Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
zecscott
Regular

August 2003
brake upgrade - AE82 twinky Sun, 31 October 2004 09:52 Go to next message
badly need a brake upgrade on the front of my supercharged twinky. when driven hard they get hot and fade. even when drivin normally wouldn't mind something with a little more bite!

however the rotors need machining but i was just wondering if there is any other bigger toyota rotors that will bolt staright up? or is it worth gettin some slotted and cross drilled rotors? i'm runnin lucas pads (80%) so they're cool. or just get the rotors machined?

any suggestions appreciated

cheers all
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: brake upgrade - AE82 twinky Sun, 31 October 2004 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To be honest, no amount of machining, slotting, etc. on stocky AE82 brakes is really going to cut it. You really need to look at a full upgrade.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: brake upgrade - AE82 twinky Mon, 01 November 2004 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just for your curiousity, Prado Calipers (4-spot) have the same hole spacing as that of Corolla's... Could have a look at doing something there or, Just get yourself some nice GZE Twin spots...
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: brake upgrade - AE82 twinky Mon, 01 November 2004 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae92 series II calipers and rotors are worth a look too, they are the same as what came on the levin gtz. I've done this conversion and it is a noticeable upgrade over the original
zecscott
Regular

August 2003
Re: brake upgrade - AE82 twinky Tue, 02 November 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers lads.

Hunty: do they bolt straight up? what ae92? sx?

Johnny: do both (prado, gze) bolt straight up?

once again cheers all
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: brake upgrade - AE82 twinky Tue, 02 November 2004 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep ae92 sx series II, the series 2 ones are bigger i think the rotors are 258mm dia and 22mm thick

and yes they bolt straight up to the steering knuckle, you will need to get the angle grinder out and cut away some of the dust sheild because the larger rotors wont fit on.

you may need to go to 15" rims as well i have 14" mags but there is about 2-3mm gap between caliper and the rim on the inside i used to have the stick on wheel weights they use so u dont have the ugly weight on the outside of the wheel, well i cant use them anymore as it wont clear the caliper, that gives you and idea how close the caliper is to the rim Smile

good luck
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: brake upgrade - AE82 twinky Tue, 02 November 2004 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on cross drilled / slotted

from what i have read cross drilling is not the best thing in the world it reduces the strength or the rotor and can cause premature cracking, i could be wrong but thats what i have read

slotted is supposed to aide in cooling and deglazing of the brake pad.

But i dont think they make enough of a difference, unless on a track, to be worth the cost/effort

cheers
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: brake upgrade - AE82 twinky Wed, 03 November 2004 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the full four disk setup rom an AE92GZE import from japan on my AE82 sedan. Huge improvement in stopping power.

As Hunty mentioned you do need to cut the stone shield (backing plate) to let the larger disc fit. You do need 14" rims as a minimum! (mine clear by about 10mm but they arn't that standard Corolla 14's) You can fit the stone shield from the AE92 GZE hubs if you get them ( i got the 4 hub carriers as well) but it requires pressing the hubs out and then back in after fitting the new stone guard. This can potentialy do bad thimgs to the wheel bearings, so dont worry about it.

The calipers on the front will bolt to the either the singe cam or the twin cam front hub carrier. If you can get the AE82 twin cam rear calipers and hubs as you need to change struts and other stuff to fit the AE92 disk ones at the back. (The AE82 rear hubs and carriers are the same between the disk and drum versions, just with differennt backing plates to hold the brake shoes or the caliper). Dont foget to make sure you have the correct handbrake cable if you change the rear brakes.

I am very intriuged bu the Pardo 4spot caliper option tho.....

Also, i have managed to warp the AE92 front disks and will be going to DBA slotted version as soon as i have the cash Smiley = One thing i have come across is the Jap import ones I have are a 21mm min thikness (most are 20mm) and measure up the same as the AW11 MR2 front disks listed in the DBA catalouge.

Haggis.
zecscott
Regular

August 2003
Re: brake upgrade - AE82 twinky Sat, 06 November 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers once again for the help,

yeah i already have 15" rims so not a prob there.

well i might do some hunting and see what i can source (money pending Confused)

haggis: yeah my car is a twin cam so it has 4 wheel discs factory. cheers for the help.

cheers fellas.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: brake upgrade - AE82 twinky Sat, 06 November 2004 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haggis wrote on Wed, 03 November 2004 15:20

I am very intriuged bu the Pardo 4spot caliper option tho.....

Yep so am i.
Quote:

Also, i have managed to warp the AE92 front disks and will be going to DBA slotted version as soon as i have the cash Smiley = One thing i have come across is the Jap import ones I have are a 21mm min thikness (most are 20mm) and measure up the same as the AW11 MR2 front disks listed in the DBA catalouge.

Haggis.

Just downloaded the DBA catalouge and, like, the centre hole is ok but the height is only 47mm compaired to 48mm for the AE82 twinky. Would that be a problem, or?

Haggis, you still have your web site?
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: brake upgrade - AE82 twinky Wed, 22 June 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can get some ae-92 single pot calipers and hubs, if the calipers suit a vented disk will they suit either of the two sizes that are avilable? or a more realistic question how do I find out what these are meant to suit, which disk?

P.S its for an ae-82 upgrade also
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: brake upgrade - AE82 twinky Wed, 22 June 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam_Q wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 16:51

I can get some ae-92 single pot calipers and hubs, if the calipers suit a vented disk will they suit either of the two sizes that are avilable? or a more realistic question how do I find out what these are meant to suit, which disk?

P.S its for an ae-82 upgrade also

It depends on which ae82. The single cam used a solid rotor 243x13.5mm while the twin cam used a vented rotor 243x18mm.

The single cam ae90,92 used a solid rotor 243x13.5mm. While the twin cam (4a-fc and 4a-ge ???) ae90, 92, 93 and 95 used a vented rotor 238x18mm. The bit that gets interesting is that the model to go for is the ae93 4a-ge it used a vented rotor 258x22mm. The ae9x series use the same hub as the ae82. (Correct me if i'm wrong)

I think you'll most likely be better/easier to use the rotors from the ae93 4age (DBA708 - from the DBA catalogue and click download) and find the calipers from the ae102 its a bolt-on fit.

More info here
AE92 & AE82 Brake upgrade options....

Edit: Added a url

[Updated on: Wed, 22 June 2005 13:37]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: brake upgrade - AE82 twinky Wed, 22 June 2005 20:42 Go to previous message
thanks heaps for the help,I will se if can find those calipers
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply