Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
ShiRi's Asian Movie Review: 2LDK Mon, 01 November 2004 13:21 Go to next message
As a result of the response I received on my sort of 'half review' of All About Lily Chou-Chou I thought that I'd start up sort of an Asian Movie Review thing as a monthly part of these forums...

Are people interested or not?

Please take a moment to read this review on the 2002 Movie 2LDK written by meh...:

This movie was released as a sort of 'duel' between to Japanese movie directors Yukihiko Tsutsumi and his contemporary Ryuhei Kitamura. The idea was simple, the two movies, 2LDK and Aragami were to share one similar story line, the two characters of the film both had to face death in some way or another.

Much like its plot, the title is curious while being unassuming. 2LDK is the Japanese abbreviation for a two-bedroom apartment with a living room, dining room and kitchen. It's also a curious point that the entire movie takes place in the confines of this apartment.

While what seems to be a peaceful and calm relationship, the two roommates, Lana and Nozomi's thoughts, which are revealed as narrations, reveal a relationship that is teetering on the brink of hatred and violence. Nozomi, the quiet, country girl who has come to Tokyo for her big break through in the acting industry and Lana, the hardened consumer junkie who is desperate for one last chance at stardom.

Early on in the film you realise that the two are competing for the leading part in a big budget Japanese film. It's obvious that both are desperate for the part when both Lana and Nozomi start taking pot shots at each others integrity and attitude by going off at each other for the most mundane room mate issue, IE. Eating each other's food, or leaving hair in the bathtub. The 'friendship' quickly degenerates into hatred as both girls discover that they are both seeing the same man. This sort of sadistic, black non-humour is what I have to come expect from Japanese cinema. Introduce the chainsaw, bust out the katana's and whip out the samurai sword. This isn't funny, its tragic, but you can't help but watch the insane action as the two girls pummel each other deep into the ground, the wall and the beds. You, the audience is left with two options from this point in the movie, laugh or cry. Whatever your choosing, your eyes are transfixed, you're sympathy for either character is shot, as you neither know which character you prefer. Nozomi, who is anal-retentive and juvenile, or Lana, who is bitter and deceptive? I dare you to choose while watching this film.

While I have yet to see Aragami, I cannot comment on which director had the better film, but 2LDK is well directed, well written, well acted and well presented and easily one of the best Japanese movies I've seen. What is impressive about this movie is that director Tsutsumi lets both the story, and the characters grow, which allows the storyline and the plight of both characters to gain more and more speed until all hell breaks loose. Though the film is short (only 70minutes long), it seems to last forever, its slowly-paced yet inquisitive, however what's even more impressive is Tsutsumi's ability to make the film flowing and ends at the perfect time. Any longer and it's expected that audience interest would be lost.

While its not on the level of Fukasaku's cult classic 'Battle Royale' or even Miike's horror movie 'Audition', 2LDK is still a classic cult film in its own right.

If you have ever lived with a roommate or had severe emotional problems, seek this film out, you won't be disappointed. (last two sentances stolen from another review Razz)

Shiri gives it 5 out of 5!

- 2LDK is currently being screened on World Movies along with Aragami, and is also available on dvd at http://www.yesasia.com

[Updated on: Mon, 01 November 2004 13:35]

Send a private message to this user    
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: ShiRi's Asian Movie Review: 2LDK Mon, 01 November 2004 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, Margaret, I disagree..... blah blah blah blah blah..... I give it 2 stars.

On a serious note, personally I would be interested in reading your reviews.

Anyone know what the Japanese film on SBS last night was? That Akiko Monou is HOT!!!

And Sydney boys, don't forget the Japanese film festival is coming up towards the end of this month.
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: ShiRi's Asian Movie Review: 2LDK Tue, 02 November 2004 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Tue, 02 November 2004 08:53

Anyone know what the Japanese film on SBS last night was? That Akiko Monou is HOT!!!

Don't know what the name of the movie was.. But Hell Yeah!! Shocked Very Happy
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: ShiRi's Asian Movie Review: 2LDK Tue, 02 November 2004 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only 2 Stars AE86slut? what didn't capture ur fancy about it? or are you just taking the piss?

last nights movie on SBS was 'Stereo Future', i saw it while it was on world movies... Good film, good humour in that!

[Updated on: Tue, 02 November 2004 02:54]

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: ShiRi's Asian Movie Review: 2LDK Tue, 02 November 2004 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ShiRi wrote on Tue, 02 November 2004 13:53

Only 2 Stars AE86slut? what didn't capture ur fancy about it? or are you just taking the piss?

last nights movie on SBS was 'Stereo Future', i saw it while it was on world movies... Good film, good humour in that!

I was just mucking around. Haven't you seen SBS's The Movie Show with Margaret and David and they sometimes have biffo's about movies! Great viewing!

And yeah, Stereo Future was very good I thought. Especially the Samurai character in the film they are shooting when he grabs a needle from the pine tree, pricks his nipples and starts going on about why he likes Spring and how when he pricks himself 3 times he feels "prickle, prickle, prickle".... Classic!

westlife
Regular

September 2003
Re: ShiRi's Asian Movie Review: 2LDK Tue, 02 November 2004 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was she the girl acting out screams during a sword battle ? where the "ghost" would dominate and throw the guys into the water ?

Or was she the girl who was posing for the photographer guy ?

Thats all I watched and remebered either way they are both hot Very Happy
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: ShiRi's Asian Movie Review: 2LDK Tue, 02 November 2004 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
She was the one posing for Keisuke towards the end.

damn damn DAAAAMN!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: ShiRi's Asian Movie Review: 2LDK Tue, 02 November 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont watch much japanese movies, acutally only seen like 2 in my life. one in a high school and fighting etc... was crap. another was interesting about school students killing each other until one survives. i used to watch heaps anime and love it

but one of my all time favourite movie is actually a korean comedy, My Sassy Girl. funniest movies ever couldnt stop laughing the whole way through. then i watch another korean comedy Windstruck with same actress and director and was crappiest film ever

but i used to be big fan of HK movies and can recommend heaps of good old ones
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: ShiRi's Asian Movie Review: 2LDK Tue, 02 November 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey can anyone tell me about 2 movies called "Battle Royale"?
I saw the opener of the second one, i watched it ona mates Engage, and it really interested me, bt i want to know if its worth downloading or findingm and a run down on the story? If anyone knows.....?
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: ShiRi's Asian Movie Review: 2LDK Tue, 02 November 2004 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha so much for the feedback on 2LDK

battle royale is a film about a group of school kids who get shipped off to an island and have to kill each other until there is only one survivor... the survivor gets to go home

pretty simple...
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: ShiRi's Asian Movie Review: 2LDK Tue, 02 November 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then whats the second one about? i just saw the opening of the second one with that tiny little girl covered in blood with a teddy,a nd shes smiling....
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: ShiRi's Asian Movie Review: 2LDK Tue, 02 November 2004 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
second one is the same thing

it just carries the storyline from events in the first one...
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: ShiRi's Asian Movie Review: 2LDK Tue, 02 November 2004 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah ok.. cool, thanks shiri Smile

^-^
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: ShiRi's Asian Movie Review: 2LDK Tue, 02 November 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jap movies rock Wink

There is a movie coming out soon 'The Grudge' starring SMG.. its a Hollywood remake of a Jap original and it looks damnnn scary. Anyone seen the original?

hmm Battle Royale sounds interesting.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: ShiRi's Asian Movie Review: 2LDK Tue, 02 November 2004 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bathurst-91 wrote on Tue, 02 November 2004 23:27

There is a movie coming out soon 'The Grudge' starring SMG..

Saw the trailer for this when I went to see The Exorcist (do NOT bother) the other night. Looks freakin SUGOI!!!
Dmonk86
Regular

August 2004
icon10.gif  Re: ShiRi's Asian Movie Review: 2LDK Wed, 03 November 2004 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Battle Royale (the first one) kicked ass! It was focused on survival and school groups of such, loyalty, teamwork and pure cunning. On top of that .. lots of killing .. the first one was very provocative but very good. Well worth the watch! (Kinda like survivor on crack ...)

Battle Royale 2 though was crrraaaaaaap!!! I was so happy when i got it, sat down and watched it with my g/f and was just so disappointed at the end. *shrugs* Sequels i guess ...

the grudge looked interesting! the ghost thing reminded me of the ring. funny thing tho, when my g/f and I saw the trailer to the grudge, there was one scene in it that nearly made my g/f cough up her chock top! haha

not really a *SPOILER* alert... but just in case you didnt wanna know it's below.

(it was the scene where SMG is in the shower and a pale white hand in coming out the back of her head)
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: ShiRi's Asian Movie Review: 2LDK Wed, 03 November 2004 23:29 Go to previous message
^^^ YES!!! VERY freaky!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:KoF or SF
Next Topic:Behold, Lego gun.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 20:58:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062539577484131 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.