Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Rotorise Me
Regular

June 2003
AE82 4AGE/4AGZE INFORMATION Sat, 02 October 2004 08:37 Go to next message
Hey guys,

Seriously looking into purchasing a ae82 4age/4agze.

Wondering if people could tell me their experiences with them.

- Pros/Cons of the cars in general?
- Differences between the hatch and secas?
- Possible Mods, or mods you have performed?
- Power outputs?
- Handling?
- Possible potential for the cars?
- Things to look for when purchasing etc.
- Any possible links etc.

This would be very useful as a future reference for people looking into these cars.

Any help would be awsome

Thanks All
  Send a private message to this user    
Fujiwara_ToFu
Regular

March 2004

Re: AE82 4AGE/4AGZE INFORMATION Sat, 30 October 2004 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just found this old post from the search and i'm also seriously considering an AE82.

I don't know which models came with the 4A-GE as standard.
The CS? CS-X?

Anyone? Anyone at all?

-Jay
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: AE82 4AGE/4AGZE INFORMATION Sat, 30 October 2004 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey anybody got a 4age manual?? TOFU??
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: AE82 4AGE/4AGZE INFORMATION Sun, 31 October 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rotorise Me wrote on Sat, 02 October 2004 18:37

Hey guys,

Seriously looking into purchasing a ae82 4age/4agze.

Wondering if people could tell me their experiences with them.

- Pros/Cons of the cars in general?

The fuel guage can be a bit dickie in some of them
Upgrade the brakes. They're ok but......
Inside the doors the window winder part that clamps on to the glass rusts easy.
Quote:

- Differences between the hatch and secas?

For some reason the front door glass is different
Quote:

- Possible Mods, or mods you have performed?
- Power outputs?
- Handling?

So far i've added a adjustable rear sway bar
Near future
Heavier springs front and back at the standard height (i do a shit load of country back road driving)
Adjustable camber/castor plates or bolts or whatever there're called Smile
Quote:

- Possible potential for the cars?
- Things to look for when purchasing etc.

AFAIK the different models (CS, CS-X, etc) are around the same price.
Rust.
Quote:

- Any possible links etc.

Its not AE82 but still
http://drive.to/ae92gts

FWD Corolla forum
http://pub135.ezboard.com/bfwd4agecorollas
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: AE82 4AGE/4AGZE INFORMATION Sun, 31 October 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fujiwara_ToFu wrote on Sun, 31 October 2004 00:34

I just found this old post from the search and i'm also seriously considering an AE82.

I don't know which models came with the 4A-GE as standard.
The CS? CS-X?

Anyone? Anyone at all?

-Jay

Basically the 4a-ge came out in the AE82 Twin Cam. Ya can't miss it, they came in only red or white (no other colours). The hatchback had a big TWINCAM sticker up both sides of the doors while the Seca had little twincam stickers on the trialing edge of the back doors. They also had a different grill design of three horizontal bars. Mind you, i have also seen this grill on the lower spec models as well. The trim level was the same as the CS-X. That is cloth trim, power steer, etc etc.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: AE82 4AGE/4AGZE INFORMATION Sun, 31 October 2004 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Sun, 31 October 2004 03:47

Have a look here
www.toymods.org.au
and then click on "tech docs". Its on the left side. Some kind chap scanned it but not all of it just the good bits that should keep you happy Very Happy
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: AE82 4AGE/4AGZE INFORMATION Sun, 31 October 2004 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
towe_001 wrote on Sun, 31 October 2004 23:59

b1gb3n wrote on Sun, 31 October 2004 03:47

Have a look here
www.toymods.org.au
and then click on "tech docs". Its on the left side. Some kind chap scanned it but not all of it just the good bits that should keep you happy Very Happy

so its on the left side!!! Ive seen it b4 but couldnt find it. realised i was looking on the RIGHT (wrong) side!!

thanks!!!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: AE82 4AGE/4AGZE INFORMATION Mon, 01 November 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is also the SE model - 4ac with better cloth interior and the twincam style grille.

Adding a GZE isnt too big an issue. Some people have issues with the rear gearbox mount, there are a couple of schools of thought on what to do with it - weld a tab on to the side or space out the crossmember.

Otherwise, the AE82 is a funky little girls car. If you start with a twincam model you will be pretty happy, they come stock with:
# 4 wheel disc
# 4age bigport (86kW)
# EFI fuel system
# better stock swaybars
# nicer interior with tacho dash
# wonderful choice of red or white

Its a better starting point for doing a conversion as you have the fuel system and rear disc and nicer interior. Finding one with a blown motor wouldnt be too hard either.
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: AE82 4AGE/4AGZE INFORMATION Mon, 01 November 2004 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rust is the big one. Three of my friends have owned them and all three of them have had rust in the rear wheel arches, and some have had it in the hatch hinges, around the fuel cap, and probably lots more places. When I was looking at buying one, two I looked at had rust, the ones without rust went for $5,000.

I ended up getting a rust free ST162 for $2950. Less fun to drive than a twin cam AE82, but a little gutsier (2 litre vs 1.6) and much nicer interior.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: AE82 4AGE/4AGZE INFORMATION Tue, 02 November 2004 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 01 November 2004 12:52

there is also the SE model - 4ac with better cloth interior and the twincam style grille.

Hum, might explain why i see a shit load of green, blue, yellow, orange etc with the twinky grill. But one that i had a look at was the C model, that is just a blank spot where the big-arse clock sits next to the speedo. And i'd say it was factory unless the old man (60's +) wanted to fool people.
Quote:

Otherwise, the AE82 is a funky little girls car.

Girls car?! give you girls car Twisted Evil
Quote:

If you start with a twincam model you will be pretty happy, they come stock with:
# 4 wheel disc

I've seen one that had drums on the back Laughing
Quote:

# 4age bigport (86kW)
# EFI fuel system
# better stock swaybars

The twinky was the only one that had a front swaybar
Quote:

# nicer interior with tacho dash
# wonderful choice of red or white

Oh, i'm so confused what colour to pick
a red
or
a white
Confused
Adam_Rolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

February 2004
Re: AE82 4AGE/4AGZE INFORMATION Tue, 02 November 2004 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they also come up good too with some elbow grease
click on the links below in my signature to view wot can be done with twinky's
| | |
\/\/\/
Adam_Rolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

February 2004
Re: AE82 4AGE/4AGZE INFORMATION Tue, 02 November 2004 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont kno bout the 4AGZE
but the 4age has great feul economy.. i drove from sydney(parramatta) to the blue mountains.. and it olny took 6 litres to get there
rollaboi
Regular

September 2004
Re: AE82 4AGE/4AGZE INFORMATION Sun, 13 March 2005 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got an ae82 seca with a 4agze in it and it goes like a dream.its just a stock motor but it has nice driveability n it has a nice torquey punch when needed... only prob i have is my tacho dont work. does any one know how to fix this????
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: AE82 4AGE/4AGZE INFORMATION Sun, 13 March 2005 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the signal from the GZE ignitor and ECU is different to a normal 4age or other ignition system, such that it causes other tachometers to not be able to measure that signal.

Sixworks offers a tacho booster, otherwise there is a way to modify your original tacho to work with the gze - if you are in sydney send me a PM.
redtwinny
Newcomer

March 2005
Re: AE82 4AGE/4AGZE INFORMATION Fri, 18 March 2005 03:45 Go to previous message
I've had an 86' AE82 Twin Cam for seven yrs now, with 86kW 4AGE (blue writing on cam cover, red writing is 100kW version)
It's been great. Bought it at 150 000km, and it has been extremely reliable since. Had the already re-co'd starter replaced and the dizzy fixed as it was leaking oil, also had new alternator put on.
It's now starting to leak oil, but at 203 000km, it's no surprise.
Finding a straight, basically stock AE82 hatch is hard - there are heaps of the Seca's, but they are butt-ugly (sorry to any seca owners), so that's why alot around!

Mine's stock externally, with 2" mandrel exhaust and UniFilter ram pod. This is the cheapest most noticeable mod to do. The airfilter makes the biggest difference in response and fuel economy. When the tacho hit 3500 up, the induction whoosh is great and it really gets going.

They rust over both rear wheel arches and fuel filler area. Fuel economy usually excellent (depending how you drive), fuel gauge has been faultless.

I'm debating selling it actually, but great if you can get one. Only the twin cam had 4AGE ex-factory, and they only came in red or white, just like the AE89 through to AE92.
I'd like a late model SX hatch, or optioned GTi (these came in gun metal grey as well)

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:FASTEST 7M-GTE IN OZ
Next Topic:JZA80 limited/special release models????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 01:30:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047330856323242 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.