Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
nudes
Regular

October 2004
Project KE70 Mon, 01 November 2004 10:32 Go to next message
EDIT: Have bought the immaculate white KE70 and it is siiting out the front of my house.. awaiting the conversion Very Happy

i'm renaming this thread 'Project KE70'.. i'll post up shit as it happens.. will probably get gearbox stuff out of the way first as i can get all of that crap out of an AE71 that i am wrecking (once i find it)

Cheers

check in for updates

EDIT: the 20v and t50 are in the trailer out the front of my house see doooooooooown fo details Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 26 November 2004 11:50]

Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Mon, 01 November 2004 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have a choice, use an AE71. Otherwise, it's quite easy to swap all the parts from the AE71 onto a KE70 if you really want to (i.e. if you don't like the shovel nose very much!)
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Mon, 01 November 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apart from the engine mounts, you will probably want the AE71's hydraulic clutch setup too, as opposed to the KE's cable.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Mon, 01 November 2004 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no mounts need to be farbicated as such as you can just get a ae71/ae86 crossmember

if you start off with a ke70, you still need to find the hydraulic clutch conversion parts, t50, ae71/ae86 crossmember. and then the usual stuff you need for a 4age conversion, such as fuel system.

with a ae71, all you need to do is get a efi system in there and mod some water outlets and some other stuff on the 20v and then you can rip out the 4ac and bolt it right in.

[Updated on: Mon, 01 November 2004 10:48]

nudes
Regular

October 2004
Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Tue, 02 November 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmmm the thing is.. i dont want to let this KE get away as it is immaculate.. and i hate the flat mongrel headlights on the ae71..

i think i will just run with the KE70 and find a hydraulic clutch setup.. its only the master cylinder and lines isn't it?

anyway.. its not like a conversion is meant to be easy.

Thanks for the advice.. i'll post up again on friday whether or not the car is mine Very Happy
chrizer
Regular

October 2003
Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Tue, 02 November 2004 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE71 parts needed for conversion:
Gearbox, Crossmembers, Clutch cylinder & slave, Complete pedal box.
All these parts are a direct bolt in.
SLO993
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Wed, 03 November 2004 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it any more difficult with the KE70 to fit a T series diff? Also you wouldn't be able to fit AE86 struts, ect would you?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Wed, 03 November 2004 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they both bolt in
Cazzaboy
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Wed, 03 November 2004 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just one other thing.. Wont he need to get a crank angle sensor / coil pack setup. Due to the dizzy hitting against the firewall, like on the ae86's ?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Wed, 03 November 2004 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
same as a 20v into ae86 conversion
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Wed, 03 November 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually there is LESS space between the back of the head and the firewall on an AE71/KE70 than there is on an AE86... this is about the ONLY engine bay difference i've yet been able to identify.

That said though, pretty much whatever is needed to be done on an AE86, can just an easyily be done to a KE70/AE70 probably for less money and with better results.

If i were in your shoes, i would just go for a smallport 16v 4age or better yet ---> 4A-GZE Evil or Very Mad

20V's are a waste of time compared to 16V IMHO. I have no love for 20V's, esp in RWD where there is no much more modification required to fit the engine and get it running, and for what gain over a 16V smallport 4age?

Anyway.... if the engine is cheap enough (<$500 would do it for me) then go for it!
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Wed, 03 November 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20V FOREVER Very Happy
SLO993
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Wed, 03 November 2004 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
By the way Whitzl is pmp boy still for sale?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Thu, 04 November 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well without a car to replace it yet.. no

i think the owners of pimpboy still have plans for it yet, so it has been withdrawn from any potential sale for now.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Thu, 04 November 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im about to transfer a 4ac from a AE71 into a AE86! so lets c if this "floorplan" thing is correct or else ill using a drill bit or welding device Confused

ie: AE71 front seats into a AE86 (for rwc Sad )
http://www.geocities.com/rthy86/Pics/ae71bolt.jpg
rwc or not rwc?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Thu, 04 November 2004 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no

just get some sprinter seats, people give them away practically
koolshot
Newcomer

August 2004
Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Fri, 05 November 2004 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't need to have hydraulic clutch with the T50 gearbox.

I'm driving my 3 day old KE70 with a 20v ST. Could not fit the hydraulic pump in as there's no space. The cable will do. I'm using new stock clutch and it does not feel any different from the before the conversion (i.e. not heavier).

Secondly, you can opt NOT to shift the distributor. I chose not to do it as I do not have money to get a aftermarket ECU to control the ignition. I could get the firewall banged/cut, but you can fabricate engine mounts like these:

http://www.ct-x.com/koo/project_kay_yee/images/03_enginemount04.jpg

than strengthen it and paint it for that pimp look
http://www.ct-x.com/koo/project_kay_yee/images/04_engine_mount.jpg
Do the same for the other mount.

Everthing cleared:
http://www.ct-x.com/koo/project_kay_yee/images/05_clearance01.jpg

Remember to seal up the water outlets at the rear:
http://www.ct-x.com/koo/project_kay_yee/images/04_waterpath01.jpg
And work on the front water outlet:
http://www.ct-x.com/koo/project_kay_yee/images/04_waterpath02.jpg

If you put in the rear diff from an AE86 and the AE86 prop shaft, you will face the same problem as me. With the engine and gearbox mounted forward, the prop shaft is too short.
http://www.ct-x.com/koo/project_kay_yee/images/05_prop_bad01.jpg

So get a TA60 prop shaft. The length fits to a T.

Try to get the wiring harness of the BT and ECU. Makes life easier.

You should be able to handle the rest.
More pics here.
http://www.ct-x.com/koo/project_kay_yee/images/

I painted my ST black for that ninja look. Now the car starts when I shout "ninja"! Okay, not really. Laughing

[Updated on: Fri, 05 November 2004 11:01]

ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Fri, 05 November 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that cant be good for the handling
nudes
Regular

October 2004
Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Sun, 07 November 2004 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alright... checklist item no# 1 purchased.

there is an immaculate white KE70 sitting in my driveway begging for a 20V (or similar conversion) Very Happy

i was speaking to a guy on saturday night who reckons he has a crashed KE70 (he assured me after a grilled him that it wasnt an AE) with a 5 speed box in it.. he said he put the box in about 2 or 3 months befre he had a minor prang.. when i asked if it came standard with the 4 speed manual he said no it was 5 speed when he bought it so he put in the very same gearbox.. he also said it had a hydraulic clutch..

is this a T50 gearbox and appropriate clutch.. the guy seemed to know what he was talking about but couldnt talk model, engine or transmission codes (ie me = "is it a t50?" him = "no its not turbo")

cheers

THE PROJECT BEGINS

P.S whats goin on SLO993.. sorry to snake your idea mate.. hurry up and get rid of the datsun
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Mon, 08 November 2004 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its a ke70 then it should have a K40 or K50.
strange that it has hydraulic clutch though.
nudes
Regular

October 2004
Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Mon, 08 November 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so K40 is the 4 speed and K50 is the speed Very Happy ? Logical answer = Yes

i take it that the K50 will not go behind a 4AGE.. and if it does it will not be suitable anyway..

if it has a hydraulic clutch should i grab this?

how am i able to differentiate between K50 and T50?

i think i should just find someone wrecking an AE71 and possibly buy ze whole thing, pull out all the bits that i need and then sell/take to the tip what is left Very Happy

any help/advice?

Tobes
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Mon, 08 November 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buy a wrecked ae71
or find one being wrecked and get all the parts
Gr33nM0nk3y
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE70 and AE71 engine mount differences Mon, 08 November 2004 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i did my conversion to my ke70 (4agte) i wrecked a ae71 that i found for 250$, got xmember, mounts, box, shafts etc etc and then just bolted them into my ke70 Smile

btw, the latter model 1.6ltr lights/panels look better than the fugly early ke70's sunken lights so nerr! Smile
nudes
Regular

October 2004
Renaming this thread.. Project KE70 Mon, 08 November 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The hunt is on.. i'll be scouring the classifieds and trading post etc for a heap of shit AE71 to wreck Very Happy

Thanks for all your help guys.. i'll post up here as soon as i run into any trouble..

P.s Just an update on the car.. got bored and took to my stock steelies with a black spray can Laughing

sorry its been a boring afternoon

cheers

[Updated on: Mon, 08 November 2004 11:43]

nudes
Regular

October 2004
Re: Project KE70 Thu, 25 November 2004 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok....... the 20v and t50 are out the front in the trailer Very Happy

i'll be getting the car regoed, then pulling it straight off the road and starting the conversion.

just a querie, would i be able to change the 20v sump (and obviously pickup) with something similar and retain the standard KE70 cross members? or are there clearance issues other than those of teh sump?

inspected the loom today and realised it is in effect...... fucked
anybody looking to get rid of a complete (cut or uncut but must be complete) AE101 levin 20V loom with all engine diagnostic, injector, water/coolant control AND computer plugs with or without computer?

Also had a good idea on modifying the water outlets....
the thermostat (and heater hose) housing hanging off the back of the block has to go so i think i will fabricate just a flat plate with 90 degree bends to replace it (and slim it down to clear the firewall) then a section of hose running round the side of the block to a section of copper (or similar) pipe which leads to where i will remote mount the thermostat housing on an alloy plate bolted to the cross member or something Very Happy then from there straight to teh radiator. it'll be good.... i hope

who has done it differently?
i dont want to overly change the cooling system as it is almost vital with teh 20v that the head is cooled before the block so i'm not really interested in 4AGE cooling systems or flat plates which block off inlets/outlets.

also.. on the exhaust side of the block there is the water inlet on the dizzy side of the exhaust manifold (Rear of the block).. then there is a sensor of some sort forward of the manifold but i'm confused as to whether this is a knock sensor or some sort of temp sensor for the water system. if its the latter i will most likely wswap these two around to clear the radiator hose into the block of the gazorst manifold..

any input would be lovely

Cheers Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 13 December 2004 11:18]

nudes
Regular

October 2004
Re: Project KE70 Fri, 26 November 2004 11:54 Go to previous message
Anyobody?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:95 3VZ-FE Camry - help on practical go-fast mods PLEASE?
Next Topic:AE86 Suspension Bushes
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 08:25:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076789855957031 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.