set up). Of course, I found out later that you can get brass ones MUCH cheaper from a hydraulics fittings shop (Pirtek or the like)...

Intercooler piping is Stainless Steel. Did I pay too much?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 05 November 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1GGTE has TVIS, I sure as hell ain't disconnecting it! Very Happy
AE86Boy
Regular

July 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 05 November 2004 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have A 4agte... It makes 145rwkw@14psi... that was after I changed the FMIC to a larger one and put in the lsd rear end...
I was Wondering how there could be a 30kw difference to the results posted by Ke383tg?? Im running a T28 also aswell as a 3" exhaust... whats the deal??? And what management are you running and who does your tunning? any other mods to the engine to help you reach thoswe levels? I want More POWER!!!!
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 05 November 2004 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I was Wondering how there could be a 30kw difference to the results posted by Ke383tg?? Im running a T28 also aswell as a 3" exhaust... whats the deal??? And what management are you running and who does your tunning? any other mods to the engine to help you reach thoswe levels? I want More POWER!!!!

Of course the first thing people will say is different dynos different readings etc and so forth. But as I said, mine does the same numbers here in Canberra and in Sydney.

Now, my turbo is the "small" version of the T28 from a skyline GTR (it has been highflowed and has a larger comp wheel, but the exhaust wheel and housing are still the same size as standard). So as far as peak power goes mine runs out of efficiency at about the 170rwkw mark, winding more boost into it than that yields no more top end power. If I want more peak power I need to go for a bigger turbo Very Happy . The only advantage of this sized turbo is boost response.

Between 16psi and about 20psi I see little to no change in the peak power value on the dyno, however the increase through the mid range power and to the torque curve of running the slightly higher boost makes it worthwhile in the pursuit of on-raod performance. At 16psi I have made about 165 rwkw and at 19psi on same dyno at the same time it only lifted the peak value to about 170rwkw (but with a massive gain in the mid range power)

I have a few friends here in Canberra with 4AGTE's and mine is at the lower end of the power that we are all making, eg:

Mine = 170rwkw (on about 18psi last time I dynoed it)
My brothers = 205rwkw (on about 18psi)
A mates = 165rwkw (on 12psi Shocked )
**Another mate = 170rwkw (this particular car sounds like a similar setup to yours as far as turbo, exhaust, fmic go).
Another mate is nearing build completion and should be over 200rwkw also.

All of the above (bar one the one denoted with**) run Microtech's and all of the above bar one (**) are tuned by the same person. All bar one (**) have made these power outputs on the same dyno too.

Mine has been setup like this for a few years now too and the engine internals are untouched, drives like a factory car too.

I know I can unleash some more KW's from mine with a new larger turbo, larger exhaust and a larger (read thicker) front mount. But I love the way mine drives as it is, it has more power than you can get to the ground etc. So I think I will worry about the chase for more power a little later.

PM me if you want details of the tuner we use here in Canberra.

10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 05 November 2004 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Sun, 31 October 2004 20:30

not much of a 4a person, so i wanna know are these stock motors or 4ag with a turbo thrown on?

if its stock then what is the factory power output for them?

cheers

i have turboed a 86kw bigport 4age the engine was totally stock using a TD04L off a 98 wrx, Microtech LT8, gze or 7m injectors, 3in ehxaust, made 187rwhp on 11psi and it is in a clubman and is circuit raced quite regually, no problems with the engine at all!!

Dale
MYT-16V
Occasional Poster

December 2002
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 05 November 2004 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Since everyones talking bout figures
175rwkw@15psi
Garrett t28, front mount series 1 gze, goes like a rocket with endless hours of fun.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 05 November 2004 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MYT-16V: What are the specs of your T28??

Anyone here running something other than standard cams?? I'm keen for a port cleanup & perhaps 272 degree inlet & exhaust, with a little more lift than standard. Smile And a bigger turbo of course Cool as mine has the same characteristics as KE382TG, more boost only equals more midrange, no gain at the top.

Cheers

Phil
MYT-16V
Occasional Poster

December 2002
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sat, 06 November 2004 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The T28 a/r 60 front and 0.64 rear, don't know where it's from, looks like S15 but i'm not sure if it's a ball bearing or not.

Cams are stock, the only thing thats been done to the motor is rebuild with new bearings etc. and metal head gasket. But i'm keen on some cams aswell maybe a GT 2540 or the like.
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sun, 07 November 2004 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG, those boost pressures seem fairly high. I was never considering running over about 12-13 psi with the rb20 turbo.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Sun, 07 November 2004 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

ke382TG, those boost pressures seem fairly high. I was never considering running over about 12-13 psi with the rb20 turbo.

High for the turbo? Or high for the motor?

Your ceramic RB20 turbo might not like 20psi Crying or Very Sad , but the 4AG won't mind Very Happy Mine runs 19psi with an S14 T28 turbo, and loves it.
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sun, 07 November 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
High for the turbo, i meant. I'm impressed by the performance these sydney boys have achieved.
Pages (4): [1  2  3  4  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Toyota 'FENDER 53801-1E480' What's it off?
Next Topic:Please Help!!! ST-162 Alternator?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 12:22:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0097880363464355 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.