Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
oldskoolrolla
Regular

September 2002
ST182 Brake Upgrade Sun, 31 October 2004 13:43 Go to next message
Hey Guys

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/594000-594999/594792_2_full.jpg

I am looking at replacing my current stock brake setup on the car above with ST185 GT-4 Celica disc rotors and the appropriate pads to suit. Is this a difficult conversion? What is required to be replaced along with the rotors and pads themselves? Approximately what cost am I looking at for such a conversion?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Dan Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
3sfe
Regular

March 2004
Re: ST182 Brake Upgrade Sun, 31 October 2004 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm guessing your car has 258x22 rotors with a big single piston caliper, if your looking at getting the aus spec gt4 brakes you will need the calipers as well as the rotors, the only price that i know of is $250 for the rotors, pads is just a matter of ringing an auto store and Classique71 is or was sell the calipers.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: ST182 Brake Upgrade Mon, 01 November 2004 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First, do you want to tell us what the car is? Carina?
I'm guessing (coz of the model code) its a 5x100 stud pattern coz its a bit hard to see from the pic.

try this:
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=436032&rid=418&S=2dc1ee1da9b85161cff55 4c82e981aee
This is the spec of my Caldina at the moment.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: ST182 Brake Upgrade Mon, 01 November 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doh!
Just read you're signature.

Measure the diameter of your discs & compare at an importer.
I didn't have to change discs when I want from single to twin piston calipers.

Price?
That's dependant on where you get the stuff & how much of it you do yourself.
Ring around, you live in the right area to get this kind of gear cheaply.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: ST182 Brake Upgrade Mon, 01 November 2004 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry to hijack but isnt an st182 a JDM st184 celica witha 2nd gen 3sge in it ??? and a st183 is the JDM convertable ?

fwiw my st185rc twin piston brakes would not fit on the st184. mounting points were the same but the centre hat of the rotor fouled the caliper. they did fit straight up to the aw11 Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 01 November 2004 02:54]

wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: ST182 Brake Upgrade Mon, 01 November 2004 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, the EXIV Coronas share the same numbers as the Celicas.

xT182: 3S-GE FWD
xT183: 3S-GE FWD convertible
xT185: 3S-G(T)E 4wd

I didn't have to change my discs, but maybe that's different for older models (mines a 96)

Maybe you need to pull your discs off & take them to compare.
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: ST182 Brake Upgrade Mon, 01 November 2004 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm with toof here a ST182 ~from name is a celica not corona, its a 3SGE celica
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: ST182 Brake Upgrade Mon, 01 November 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
S - engine yeah no arguments.
T - shouldnt that designate the chasis family... corona im gussing RWD ? i would have thought the chasis would vary somewhat enough not to be the same.

and having two completly different cars with the same designation dosent seem particulary toyotaish.
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: ST182 Brake Upgrade Mon, 01 November 2004 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow is there really a formula for that, i didn't think so, the 162, 184, 204 look nothing alike as far as a chasis are concerned, and yeah the GT4 are AWD where does that fit in???

i just thought the coronas were like ST180 or something not 182
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: ST182 Brake Upgrade Mon, 01 November 2004 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the first piece "S" is always the engine family.. St184 Aw11 Ae86

i dont think its a chasis code more a chasis family iirc.

first number is major revision code second part is minor revision code/.

aw10 aw11 first majaor revison/0th 1st major revison/

etc.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST182 Brake Upgrade Mon, 01 November 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And yes i do have a set of Gt4 calipers up for sale ..

they should be off trhe car in 2-3 weeks as um upgrading to St205 4 pots ..

PM me if your interested - they are going at a reasonably cheap price.
oldskoolrolla
Regular

September 2002
Re: ST182 Brake Upgrade Mon, 01 November 2004 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the help goys Smile Any more help or advice, keep it coming in Very Happy

Just to lay any misnderstanding to rest, it is a ST182 and is a FWD, running the 3S-FE (hopefully to be changed to 3S-GE/GTE, further down the track). I think it runs largely the same chassis as the ST182 Celica, just the body itself is different.

This may be a really dumb question (and will reveal my total lack of Celica knowledge) what does JDM stand for?

Im looking at replacing the discs at a later date with a DBA Gold cross-drill setup, so I thought I might as well move up in the braking stakes with twin pot calipers and decent pads.

Thanks for the info thus far guys, keep it coming!

Dan Very Happy
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST182 Brake Upgrade Mon, 01 November 2004 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldskoolrolla wrote on Tue, 02 November 2004 00:12

Thanks for the help goys Smile

This may be a really dumb question (and will reveal my total lack of Celica knowledge) what does JDM stand for?

JDM means Japanese Domestic Market. I think they are different to what the export markets get (eg. US, Europe, Australia etc.)

They seem to get more options and more powerful engines in JDM cars.

Cheers
T.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: ST182 Brake Upgrade Mon, 01 November 2004 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 4 door Coronas/Caldinas have a number 10 higher than the Celica:

Celica Corona/Caldina
xT16x xT17x
xT18x xT19x
xT20x xT21x

then the new chassis & engines came out (1ZZFE, 2ZZGE, etc) so the codes changed completely.

For some reason, the Celicas, Corona EXIV, & Carinas share identical major revision numbers.

T: chassis (ie floorpan & running gear, the panels may be different though)

first x: didn't put "S" in as there are other engines available like
A: 7A-FE
C: 2C diesel
E: 5E-FE
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: ST182 Brake Upgrade Mon, 01 November 2004 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the new corona's are FWD!! not like those old beasts with the LSD's
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: ST182 Brake Upgrade Mon, 01 November 2004 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, the Corona we got in Oz in 86 was the last RWD, they've been FWD or 4WD ever since.
You may notice that about that time the Celicas also went from RWD to FWD & 4WD.
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: ST182 Brake Upgrade Mon, 01 November 2004 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dunno the model Number for the old skool corona's but i used to have an RA60 and that had interchangable parts with the same year corona's i am not sure if the Corona that came with the LSD could fit hte celica's though.. it owuld be interesting to find out if someone had done it or just used an MA61 LSD. Those 4wd coronas u talk about are all japspec tho ?
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: ST182 Brake Upgrade Tue, 02 November 2004 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4wd models only started once the platform changed to the fwd version.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST182 Brake Upgrade Tue, 02 November 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry guys my brains not working - the calipers are already sold - Misplaced a PM from a while back
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: ST182 Brake Upgrade Tue, 02 November 2004 07:51 Go to previous message
wait a sec someone just said that the T stand for the floor plan and running gear, i'm sorry but the GT4 ~ST185~ and the FWD ~ST184~ don't share the same floor plan, and i would assume the running gear would be different to. its just my thoughts on this matter i didn't even relise they had a formular for it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Anyone supercharged an ae92 or 93?
Next Topic:Can i buy a bellhousing that will bolt up to a 1G and my W55 ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 06:09:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059309005737305 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.