Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Supermarket Employment... Can they scew me over?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Supermarket Employment... Can they scew me over? Mon, 01 November 2004 18:08 Go to next message
Hey All,

I have been on a Uni Trainee Program for the past 9 months now and I have 3 months to go. Story goes that I worked for a 24 hour (big) supermarket on a permernet part-time during studies.

My Leave was approved by the Store manager so it's all proper.

My Question to you all that may know is, what are my entitlements when I got back (if I have any)? and am I entitled to go back to my original work time or is it just the alloted hours per week?

Any help would be good. I informed the Union that I was going on "Leave without Pay" due to Uni Commitments and they terminated my Union Membership...

Cheers...
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Supermarket Employment... Can they scew me over? Tue, 02 November 2004 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How long are you off for?

Its very strange for the union to terminate your membership, but that all depends on how long the leave is.

If you are away for a while, they shop has the right to change your hours to what ever they see fit when you return.
It all depends on how well you get along with your boss.
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: Supermarket Employment... Can they scew me over? Tue, 02 November 2004 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just join the union again, and call them a week later. I work with unions, they love to help you.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Supermarket Employment... Can they scew me over? Tue, 02 November 2004 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will be gone 12 months from the 1st of Febuary 2005. Funny thing is though they paid me out in annual leave of 1.5 months thus I was on unpaid leave for 10.5 months (till Feb 2005)...

As I am going back to do full time study, *I think* they are going to screw me over, my manager inline apparently has left and I am also left in the dark. The store manager and I don't see eye to eye...

Thanks for the reply chrishulbert, I'll do what you said and join back up, I will submit a letter stating that I will be returning to the store on Febuary 1st for employment. *I hope the letter will work and I get reaccepted back to the job*

Many thanks all, If anyone knows what to do or has done it before please post... Apparently from store statistics, they have screwed sooo many people over that they left, I can't leave... I still have 2 years of Uni left and a very demanding car Confused
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Supermarket Employment... Can they scew me over? Tue, 02 November 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm pretty sure you're entitled to sfa.

really you should be glad that you have any job waiting for you at all, big supermarkets have very little trouble recruiting new staff. beyond taking earned annual leave its really at their discretion to allow you to take unpaid leave at all, they can just give you the ultimatum to come back after your annual leave or hand in a resignation.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Supermarket Employment... Can they scew me over? Tue, 02 November 2004 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure what u have there is just a deal u made with ur manager and nothing concrete .
When ur finished they might not have space for you so u could be out of a job.
But it's only a supermarket after u have done uni ur Job options will have greatly improved .
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Supermarket Employment... Can they scew me over? Tue, 02 November 2004 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just call the union, if you were a financial member up until u stopped receiving an income then they will help you, just explain the situation and they will be able to answer your questions.

Not to sound disrespectful but is it that important to you to go back to supermarket work after uni?
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Supermarket Employment... Can they scew me over? Tue, 02 November 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mookie is on the money, you have some sort of agreement but its not an entitlement and if you don't have it in writing then they can very easily dishonour it.

and to those of you who say why go back, i finished a bachelor of economics almost 6 months ago and i'm still a nightfill manager for woolies - if you got a job going then you gotta take it, just cos you're qualified doesn't mean that jobs suddenly fall into your lap
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Supermarket Employment... Can they scew me over? Tue, 02 November 2004 09:42 Go to previous message
Dust wrote on Tue, 02 November 2004 18:59

Just call the union, if you were a financial member up until u stopped receiving an income then they will help you, just explain the situation and they will be able to answer your questions.

Not to sound disrespectful but is it that important to you to go back to supermarket work after uni?

I was on a trainee program for a year. Instead of doing 3rd year, I and an option of doing paid Work Experience for a year... So I have a year to go at uni before I am home free and can work full time. But I have a year left after this year so the options look grim... I'll call the Union tomorrow and discuss the options. It looks grim...

Thanks all for your help. If bad comes to worse. I'll just quit and move on.

Cheers.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:It's over
Next Topic:sweaty palms
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:58:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051889419555664 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.