Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » how the fck do you fit a swimmer pump into a carby sprinter tank

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
how the fck do you fit a swimmer pump into a carby sprinter tank Fri, 05 November 2004 13:05 Go to next message
hi all,

my latest hiccup in my ongoing engine conversion is my inability to put my walbro swimmer pump in the fuel tank of my sprinter.

i could have just "mounted" it by the outlet hose on the end of the pickup pipe, but where the hell do the wires go?

my bandaid solution, sell the swimmer to my mate who needs another one, use an origin unknown inline pump with no surge tank until the car is running and i can make a surge tank, and buy a lift pump and a new inline high pressure pump.

shouldnt be hard, i hope sucking shitloads of air isnt a huge problem.
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: how the fck do you fit a swimmer pump into a carby sprinter tank Fri, 05 November 2004 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, i have similar issues with my KE20 tank..

am just going to duplicate what normal EFI cars have, ie circle of metal at the top, a hanger bracket to which the pump is ziptied, and for the wires was going to use a fitting, pass the wires thru and epoxy it all closed (or a better fuel resistant substance if i find one)

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: how the fck do you fit a swimmer pump into a carby sprinter tank Fri, 05 November 2004 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was thinking of doing that, but i think the nest option is to do it "properly" even though it will cost around twice as much.

the surge tank is definately the "best" way to do it, just costs more, plus you will NEVER get fuel surge, unless you are doing a doughnut competition.

i have a good idea for an internal surge tank, but it would require cutting out the bottom of the fuel tank, and i dont want to do that either.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: how the fck do you fit a swimmer pump into a carby sprinter tank Fri, 05 November 2004 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh, cut the bottom of the tank, weld in a 3" deep, 4" round pot and stick the pump into that and you will never have surge either Wink

or alternatively, just tack weld that to the bottom of the tank without cutting the bottom and you are halfway there and would be a lot easier.. there are even plastic in-tank surge pots you could nick from other cars... ( i think i even saw one in a camry/corolla??) thats vaguely what i plan to do.. as well as adding another baffle (and using a tank that is another 10-15cm taller)

Cya, Stewart
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: how the fck do you fit a swimmer pump into a carby sprinter tank Fri, 05 November 2004 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here is my design, i dont think you can do any better for an internal surge tank.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-4/694192/internal-surge-tank-design.jpg

i might use this one day, definately in a custom built fuel tank/cell.

not on this project though
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: how the fck do you fit a swimmer pump into a carby sprinter tank Fri, 05 November 2004 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah, i'd seen that before... it would certainyl work and be piss easy to make/attach.. just 2 or 3 tabs spot welded to tank floor would be enough....

heh heh, i might even borrow that for mine Wink

nice font btw Very Happy

Cya, Stewart

ps, the Xenium rocks Wink
Anthony Kellam
Regular

July 2002
Re: how the fck do you fit a swimmer pump into a carby sprinter tank Sat, 06 November 2004 00:36 Go to previous message

I drilled two holes for the wires then sealed with metal mend or similar.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Dwell settings for 20V vs. 4AGZE coils
Next Topic:ma61 7mgte project
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 13:13:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050320625305176 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.