Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Cleaning Throttle Bodies?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
gt20v
Regular

July 2002
Cleaning Throttle Bodies? Fri, 18 October 2002 20:21 Go to next message
Hi there, I'm currently using Unifilter with trumpets on the 20v 4ag, and the oil of the filter seems to make the butterflies a bit sticky, sometimes it will keep the idle on 1500rpm instead of dropping to 1100-1200rpm, until I "pull" the gas pedal a bit, would "Carby Cleaner" work for this? Any damage to engine? Coz the product doesn't seem to have mention anything about throttle body, thanks in advance, cheers..
  Send a private message to this user    
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Cleaning Throttle Bodies? Fri, 18 October 2002 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
methinks carby cleaner would be ideal to fix this problem, i used it to clean my throttle body on my efi v8 - no issues.
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Cleaning Throttle Bodies? Sat, 19 October 2002 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also the black top does not use the butterflys on idle but sucks through the back sounds like your cable has no slack and is keeoping the idle high
gt20v
Regular

July 2002
Re: Cleaning Throttle Bodies? Sat, 19 October 2002 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Grega, I assume those carby cleaner can dissolve the air filter oil? Coz I think that's what's causing the problem.. Confused

Hi CelicaRA45, mines a silvertop, I don't know how it controls idle, but if the butterfly is stuck slightly open by grime, I'm sure it will increase the idle speed right?
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Cleaning Throttle Bodies? Sat, 19 October 2002 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check your cable it could be to tight and will pull on the throttles making it idle higher you said you had to pull the pedal up to drop the revs so it sounds like the cable to me and not the butterflys ,also take the socks off and put your hand s over the throttles on idle and you will see it wont affect it
Redrolla
Occasional Poster

September 2002

Re: Cleaning Throttle Bodies? Sat, 19 October 2002 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carby cleaner is a solvent used primarily for cleaning carbys (WOW) and also throttle bodies.

Run the engine while you're cleaning it. Give it a few revs as your spraying the stuff in. It'll run rough while your spraying, so you gotta keep the revs up.

ONce it's all clean, give it a really good rev as the cleaner can build up in areas that don't have much air flow, which will make it run rough for no apparent reason.

If the oil is fouling the butterfly's then you're using WAY too much oil on the filter. Yes, carby cleaner WILL get rid of the oil in your filter, so make sure you take it off before cleaning the throttle body!
gt20v
Regular

July 2002
Re: Cleaning Throttle Bodies? Sat, 19 October 2002 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got nothing to do with the oil in the filter, it came pre-oiled from factory (Unifilter) Very Happy
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cleaning Throttle Bodies? Mon, 21 October 2002 02:52 Go to previous message
I found I used to get generic crud buildup behind the butterflies on mine from the PCV system, carbie cleaner does a good job of cleaning them out though.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Corolla Engine Conversion
Next Topic:GZE conversion prob
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 01:08:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0039899349212646 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.