Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » W58 short shift kit???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
W58 short shift kit??? Sat, 19 October 2002 00:00 Go to next message
Are they around and how much would they cost?
The box's shifter position i just put it is a little tall and foward for my liking, ie; i really have to reach forward to put it in 3rd and 5th gear Confused
I dont mind it at the moment, but i'd like to find a quick shift kit for it pretty soon. If anyonhe knows a place to get one/buy one please tell!

Thanks
Ben
  Send a private message to this user    
5KinKP60
Regular

June 2002
Re: W58 short shift kit??? Sat, 19 October 2002 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I shall (in time) install a DIY-type linkage which will bring gear lever backwards as much as I like.
All what is neededis a uniball joint, weld a gear lever there, install combo to your ideal location. Cut off present gear lever at abbout 10cm height. Design connecting bar between the two to make it work.
I have seen few such achievements on domestic rally cars. They all have been selfmade.

Short shift pattern can be achieved by making necessary mods on that stick that protrudes from transmission. I'm not familiar with W58 tranny, but in most rwd Toyota trannies there is a ball machined at the bottom end of the stick. Cut this ball away and weld on a piece of rod. Weld ball back on at the end of this lenghtened gear lever bottom end. If you added total lenght of lever bottom end by 15mm's, that's the thickness of spacer you need to fabricate on the surrounding assembly enclosure.

Calculations are a good indication to see just how much gear throw will get shortened. It just takes a few simple drawings of lever ratios from/to a balljoint. (To have a starting point, you need to take measurements of present gear knob travel as you work the gears).

Labour intensive - yes. Extremely difficult to do - no.

-A.
5KinKP60
Regular

June 2002
Re: W58 short shift kit??? Sat, 19 October 2002 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Sat, 19 October 2002 11:40]

5KinKP60
Regular

June 2002
Re: W58 short shift kit??? Sat, 19 October 2002 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Sat, 19 October 2002 11:40]

lvn-ra65c
Regular

May 2002

Re: W58 short shift kit??? Sat, 19 October 2002 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suprasport.com has a short shift kit for the w58/r154 tranny.
http://www.suprasport.com/suprasport/catalog/produ ct_info.php/cPath/31/products_id/204
lvn-ra65c
Regular

May 2002

Re: W58 short shift kit??? Sat, 19 October 2002 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.suprasport.com/suprasport/catalog/produ ct_info.php/cPath/31/products_id/204
lvn-ra65c
Regular

May 2002

Re: W58 short shift kit??? Sat, 19 October 2002 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W58 short shift kit??? Sat, 19 October 2002 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dellows automotive in Sydney sell the w58 short shift kit. It's around the 225-250 bracket i think. Fairly pricy for just a gear lever mod! But it is bolt in and of decent quality.
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W58 short shift kit??? Sat, 19 October 2002 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dellows automotive in Sydney sell the w58 short shift kit. It's around the 225-250 bracket i think. Fairly pricy for just a gear lever mod! But it is bolt in and of decent quality.
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W58 short shift kit??? Sat, 19 October 2002 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: W58 short shift kit??? Sun, 20 October 2002 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You had to be a copy cat now didn't ya SUPRAGTE? Razz
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: W58 short shift kit??? Sun, 20 October 2002 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been meaning to make one for mine for some time now - one of those 'will get round to' tasks.

As for the dellows one, I'll make a point of dropping in and seeing it next time I'm up that way - but quality/cost ratio is not looking good for me actually buying it!
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: W58 short shift kit??? Sun, 20 October 2002 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been meaning to make one for mine for some time now - one of those 'will get round to' tasks.

As for the dellows one, I'll make a point of dropping in and seeing it next time I'm up that way - but quality/cost ratio is not looking good for me actually buying it!
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: W58 short shift kit??? Sun, 20 October 2002 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aargh, now I'M guily of repeating myself!
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: W58 short shift kit??? Sun, 20 October 2002 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aargh, now I'M guily of repeating myself!
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W58 short shift kit??? Sun, 20 October 2002 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not being a smart arse frankie seriously, something wrong with this thread, errors everytime i try and post a reply. Seems to be happening to others too.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: W58 short shift kit??? Sun, 20 October 2002 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah, its cool dude. I was just mucking around with you, but then it started screwing up when I tried to reply to you!
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W58 short shift kit??? Sun, 20 October 2002 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys.... i think
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W58 short shift kit??? Sun, 20 October 2002 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys.... i think
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W58 short shift kit??? Sun, 20 October 2002 12:00 Go to previous message
thanks guys.... i think
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Blinkers - 73 TA22
Next Topic:ct 20 base gasket???
Goto Forum: