Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Do i need new fuel filter?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Do i need new fuel filter? Wed, 03 November 2004 10:08 Go to next message
Ok i have two events which convinces me i need new fuel filter just want to make sure everyone agrees, here goes. 1 I took the car to a mates house to give him a ride and show him what AE86 with 4AGE is all about, a couple of corners i thought it was time to show my friend its straight line power so in 2nd gear got it all the way to 6900rpm shifted to 3rd and a second later i noticed my revs started to drop and gradually conked out, i tried starting again and it just didn't start so pushed it home. Hours later after work that same night went to show another friend my problem and instead the 86 starts fine. 2 today i was jsut cruising around with same friend and noticed the car lagged at times before it accelerated. I've also had similar problems in my old 86 with 4AC and i was told to replace fuel filter and it worked so just wondering do i need new fuel filter for my new 86 ???? if not what do i need??? THANKS JoHnNy_K
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Wed, 03 November 2004 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would be a good start. My old Starion did exactly that. It'd been like that for a while apparently, so it didn't clear right away when I replaced the fuel filter Mad
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Wed, 03 November 2004 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well yeah lets say if i do replace the filter and still it percists? is there anything else i should look at, also i'm low on fuel at the moment so that could be contributing but still thats not good . Thanks anyway
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Wed, 03 November 2004 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could be fuel filter, its always good to replace them.

fill up your tank, converted carby tanks are prone to surge
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Wed, 03 November 2004 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Agree'd I dont let mine run below 1/4.
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Wed, 03 November 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well just filled up my 86 and shes running fine so far (5 minutes of some aggressive driving)and yeah i might still plan on changing the fuel filter just to be on the safe side THANKS JoHnNy_K
Jebus
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Wed, 03 November 2004 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check the fuel filter casing, if theres gunk built up on the bottom, then its a sign the filter is fucked. Just saves ya pulling it out.
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Thu, 04 November 2004 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well in my old 4AC i could check for gunk because the fuel filter had that clear plastic design. My new 4AGE now has those metal type ones (don't if they got a different name) and its pretty hard to tell if they clogged up or not.
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Thu, 04 November 2004 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd replace it becuase they are as cheap like nothing else and when i changed mine my car drove alot better
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Thu, 04 November 2004 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why not change it they only cost 10-15 buck cheap insurance if you ask me.
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Thu, 04 November 2004 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
echo, echo

hehe Very Happy
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Thu, 04 November 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how hard is it to change a fuel filter? is it easy?
im not stupid and do understand a fair bit but not sure on the what you need to do. do you need those lil clamp things to block of the fuel etc etc.?
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Thu, 04 November 2004 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, from my experience in my car (carby, dunno if that makes a difference) theres 1 fuel line to the filter and 1 that travels away from the filter. You just take the hoses off, didn't plug mine, take out the filter put new one in and reconnect the hoses making sure you dont spill any fuel thats sitting in the lines or filter!
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Thu, 04 November 2004 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm going to do this on the weekend sometime, but I have one small concern, I have an vl external fuel pump on my ae86.

Does this mean there is going to be a fair amount of pressure in the line already when the car is off? i.e Am im going to have to watch for a bit of fuel spraying shenanigans when i disconnect the old filter?
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Fri, 05 November 2004 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it wont be much maybe 100ml, plus the fuel filter will have fuel in it to
Tiger
Newcomer

September 2004
    5-speed gear stick
icon14.gif  Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Sat, 06 November 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greetings,
Yes a new fuel filter is a good start. they need to be replaced every so many thousand Ks. Check service manual for details.

For peak performance check on a regular basis your; Spark plug or injector gaps, dizzy, rotor botton & most of your electronics.

The issue could also be dirty fuel, some companies have shit fuel storage & even some dirt in the Tanks so your car will stuff up so you need to use their mecanic. Sounds rough but it's happened to me!!

Injector cleaner may also help with your fuel problems.

Best advice I can really give is to buy your self a workshop manual, so you can do your own basic repairs & diagnosis.

Hope some of this info helps ya,
Tiger
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Sat, 06 November 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i change my fuel filter every 5000kms
same with my oil filter and oil
also radiator fluid and plugs too @ every 10000kms

keeps it nie and efficient
and it keeps an eye on the old parts of them engine possibly filling up with shit/clogging
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Sat, 06 November 2004 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey thanks for everything guys. It seems the fuel filter is fine for now, i just filled up my tank (43 bucks for 35 litres!!!) and everything seems fine so far. I most likely have a dirty tank and wondering if anyone can recommend me any cheap effective stuff i could throw in my tank and do the cleaning for me (not in the mood to clean the tank myself, i gots TEE!!!). Anyways thanks for everything JoHnNy_K
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Sun, 07 November 2004 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
monkeymajik wrote on Fri, 05 November 2004 01:03

I'm going to do this on the weekend sometime, but I have one small concern, I have an vl external fuel pump on my ae86.

Does this mean there is going to be a fair amount of pressure in the line already when the car is off? i.e Am im going to have to watch for a bit of fuel spraying shenanigans when i disconnect the old filter?

Just take the fuse out for the fuel pump then crank the car over a bit to get the fuel out of the lines.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Sun, 07 November 2004 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johnny_K wrote on Sat, 06 November 2004 15:25

Hey thanks for everything guys. It seems the fuel filter is fine for now, i just filled up my tank (43 bucks for 35 litres!!!) and everything seems fine so far. I most likely have a dirty tank and wondering if anyone can recommend me any cheap effective stuff i could throw in my tank and do the cleaning for me (not in the mood to clean the tank myself, i gots TEE!!!). Anyways thanks for everything JoHnNy_K

Its a good chance that if you tank is dirty then your fuel filer will be clogged
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Sun, 07 November 2004 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Sat, 06 November 2004 14:42

i
also radiator fluid and plugs too @ every 10000kms

keeps it nie and efficient
and it keeps an eye on the old parts of them engine possibly filling up with shit/clogging

I understand people wanting to maintain their engines well but ffs buy some irridiums so u can go without changing them for 50000km.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Do i need new fuel filter? Sun, 07 November 2004 13:32 Go to previous message
You could almost get 5 copper plugs for the price of one iridium Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1G-GTE Ox sensor
Next Topic:ae86 front strut and brake upgrade
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 12:21:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077528953552246 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.