Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
JZA70 Supra questions Thu, 30 January 2003 03:37 Go to next message
Ok as most of u know my celica has gone to heaven.
Now i am really interested in getting a jza70 supra.
What i wanna know is does the 2jz swap over fairly easily?
I would presume it does. Also would it be better to do the complete 2jz or 2jz bottom end and make it a 1.5jz???
Anyone know where there is any jza70 supra for sale in good nick??
Brett.
  Send a private message to this user    
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Thu, 30 January 2003 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IMO i wouldn't bother swapping to a 2jz unless you want absolutely crazy HP! the 1jz is very strong as you probably know and can get some very good power with a single turbo kit. However, if you really want a 2jz, i would start with a 7m supra as these are much cheaper.

later
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Thu, 30 January 2003 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why go the 2JZ route though ? Obviously it is *the* god of Toyota engines, but the 1JZ is a very capable and strong engine to begin with as well.

Look at it this way: Money spent on 2JZ conversion would be better spent on working the hell out of a 1JZ, and you'd have one hell of a 1JZ, instead of a stock 2JZ.

A front cut from a JZA80 Supra is gonna cost you megabucks (almost as much as a whole JZA70 probably), so I couldn't see the justification of going from a 1J to a 2J. Just my opinion though. If you were going from any other engine to a 2J, it would make more sense, but the 1J isn't that far behind a 2J.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Thu, 30 January 2003 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soarer wrote on Thu, 30 January 2003 15:12

A front cut from a JZA80 Supra is gonna cost you megabucks (almost as much as a whole JZA70 probably

this is an over exaggeration
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Thu, 30 January 2003 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The japs do a reasonably "common" conversion they nickname a 1.5J

Involves a bottom end swap. Maybe it'l be a bit cheaper and yield a good result - they seem to like it.

No more info - sorry.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Thu, 30 January 2003 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, IMO it makes more sense to do a 1.5JZ conversion. That way you don't have to mess with your existing wiring, plumbing etc... just swap the bottom end and leave everything else as is. You can get brand new 2JZ bottom ends from Toyota, apparently they're around US$2k (haven't seen a local price for one yet).
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Thu, 30 January 2003 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep Norbie, heaps easier, and kinda gives a bit more value in buying a jza70 rather than a MA70.

A "brand new" 2j bottom end in Australia would be a Lexu$ not toyota part, and I wouldn't even like to guess the price!

turbokid
Regular

May 2002
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Thu, 30 January 2003 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stick with the 1j. the internals are good for 500hp at the wheels. if your really want a 2jz start with a 7mge powered supra they are the cheapest. or you could get an imported ga70, they are cheap to.

also im not 100% but i dont think the twin turbos of the 2j clear the mk3 fire wall, so you might have cough up for a single turbo kit as well.

im pretty sure the 1.5j is an american thing not japanese. japanese rarely do engine conversion etc.

a front cut jza80 will be at least $6000. then if you want the 6 speed extra mods to the trans housing have to be made. i dont think the r154 can hook up to a 2jz without alot of custom work. the w58 out of the jza80 is the tranny to use.

Toyota wanted over a grand for a 7m airflow meter, dont ask about a whole block. Shocked
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Thu, 30 January 2003 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whoa, lots of misinformation there!

- It doesn't make sense to buy an M-series Supra if you're going to put a JZ series engine in it. The JZA70 already has the correct transmission, flywheel, clutch, engine mounts, etc... you'd have to source all that stuff from somewherer else if you started with an MA70, and that ain't easy.

- The 2JZ turbos foul the firewall on LHD Supras. No such problem with a RHD body.

- The 1.5JZ is most definitely a Japanese thing. 1JZ's are almost unheard of in the US.

- The R154 will bolt up to a 2JZ with no modifications whatsoever, provided it has the 1JZ bellhousing. If you started with a JZA70 Supra, you'd already have one of those (hence my comment above).

- A W58 won't last long in such a heavy car with a 2JZ. Not a great idea, especially when an R154 is a bolt-in proposition.
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Thu, 30 January 2003 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK I will only buy a jza70 supra I wont buy an ma70
I am just after upgradabilty options if i go get one.
Considering that they are the same series engines i just presumed that the 2jz would fit without too much problems.
But i would only consider this if i found a bargain 2jz.
Is there difference between na and turbo bottom ends???
I presume there would be.
Brett
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA70 Supra questions Thu, 30 January 2003 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Personally I'd stick with the 7MGTE. With the money saved from NOT buying a JZA70, you'd have a lot of 7MGTE.
http://www.texastoys.com/site/woowoo.gif
Oh yep there are 2 major differences between 2JZ turbo and NA bottom ends:

1. higher comp pistons (10:1), and
  2. oil squirters in the turbo block.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 January 2003 07:12]

Boostzor
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Thu, 30 January 2003 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If u wanna buy mine drop me a line at clg@iinet.net.au pretty good nic but ul have to ship it from WA.
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Thu, 30 January 2003 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
got any pix and some info on it? boostzor???
SO far i have found that the jza70 seam to be cheaper than the ma70. Haven't found many of either tho.
Boostzor
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Thu, 30 January 2003 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/showthread .php?s=&threadid=7590

IMHO u dont want a 7m they are ok but u cant crank as much out of em as easily and they are not built as well. Ure right though the price is prety much the same. ive heard that u can make 300rwhp with just a new FMIC and computer on stock turbos. Dont know how long they would last at that rate though.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 January 2003 09:10]

wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: JZA70 Supra questions Thu, 30 January 2003 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's simple really, You want a 1JZGTE in a Supra? GET A JZA70. Don't stuff around with a MA70 then getting a JZA70 frontcut. It's a %$#$ load of work!

turbokid, stop listening to the Americans, they are the the corrupt west snarl!

The 1.5JZ most certainly started in Japan. Infact if you visit a few JZA70 Fan sites in Japan alot of them are real fans of the Supra and do ALOT of there own work on the cars even in a shoe box they call a garage. Infact alot of the guys goto what is basicaly a community garage where you can pay to use the garage and work on your car.

Tell you one thing, the 1JZ started pretty much first go (once fuel filled the lines) and idled smoother and better than the 7M ever did! Very Happy

CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA70 Supra questions Thu, 30 January 2003 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT your goig to have to get rid of that avatar its distracting me from the posts

Wooo Wooo
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Fri, 31 January 2003 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Am definately searching now for a genuine jza70 supra with an auto (yeah i'm lazy).
So please keep eyes open for me ppl.
As long as it is in good condition anywhere on the east coast of australia is fine.
I will fly anywhere to pick it up.
Have my money in about 2 weeks.
Brett.
turbokid
Regular

May 2002
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Fri, 31 January 2003 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah sorry bout the missleading post

didnt realise the japs did block swaps and stuff. they have so much good gear from the factory they rarely need to do conversions and stuff. is it true that the stick with the 1jz head cause it flows better or is it just cheaper to do it that way.

i didnt think the r154 could bolt up to a 2j block, oh well thanks for clearing it up
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA70 Supra questions Fri, 31 January 2003 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turbokid wrote on Fri, 31 January 2003 12:49

Is it true that they stick with the 1jz head 'cause it flows better or is it just cheaper to do it that way?

Cheaper to do it that way.

Wooo wooooo!

[Updated on: Fri, 31 January 2003 02:19]

RiGo
Regular

July 2002
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Sat, 01 February 2003 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought a 1.5jzgte was a 1JZ bottom end with a 2JZ head cuz the 2JZ head flows better...

So which one is it?

1jz bottom with 2jz head
or
2jz bottom with 1jz head
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA70 Supra questions Sat, 01 February 2003 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2JZ bottom with 1JZ head. They keep all the stock 1JZ stuff, but its just as cheap to get a 2JZ block.
RiGo
Regular

July 2002
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Sat, 01 February 2003 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are the advantages of doing this? As far as I can see:

- Increased displacement (2.5L -> 3.0L)
- Stronger bottom end

However, you wouldn't be able to rev a 1.5JZ as hard as a 1JZ ue to the longer stroke...

[Updated on: Sat, 01 February 2003 09:53]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JZA70 Supra questions Sat, 01 February 2003 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The whole point of the 2JZGTE is the way it doesn't have to rev as much to make the power. This is part of the reason they handle big power loads as they only rev to say 7000rpm instead of a RB26DETT revving to 9000rpm to make the same.
Also, the bigger displacement helps get bigger turbos making boost earlier.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Sun, 02 February 2003 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 1.5JZ mod is usually done to 1JZ's that are getting a bit tired. Apparently it's cheaper to buy a new assembled short motor from Toyota than it is to rebuild the old engine. And if a 2JZ short motor costs the same as a 1JZ, why wouldn't you slot that in and get yourself an extra 500cc for free?
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Sun, 02 February 2003 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't know the price of i 2jz bottom end brand new from lexus???
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Mon, 01 November 2004 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So from what I understand the JZA70 has a 1JZ and a MA70 has a 7M... Did some come factory with the 1JZ or is that just what they're called when they've been swapped to a 1JZ???
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Mon, 01 November 2004 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a jza70 has a 1jz, hence the jz designation in the model number
ma70 has a 7m, hence the "m".
a jza70 is a factory toyota car, they came from the factory with a 1jzgte
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Mon, 01 November 2004 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aah thanks for clearing that up... I spose you'd be looking at another 5 or so grand for a JZA70 over a MA70

[Updated on: Mon, 01 November 2004 04:59]

TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Mon, 01 November 2004 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
na not really.. JZA70 are not that much more expensive.. But i THINK.. that they where released in 1991 which means u would have to wait till 2006 to import one then u would get a hell cheap one
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Tue, 02 November 2004 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats if the current import rules dont change!
or you could just buy a local one which is already rego'ed
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Tue, 02 November 2004 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i really hope they don't.. wat r they going to change too if they do change ?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Tue, 02 November 2004 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe a 20year rule or a 30 year rule
and no i am not joking.
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: JZA70 Supra questions Tue, 02 November 2004 23:05 Go to previous message
if such a 20 or 30 year rule did come in, they would make it hard as hell to get them in the country, because the government wants us all to drive new, or near new cars, because of emissions etc. . .
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:more help please??? whats wrong with my car
Next Topic:96 Celica SX
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 23:46:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070619583129883 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.