Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
pepsicola
Forums Junkie

August 2002

Supercharger pulley Sat, 24 April 2004 16:10 Go to next message
i think the supercharger pulley in the later model is smaller(spin faster) than the early model.
is it possible to swap the smaller pulley to a early model(AW11) supercharger? do i have to use the later model supercharger belt as well?
any help?

thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Supercharger pulley Sat, 24 April 2004 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes it's smaller. the aw11 sc12 has a 125mm s/c pulley, but not sure on the later ones pulley size. you can source the s/c pulley set-up by itself?
depending on how much smaller it is you might run out of adjusment on the belt tensioner and need the correct belt.
pepsicola
Forums Junkie

August 2002

Re: Supercharger pulley Sun, 25 April 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool. coz my freind just bought a jap spec supercharged AW11.
thinking any bang for buck way to boost it up.

it think they're must be someone out there with a 4agze who changed to aftermarket pulleys. so i can buy stock pulley off them.

is the engine layout the same for the AW11 and AE92/AE101??
so that i can make sure if i use the belt and pulley together, i will have the right position.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Supercharger pulley Sun, 25 April 2004 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not many people change the s/c pulley as it's something thats not normally comercialy available (though i think there is a dude on these forums that does make them ?).
most comonly people get larger aftermarket crank pullies to drive the s/c faster, here is some info on Nevo pullies, one of the popular brands.

[Updated on: Sun, 25 April 2004 11:36]

pepsicola
Forums Junkie

August 2002

Re: Supercharger pulley Sun, 25 April 2004 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, ic. so i am thinking the different way around.
thanks for the info.
pepsicola
Forums Junkie

August 2002

Re: Supercharger pulley Sun, 25 April 2004 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the page doesn't show the price for the pulley kit.
how much they go for? the 164 and 175?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Supercharger pulley Sun, 25 April 2004 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you notice the BIG nevo sign on the page, click it. that'll take you to a page with contact details.

i do not know their prices sorry. Smile
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Supercharger pulley Sun, 25 April 2004 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
175mm is $550! ill have one for sale soon off my car for less.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Supercharger pulley Sun, 25 April 2004 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.speedchaser.net/small_pulley.htm

try these guys for undersized SC pulley, although pushing 13-14 psi is not good for your SC

or

get a Nevo for an oversized crank pulley for 12 psi

I cant afford to go turbo (mortgage Sad) but I could afford a nevo. Great fun in the traffic. Heaps of low end torque and better throttle response due to its light weight compared to factory. And it sounds tough Very Happy

I have a Jap 87 AW11 sc.

[Updated on: Sun, 25 April 2004 15:23]

no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Supercharger pulley Sun, 25 April 2004 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
May sound stupid to ask but.........
Nevo is definately Australia... yes?????
What are the foreign alternaative brands used for gze pulleys may I ask say.... in Japan and the states out of interest.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Supercharger pulley Sun, 25 April 2004 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nevo is Australian

do a search on diabolique crank pulleys. Or toyz boost junkie.
US manufacturers
Zhyr
Regular

February 2004
Re: Supercharger pulley Mon, 26 April 2004 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Old - are you running a stock IC?
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Supercharger pulley Mon, 26 April 2004 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is Cusco pulleys, HKS pulleys... all types. Nevo works out to be cheaper. but its still costly for what it is.
Zhyr
Regular

February 2004
Re: Supercharger pulley Mon, 26 April 2004 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Mon, 26 April 2004 13:09

there is Cusco pulleys, HKS pulleys... all types. Nevo works out to be cheaper. but its still costly for what it is.

everything for cars are expensive Razz
would have thought you would have known that Wink
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Supercharger pulley Mon, 26 April 2004 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes some things more than others. its just a piece of machined alloy....
Zhyr
Regular

February 2004
Re: Supercharger pulley Mon, 26 April 2004 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh but its a performance part=VERY expensive
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Supercharger pulley Mon, 26 April 2004 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My question is...... " Is 2 psi worth the $550 you pay for some of those pullies? "

Rolling Eyes

Albeit a turbo conversion costs more, but i couldnt bring myself to pay that much for 2 psi!!!! Laughing

Keeping in mind i never got to drive my car supercharged, i'm going turbo Very Happy
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Supercharger pulley Mon, 26 April 2004 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes I am running a stock intercooler. I cant afford W2A either. Shocked
God it felt good blowing a crumpledoor this morning Laughing

The 164mm pulley is for 2psi
The 175mm is good for 4psi extra. I have a 175mm Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 27 April 2004 15:03]

pepsicola
Forums Junkie

August 2002

Re: Supercharger pulley Tue, 27 April 2004 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

although pushing 13-14 psi is not good for your SC

why is it bad to push 13-14 psi for the SC? is it running way too fast? but sound like everyone does that.

what's the stock boost of a 4AGZE in a AW11? and the 2nd and 3rd gen 4AGZE?
what boost will a 175 pulley bring it to in a AW11?

Zhyr
Regular

February 2004
Re: Supercharger pulley Tue, 27 April 2004 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stock 4agze is 8psi
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Supercharger pulley Tue, 27 April 2004 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
something no-one has mentioned, that i recall from the world toymods list years ago, is that the electromagnetic clutch under the smaller pulleys is actually smaller than for the large pulleys, and you may run into difficulty with the larger clutch interfering with the smaller pulley.

i have NFI if this is actually true, or if you can swap the clutches around, but it's definitely something to consider.

2psi? Laughing and how expensive is it to get an (effective) extra 2psi intake pressure in an NA setup? Shocked more than my arms and legs Wink

just from simple calcs, taking boost from 8psi to 12psi should give maybe 17% extra torque, so realistically 15%??

hmm 15% extra torque for $550? sounds not too bad really Wink

Cya, Stewart

ps, as covered maaany times before, the SC is not efficient, and higher speeds or higher pressures can raise heat to the point of being detrimental for the teflon rotor coating.
pepsicola
Forums Junkie

August 2002

Re: Supercharger pulley Tue, 27 April 2004 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so all of them , AFM and MAP gze's are 8psi stock?
Zhyr
Regular

February 2004
Re: Supercharger pulley Tue, 27 April 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i only know for the aw11, but i dont see why it would have changed for others, unless some 4a-gze's run a SC14 and it has higher boost?
i could always be wrong though Smile
pepsicola
Forums Junkie

August 2002

Re: Supercharger pulley Tue, 27 April 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but the later model come with a smaller supercharger pulley.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Supercharger pulley Tue, 27 April 2004 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats right pepsi.
thanks oldcorollas Its a cheap and effective mod. Good results.
Im pulling 0-100klms in around 5.8 seconds now.
WRX STi does a 5.2

I have done alright for $5500 (Import AW11 + pulley)

Yeah, apparently if the SC rpm goes above 7000 rpm the teflon seals will melt Surprised
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Supercharger pulley Tue, 27 April 2004 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i revved my 4agze past 7000rpm many many times, my s/c is still in perfect condition.

people say that around or more than 14psi the coating can melt, but you gotta realise you dont drive around on boost all day. i am yet to actualy see a s/c with melted coating and there are a lot of s/c's being overdriven around the world.

i only had a 160mm pulley on mine which was spose to be a 10psi pulley. i could get 9.5psi on a high speed run from it.

originaly when i was researching 4agze's there was three main crank pulley upgrades.
160mm for 10psi
165mm for 12psi
175mm for 14psi
Zhyr
Regular

February 2004
Re: Supercharger pulley Tue, 27 April 2004 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh Old... supercharger at 7000, not engine at 7000 Razz
big difference Wink
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Supercharger pulley Wed, 28 April 2004 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been reading mr2oc.com too much
Ive never experienced it or seen it
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Supercharger pulley Wed, 28 April 2004 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But thats what I wrote zhyr. Didnt I? Confused
walkie
Regular

October 2003
Re: Supercharger pulley Fri, 11 June 2004 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Thu, 29 April 2004 00:55

But thats what I wrote zhyr. Didnt I? Confused

That's what I read. It was the guy below you that had it wrong Smile
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Supercharger pulley Fri, 11 June 2004 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you overdrive your S/C with a bigger crank pulley, are you spinning your alternator and a/c pump faster too? Or is the S/C on a seperate pulley & belt?

I'm kicking ideas around for getting some decent high(ish) RPM horsepower in my sillycar, and a centrifugal s/c would be ace. I think it'd have to run with the a/c belt though, because of the strut-tower being so close to the timing cover/Crank pulley etc.
sikmr2
Regular

January 2003
Re: Supercharger pulley Mon, 14 June 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Wed, 28 April 2004 07:24

i revved my 4agze past 7000rpm many many times, my s/c is still in perfect condition.

people say that around or more than 14psi the coating can melt, but you gotta realise you dont drive around on boost all day. i am yet to actualy see a s/c with melted coating and there are a lot of s/c's being overdriven around the world.

Im on my 3rd s/c in just over a year and i dont drive my car hard all the time. This is what happened to my last s/c
http://img45.photobucket.com/albums/v139/sikmr2/stuffed_sc12.jpg
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Supercharger pulley Mon, 14 June 2004 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
far out! 3 in one year. Shocked
sikmr2
Regular

January 2003
Re: Supercharger pulley Mon, 14 June 2004 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, the first one sheared the bolt that holds the pulley on off, and the second one started to rattle like mad and was getting louder and when i took it off i found the resin had melted away as in the pic above. Ive read that people are running the 175mm crank pulley combined with a 105mm s/c pulley with good results and the s/c holds up fine. Maybe i just had some bad luck. I have also read on a website but cant find it anymore that one of the early falcon air con compressor pulleys with clutch fits right on to the sc12 and lines up and is about 105mm, a good cheap alternative to buying a speedchaser s/c pulley or something.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Supercharger pulley Mon, 14 June 2004 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sikmr2 wrote on Mon, 14 June 2004 19:06

I have also read on a website but cant find it anymore that one of the early falcon air con compressor pulleys with clutch fits right on to the sc12 and lines up and is about 105mm, a good cheap alternative to buying a speedchaser s/c pulley or something.

there used to be this guy from Hervey Bay (a town south of me) he used to drop into where i worked and he rekon'd he had a falcon a/c pulley on his. but i dont remember him saying it was a direct bolt on.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Supercharger pulley Mon, 14 June 2004 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its not a bolt on. 95mm pulley though, same boost gains as a Nevo 175. But you lose the clutch when you do it. EA Falcon
Darola
Regular

May 2002
Re: Supercharger pulley Tue, 15 June 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey there all, just woundering about this ea falcon pulley.. does it work and does it bolt on or small mods??? just asking as my magnetic clutch desided to sieze and brake off Smile making wounderful nosie's.

Also i know they r running the 14psi pully with a modified s/c clutch pulley in nz making 17psi, apparently running nicely everyday:) if u do this u also need a chip in the computer to trick it so it only thinks its doing 14.

any help with the ea falcon pulley would be good as im about to buy another charger

Eddie
(Darola)
cplux
Regular

September 2002
Re: Supercharger pulley Mon, 25 October 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi there, came across this thread and am wondering what pully options for the sc14 supercharger are available?? Pully able to be changed on SC only not crank.
cplux
Regular

September 2002
Re: Supercharger pulley Tue, 02 November 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone???

have tried contacting speedchaser, so far with no response.

want to keep clutch but go smaller pulley on sc14 charger

Cheers

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Supercharger pulley Wed, 03 November 2004 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as I know, no-one makes another pulley for the SC14 that retains the electric clutch system.
Mitch.
Necros
Regular

September 2002
Re: Supercharger pulley Wed, 03 November 2004 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How does changing the s/c pulley to a smaller one affect the electric clutch?!
cplux
Regular

September 2002
Re: Supercharger pulley Wed, 10 November 2004 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heard back from speedchaser, their pulleys do not fit the sc14 apparently so does anyone know of any other options. s.c is on a 4y motor.

Adsport
Regular

December 2003
Re: Supercharger pulley Wed, 10 November 2004 10:55 Go to previous message
some of the earlier aw11's only made 5psi ( mine did, its an '86 ) I just swapped my complete sc12 pulley setup for an ae92 unit, you have to remove the whole lot cos none of the parts bwetween themselves are interchangeable in the pulley setup.

The EA pulley does work , i had one on mine but yea it chews chargers like nothing because theres no clutch and it heats up badly. Not an easy thing to have done btw.

Spanktown : CONTACT ME when youre selling it, i have cash.

there is HUGE gains to be had on the s/c motor by ditching that soggy peice of bread like stock cooler, the difference is phoenomenal. I have one on my own aw11 if anyone wants pics or details on installing one.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Suitable Intercooler?
Next Topic:1G TOP MOUNT INTERCOOLER
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 19:38:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076038837432861 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.