Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Xizor
Occasional Poster

November 2004

96 Celica SX Tue, 02 November 2004 01:16 Go to next message
Hi guys,

I've been around a few forums and alot of people seem to be pretty harsh when talking about Celica's. Especially the model im looking at, the 96. Call me a weirdo, but i just like the look of them. Especially if they have a kit, rims etc. I guess they suckered me in during the old rally days.

Problem is, i only recently discovered they have the camry engine. My friend said its a 100kw piece of shit with almost no torque.

What can be done? He suggested maybe an engine conversion to a 3SGE? How easy would this be? note i wouldnt do it, i dont know jack shit. I'd have to pay someone. Anyone know how costly this engine is and roughly what i'd expect to pay to have the engine conversion done?

Or any other thoughts/suggestions, by all means, im all ears. Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: 96 Celica SX Tue, 02 November 2004 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You've got a few options, depending on your price range. A 3rd generation 3SGE (132kw), a 4th generation 3SGE (147kw) (also known as a Beams 'red top') or a turbo 3SGTE either 165kw Gen 2 or 187kw Gen 3.

The 2nd generation 3SGTE (turbo) is from the 1991 Celica GT-4, so perhaps you'd want to stick with the 3rd gen engines.

Halfcut prices from my brief research:

3rd Gen - $2200
4th Gen - $4500
2nd Gen Turbo - $2650
(no price on a 3rd Gen).

I'd assume all the heavy labour involved in the transplant would make it VERY expensive, but if you were going to put in the 147kw Beams or 187kw 3SGTE, you'd have a very sweet car.

The ST202 Beams frontcut would also include a limited slip differential (LSD) gearbox which will be very important for a high-powered FWD and other bits and peices you'd want to swap in (flywheel, loom), so I'd say it's worth going with a full frontcut.

The 3rd gen 3SGE represents the best value for money, but if you have the funds availible, a Beams swap would make you very popular.

Your Celica has a cub weight of about 1200kg - so that puts it 300kg heavier than an Integra Type-R and at about the same power. Roughly pricing suspension, exhaust and engine work at $10,000 for your car, depending on how much you're paying for the Celica, you might be better off going for
a 1996-1999 Type R instead.

I would Smiley =

EDIT: I'm doing some looking around now and I'm seeing that the Integra Type-R curb weight is rated at 1000-1100kgs, so thats not as far ahead as I thought. However, it takes the risk out of the engine swap, gives you airbags, good suspension and LSD setups and a gauranteed 147kw. I still would Smiley =

[Updated on: Tue, 02 November 2004 02:24]

Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 96 Celica SX Tue, 02 November 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My wife has a 95 ZR celica, yeah camry engine lol, its not that bad, but nothing to write home about, the car looks fast tho lol.

Xizor
Occasional Poster

November 2004

Re: 96 Celica SX Tue, 02 November 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah ok, well that definitely kicks that idea in the groin. My funds are limited to $16k absolute maximum.

Yeah i just really like the look of them. And the one i got my eye on has a gt4 kit.

[Updated on: Tue, 02 November 2004 02:25]

buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: 96 Celica SX Tue, 02 November 2004 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much are you getting the Celica for?
Xizor
Occasional Poster

November 2004

Re: 96 Celica SX Tue, 02 November 2004 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buck naked wrote on Tue, 02 November 2004 13:26

How much are you getting the Celica for?

About $14k. It seems to be in great condition, under 100k kms, rims, muffler, kit.
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: 96 Celica SX Tue, 02 November 2004 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not a bad price. You're a few grand short of a Type R, but have you considered Toyota/Lexus Soarer's, Nissan 300zx, or even a 1991 Celica GT4 (4wd turbo)?

The Celica looks good, will be cheap to run/maintain, will handle okay (partly because it's not going very fast) but that's about it.

A last option is a 1989-1993 Celica, and do that up.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: 96 Celica SX Tue, 02 November 2004 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id go the option of a soarer
over here in perth i seen one for 12k for a twin turbo model.

cheap as chips and will beat the pants of the celica anyday
Xizor
Occasional Poster

November 2004

Re: 96 Celica SX Tue, 02 November 2004 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buck naked wrote on Tue, 02 November 2004 13:36

Not a bad price. You're a few grand short of a Type R, but have you considered Toyota/Lexus Soarer's, Nissan 300zx, or even a 1991 Celica GT4 (4wd turbo)?

The Celica looks good, will be cheap to run/maintain, will handle okay (partly because it's not going very fast) but that's about it.

A last option is a 1989-1993 Celica, and do that up.

To be honest mate i really dont know shit about cars, so me doing it up aint gonna happen.

I do like the Soarers, but i can only find autos. I must drive a manual, it keeps me sane.

I have looked at the 300ZX's... they actually puzzle me. Are they 2 seaters or what? I want a back seat. Im thinking they are probably a bit too hot, would require comprehensive insurance and attract too much 'attention'.

GT4 would be nice, a friend said they cost a bucketload for parts and labour though..
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: 96 Celica SX Tue, 02 November 2004 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the 300ZX's have two rear seats as well.

What about an 89-91 series Supra?
Xizor
Occasional Poster

November 2004

Re: 96 Celica SX Tue, 02 November 2004 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buck naked wrote on Tue, 02 November 2004 13:57

I think the 300ZX's have two rear seats as well.

What about an 89-91 series Supra?
Yeah i almost bought a black one about 6 months ago. Although i dont like ones that are really stiff on low profile tyres. I frequent some bumpy roads etc and cat back exhausts are a bit too noisy.
Xizor
Occasional Poster

November 2004

Re: 96 Celica SX Tue, 02 November 2004 22:12 Go to previous message
Any other thoughts guys?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:JZA70 Supra questions
Next Topic:fual consumption problem in 7M-GTE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-