Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
icon5.gif  Taking out 4AC help Fri, 05 November 2004 09:58 Go to next message
Going to take out the 4AC, are there any tips or shortcuts (if any, or shouldnt do)? Confused

any info will be great
  Send a private message to this user    
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Taking out 4AC help Fri, 05 November 2004 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the usual shit like draining radiator, gearbox oil
then just undo the mounts and gbox member, and support with jack
and then rip it out

ps. if you need to ask i dont really think you should be doing it. maybe get someone who has removed an engine before to help you
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Taking out 4AC help Fri, 05 November 2004 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea i wont be doing it me self, i have a friend who works with commodores who will be helping me out...

so there isnt any other toytoa/4ac perks or something? or should it be all the same? as in taking out (between v6's and 4cyls) besides the weight

should i block fuel lines and shit like that or can i just leave it?

cheers

[Updated on: Fri, 05 November 2004 10:27]

levin_boi
Regular

March 2004
Re: Taking out 4AC help Fri, 05 November 2004 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drain everything, radiator, gbox, and engine if u need to, undo all wires, undo speedo cable, take off da crossmember from da gearbox, undo engine mounts and u might wanna take out da radiotor so u dont punch a huge ass hole in it.

good luck

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Taking out 4AC help Fri, 05 November 2004 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just take your time, keep checking if there are bits still attatched, a frew to watch out for are:

speedo cable (mine unhooked itself somehow, lucky)

remove the radiator first

remove the inlet and exhaust manifolds, and all the little rubber pipes (this will take about 15 minutes, so much spaghetti)
and what ever else you can get off.

i smashed my cam cover with a giant hammer, cause my engine was rooted, but this is not necassary.

um, dunno what else.

leave the gearbox attatched, put the front of the car up on jackstands, possibly the back too. may not be necassary, but i found it helped a bit.

undo the two main engine moutnts at the front, hook up the crane to the hooks, undo the four bolts that attatch the gearbox crossmember (support with a jack) then let it down, pull out the tailshaft and watch it pour oil all ofer the floor

good luck, its not hard to do at all, but take your time if you havent done engine swaps before
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Taking out 4AC help Fri, 05 November 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers
might take photos for future reference Very Happy
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Taking out 4AC help Fri, 05 November 2004 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dunno if any of the other guys mentioned this but remember to unbolt the tailshaft from the diff so u can slide out the tailshaft from the gearbox easier.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Taking out 4AC help Fri, 05 November 2004 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want to do that, unbolt the taishaft where it meets the second half of the tailshaft, not the diff. you can just undo the yoke which supports the join, that will give you some more slack to bend it out of the way
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Taking out 4AC help Fri, 05 November 2004 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you dont need to take off the manifolds
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Taking out 4AC help Fri, 05 November 2004 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah, make sure you take off all the piping that hangs off the engine and goes into the firewall.
i farked up a copper/brass pipe that was on the firewall Mad
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Taking out 4AC help Sat, 06 November 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would i need special tools like sst things?
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Taking out 4AC help Sat, 06 November 2004 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No special tools needed.

Remove battery +ve terminal
There's only a couple of wiresgoing to the engine unplug them all (couple to carby, a few to the alternator, wires to starter maybe a couple to the AC, maybe a few earth wires).
Remove throttle cable
Undo exhaust pipe from manifold
Undo top and bottom pipes from radiator
Remove radiator
Undo the two hoses going to the heater from the back of the head
Remove lead from coil to dizzy
Remove tailshaft from back of box
Remove speedo drive
Remove reverse light wires
remove GB earth wire
Remove shifter from inside car
Drain GB oil
Remove clutch slave from GB
Undo engine mounts
Attach engine crane to pickup points
Undo gearbox crossmember
Lift out engine and box carefully
Stand back and bask in the warm glow of a job well done.

That's all off the top of my head, so inevitably I've forgotten a couple of things. But its all simple, just nothing is still connected before lifting it out. I did the whole lot without even removing the bonnet.

Hen
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Taking out 4AC help Sat, 06 November 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers all
just trying to get as much info as i can so it wont turn ugly Confused
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Taking out 4AC help Mon, 08 November 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what would be the best way to remove a g/box and diff?
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Taking out 4AC help Mon, 08 November 2004 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With an assortment of spanners... and of course a large hammer.

The GB is a bit of a hassle. Just get the car as high as you can on jack stands and ramps.
Disconnect battery
You may also want to disconnect radiator top hose and exhaust manifold from pipe as the engine can tip back a bit while removing the box, but I'm not sure if this is really necessary.
Drain gb oil
Undo all cables and wires
Remove starter and clutch slave
Remove shifter
Remove tailshaft
Undo all bell housing bolts (top 2 are a hassle to get to , but use a unijoint and a mega long extension bar, or reach in from the top and be prepared to wait a while)
Undo gb crossmember but SUPPORT THE BOX (maybe with a scissor jack or helpful sidekick)
Importantly, don't let the gb hang on the input shaft once the crossmember is out.
Slide box back and catch it

Removing a diff is easy although the trailing arm bolts may be tight. No need to drain diff oil, although you can.
Just remove the brake line and handbrake cables first. Handbrake cables can be easily removed intact from the bar where it goes from 1 to 2 cables. Remove swaybar (if it has one). Then remove tailshaft. Unbolt panhard rod. Unbolt shocks at bottom eye (diff will now drop down a bit), lever out springs. Then get to work on the 4 trailing arm bolts. Just make sure the diff doesn't fall on your toes.

Really it is all common sense. Just do it slowly and carefully. The only points which could be a suprise are making sure everything is removed from the box before dropping it and disconnecting the battery before playing with the starter

Now go out to your car and do it.
Hen
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Taking out 4AC help Mon, 08 November 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as said: make sure to remove the shifter! funny how you can forget about that because its inside the car.
and do drain the gearbox as said, i strongly recommend that one. (anyone whos had gear oil spray all over them will know what i mean)
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Taking out 4AC help Sat, 13 November 2004 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
should i remove the whole thing in one go (g/box and engine) or is engine then g/box betteR?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Taking out 4AC help Sat, 13 November 2004 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rthy wrote on Sat, 13 November 2004 12:50

should i remove the whole thing in one go (g/box and engine) or is engine then g/box betteR?

All in one is much easier Smile It is a piece of cake to drop a gearbox off a motor when the engine is out, not so easy when in the car (bellhousing bolts are quite annoying to get at, and then you have to support the weight of the gearbox as you are undoing the last few bolts, bah)

I'd suggest taking it out all together. Very Happy

Cheers
Wilbo
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Taking out 4AC help Sat, 13 November 2004 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As I found out recently, you don't need to be a genius mechanic to take this engine out. Me and 2 friends accomplished it in aobut 4 - 5 hours, none of having done that sort of work before.

Very much reccomend taking the engine and gearbox out as one. Use the adjusters on the crane to tilt the engine/gb forwards and backwards as necessary while your lifting it out. Easy!
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Taking out 4AC help Sat, 13 November 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers

it seems the ae71 and ae86 have different loom connections Confused
should i rewire the car from the ae71 or just use the ae86 4ac with some "minor mods" Confused
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Taking out 4AC help Sun, 14 November 2004 03:17 Go to previous message
the gearbox bolts are real easy to get to if you know how. All you do is under the gearbox crossmember, and let the gearbox drop down under its own weight. Then get an outragously long extension like a 1 meter one and use it to reach over the gearbox and undo all the bolts from there, then just put the gearbox cross-member back in loosly untill its needed again. You can buy these extension bars seperatly and its great to hit stuff with too. ALL of the reward facing bolts can be undone like this. I am unsure if its better to take the whole box out with it though, because getting the engine lined back up once its back in can be a bitch.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:whiteline ae86 strut brace
Next Topic:can it be? 18r-ge
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 16:43:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052709579467773 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.