Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
gz20tt_manual
Regular

August 2004

1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Sat, 06 November 2004 00:49 Go to next message
Does anyone know where the stock boost gauge in a Manual Soarer GZ20 with 1G-GTEU gets its reading from in the engine/piping?

As a side note where is the best place to get the reading from in a mechanical boost gauge? Before/after intercooler or before/after throttle?

Thanks.
Mikey.
  Send a private message to this user    
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Sat, 06 November 2004 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It just has the light that flashes on doesn't it? There is no actualy gauge is there?

Put it after your turbo's to know how much boost they are running so that you don't break them, or put it on the manifold to see how much boost is getting to the engine.

[Updated on: Sat, 06 November 2004 00:55]

gz20tt_manual
Regular

August 2004

Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Sat, 06 November 2004 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, it has a boost gauge in the manual.

http://users.tpg.com.au/mvlien/Dash.jpg
See on the left of the dash with readings from -20 to +50 x10mm/Hg.

Mikey.
cthulhu
Regular

March 2003
Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Sat, 06 November 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
must be a manual thing coz autos just have the gear thing there
gz20tt_manual
Regular

August 2004

Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Sat, 06 November 2004 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know, that's why I specifically said manual.

Mikey.
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Sat, 06 November 2004 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have an 86 manual GZ20, I guess they started appearing in the later models. What year is your car?

It might be an electric gauge. Check for any electric sensor in any of the piping and manifold. Also check if there is a pipe coming off the manifold and running through the firewall.
gz20tt_manual
Regular

August 2004

Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Sat, 06 November 2004 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine is an 89 GT Twin Turbo Limited. I just assumed all manuals have a boost gauge as the autos have the Drive selector indicators (P R N D ...) in that place.

I had a good look around for some sort of electric sensor as I couldn't really find any sort of piping going through the firewall. I didn't find any, hence I resorted to posting this thread.

BTW is there an answer on where the best location to read boost is?

Mikey.
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Sun, 07 November 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are fitting an aftermarket boost gauge the best place is on the manifold where all the vacum nipples are..you should find a spare unused one cover up...Thats how i did it..
gz20tt_manual
Regular

August 2004

Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Tue, 14 December 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just for those who may be interested in this subject.

I have found the electronic pressure sensor virtually on top of the driver strut. The tube is linked onto the Cruise control vacuum and leads to the intake plenum.

Mikey.
Looonie
Regular

April 2004

Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Thu, 16 December 2004 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you sure thats not part of the cruise control system? My car is factory auto and I have that as well... a hard plastic vacuum line that runs off the plenum, back to the firewall and across to a unit that sits just behind the strut on the drivers side...

I pulled it out because apparently thats part of the cruise control actuation system...
amon
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Thu, 16 December 2004 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i found mine also on the drivers side and it turbo sensor written on it with a hose outlet and three wires coming out of it

Ta Guy Smile
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Thu, 16 December 2004 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SHIT UR DASH LOOKS DIFFERENT TO MINE , mines got the turbo indicator only (automtic)u also missing the normal/power option for the fuel also o/d switch(heheheheheh) Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing \

it would be good to see the boost gauge with all those lights in the night lolll

also anyone knows wtf is the scale change switch do

cheers mate
Looonie
Regular

April 2004

Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Fri, 17 December 2004 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The scale change button changes the display of the fuel gauge to a "closeup" view of the last 2 bars... Its for keeping a closer eye on how much gas you have left once you're on the last two bars on the normal gauge... just press it and see.

Your car is auto, thats why its different to his... Oh to have a factory manual I guess...

Too bad, I'll just put up with mine... now back on the road after I replaced my selector fork... YAY for not having to fork out $1600 for gearbox rebuild or near $1000 for a stupid W57...

http://www.boost.org.nz/Newshit/Return%20Of%20Teh% 20Soarer1.jpg
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Fri, 17 December 2004 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gz20tt_manual wrote on Sat, 06 November 2004 09:02

No, it has a boost gauge in the manual.

http://users.tpg.com.au/mvlien/Dash.jpg
See on the left of the dash with readings from -20 to +50 x10mm/Hg.

Yeah, but thats only 0.7bar or 9psi (ish)
You'd want to be pushing more than that wouldn't you?

And I'd actually say its a JDM thing, unless you car is Aus delivered.
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Fri, 17 December 2004 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scale change show's you how much petrol you have left once it gets under 10-15 litres.

indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Fri, 17 December 2004 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

[/quote]

since when were the soarers locally delivered

the scale cjange thingy so that what those numbers are there for , was wondering why so the numbers im guessing are the fuel in liters i think it goes to 15 doesnt it or was it 20
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Fri, 17 December 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Fri, 17 December 2004 11:14

Quote:

since when were the soarers locally delivered

the scale cjange thingy so that what those numbers are there for , was wondering why so the numbers im guessing are the fuel in liters i think it goes to 15 doesnt it or was it 20

Oh, I take it all of them are JDM?
So yeah, must be a late model manual thing.

And yes the number on the fuel guage after scale change refer to the amount of litres left in the tank. I'd say almost all digital Toyota dashes do this.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Fri, 17 December 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought it was percentage ie. 10% of 60L tank is 6L. seemed more like 6L than 10L to me Smile
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Fri, 17 December 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you sure it's a percentage?
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Fri, 17 December 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah cool man ,

im thinking its liters as well , but then i worked out that 1 bar on the normal scale gets around 50k and then starts to drop lower as the fuel gauge gets ower (as in 45 in the second , 43 in the third and so on)

so it could very well be percentage as well , but then if it were then toyota would have mentioned in percentage like they do in the rpm meter and speedo and boost gauges and all
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Fri, 17 December 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah, not positive but I seemed to get 60kms from the last 10 minibars. so...?
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Sun, 19 December 2004 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol ur cars is a good girl then mines high maintenance in terms of fuel , needs a good tune though , and i think the thermostat being open all the time had something to do with it , havent checked it after as i lost my licence Sad
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Mon, 20 December 2004 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Fri, 17 December 2004 11:20

i thought it was percentage ie. 10% of 60L tank is 6L. seemed more like 6L than 10L to me Smile

Yes, looking at the guage today, IT IS a percentage.

I have 10 bars on the full guage, and when only the last bar is lit up, I have bars up to the 10 mark on the small scale, so 10%.

Bit scary that I was driving around with only 3 bars on, or 3L in the tank.
wh00ps, hehehe.
gz20tt_manual
Regular

August 2004

Re: 1G-GTE Stock Boost Guage (in GZ20) Sun, 13 February 2005 10:33 Go to previous message
It was too hard to get pic with no flash etc. So I took a video of it boosting.

http://users.tpg.com.au/mvlien/boost.mpg (1.0 MB)

Enjoy.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:7mgte in MK11 rona
Next Topic:MS65 hub installation to Corona MK2
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 15:43:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075831413269043 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.