Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
naten
Regular

May 2002

smokey 1jz Sat, 06 November 2004 06:24 Go to next message
hey,

over the last couple of weeks my 1jz-gte has done this weird smoking thing about 3 times.

Its when you have been idling for a longer then normal time (around 5 mins), it starts steaming out the exhuast. Im almost positive its steam. It doesnt smell like oil and it has that steam feel when you put you hand in front of it.

Once you start driving it goes away. Which is weird.

Im really not sure why it is doing this. Could it be a slight prob with the head gasket letting water into the cyl's ?

Basically its a stock 1jz-gte in a ma61. Car has been on the road for about 2 months. It doesnt overheat and it doesnt loose oil.

Im kinda stumped as to what it could be.

Any advice is appreciated.

cheers
nathan
  Send a private message to this user    
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: smokey 1jz Sat, 06 November 2004 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Valve stem seals, turbo's, cam seal leaking into plugs.

That's all I can think of.
naten
Regular

May 2002

Re: smokey 1jz Sat, 06 November 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but it only does it when idling for a long period

start-up, normal driving and boosting dont produce any smoke

if it look/smealt/fealt like oily smoke then i could start looking at things but it doesnt use excess oil

could a fuggered pcv valve do it ?

going to look now
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: smokey 1jz Sat, 06 November 2004 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take the PVC out for sure... But valve stem seals can do what you are saying.

my PCV valve held a good pressure when I took mine out and blew into it. I might consider replacing it though, it wasn't 100%.

[Updated on: Sat, 06 November 2004 06:46]

naten
Regular

May 2002

Re: smokey 1jz Sat, 06 November 2004 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok re-checked all fluids etc

all is good oil still full, rad is slightly down but my refill tank is mounted lower then the rad top.

The pcv valve passed the blow test. Would blow out from the motor but not back in. I also noticed there is a little oil residue around the oil filler cap which could mean the pcv is fuxored ?

I guess the thing that makes me wonder is how is it making the smoke ? as in if its not burning oil or water then what is causing it.

thanks for your help man
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: smokey 1jz Sat, 06 November 2004 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you have the old type PCV valve with the big kinked hose or the newer type, check my site for the newer type.

If it's an older type get it replaced. It shouldn't allow the engine to be pressurised. So you are right.

If it's steam, then I have no idea. Start of a BHG?

sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: smokey 1jz Sat, 06 November 2004 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does it have power steering

i have had a faulty idle up vavle that sits on the side of the power steering pump

this was allowing power steering fluid to leak into the manifold

only did it at idle sometimes
and at start up

is your power steerinmg fluid low?
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: smokey 1jz Sat, 06 November 2004 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's a new angle sideshow. My idle up valve was taken out. It should have a one way valve on the hose anyway?
naten
Regular

May 2002

Re: smokey 1jz Sat, 06 November 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just cruised around you site and could see any piccies of a pcv

it comes out at a right angle from the cam cover and a kinked hose bends back around to take it in to the plenum chamber.

not saying its definately steam just trying to describe it the best i can.

it does have p/s. Do you mean that valve that has the two hoses that go to before/after the TB ?

checked the level of ps fluid its a little lower then what i remember it but not by much.

[Updated on: Sat, 06 November 2004 07:44]

Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: smokey 1jz Sat, 06 November 2004 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes that's what he means.

There are heaps of pics of it. This is the newer valve:

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/soarer/enginebay/DCP_2455.JPG
naten
Regular

May 2002

Re: smokey 1jz Sat, 06 November 2004 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shit must of missed it sorry

k in that case mine would be the old one.

bugger its got me stumped. just for info im running 5/40 fully synth oil and ngk 6res plugs

i just hate the feeling that there could be something wrong and you dont know what it is.

[Updated on: Sat, 06 November 2004 07:52]

sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: smokey 1jz Sat, 06 November 2004 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why does it have a 1 way valve
standard they just have 2 hoses goin to the valve one before throttle body one after
theres no one way valve

if u took the idle up valve off on the power steering pump just blank off hoses that goto manifold
otherwise it will idle hi all the time

all it does is when theres load on the power steering pump
it ups idle by 100 or 200 rpm

ive come across this once before it was the last thing we checked and it was it

if those hoses are connected just block them at manifold for a day or so and see if it goes away

if they did leak p/steering fluid into engine u get a whitish smoke not blue like engine oil burnin

[Updated on: Sat, 06 November 2004 08:02]

naten
Regular

May 2002

Re: smokey 1jz Sat, 06 November 2004 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes thats whats on it. thats what i tried to describe before Smile

i was reffering about the pcv valve being one way. yea thats why im findin it odd cuz it isnt blue or black its just white with no real disticnt smell.

k might give it a hit and see how she works. I hate problems that arent consistant, like you cant tell if you have fixed them or not.

if anyone has any other suggestions im all ears as well.

[Updated on: Sat, 06 November 2004 08:07]

Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: smokey 1jz Sat, 06 November 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah sorry no one way valve on the P/S idle up. Mine has been blanked off for a while as the aircon fittings wouldnt fit with it on.

I havn't any problem with it stalling and turning at the same time. If it feels a bit low I just give it a blip.

On another note, with your engine oil, try a thicker oil, 10W40 or 15W40, fully synthetic.

I found that 5W50 Mobile 1 was too thin, I think your engine will feel a lot healthier on a thicker oil. Do this for your next change.
naten
Regular

May 2002

Re: smokey 1jz Sat, 06 November 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
describe healthier Very Happy

the thinner oil would result in lower oil pressure to yea ?
been thinking thats a little low

going to blank off that valve and see how i go. just going to have to wait and see if it does it again i guess

the car as a whole i love just trying to iron out the bugs.

Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: smokey 1jz Sat, 06 November 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
0W and 5W is deisgned for new or rebuilt engines. Our engines are old and have done a few k's. The thicker oil is recomended out of the factory anyway. I strongly suggest using 10W or 15W oil ASAP. It will result in less wear on engine parts as well.

Currently I use Motul 10W40, It's a great oil, I might even see what other brands are good next time in the 10W range.

Let us know how the p/s goes.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: smokey 1jz Sat, 06 November 2004 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HPR15 is the way to go for 1jz oil. it's never driven nicer, and doesn't burn any
naten
Regular

May 2002

Re: smokey 1jz Sat, 06 November 2004 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the advice on oils guys

i blanked out that valve but the problem is still there. Was sitting in maccas drive through and she started to steam/smoke Sad

its really got me worried now
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: smokey 1jz Sun, 07 November 2004 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont stress about it naten

i know of 2 guys cars this happens too and they have had the issue for 2 and a half years, they have never blown a turbo or an engine, it is thought to be the rear turbo leaking a small amount of oil, from memeory they found give the car a few quick revs made it go away for another 5 mins. i wouldn' stress about it. i run penzoil gt performance in my 1j its 10w-40 and it works a treat. its well priced also, its only about $29 for 5 litres.

J Smile
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: smokey 1jz Mon, 08 November 2004 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OT: but another 10w40 user here Smile I use Repsol.
naten
Regular

May 2002

Re: smokey 1jz Mon, 08 November 2004 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea i feel a little better now

i changed the oil out yesterday for some HPR15, its 15/60 semi synth. seems to be a heaps better. It idles almost spot on now and barely misses at idle too.

I have tried to get it to smoke a few times last night/today but it seems to have stopped

it was either the shit thin crappy shell oil or this pipe that was running off the intake to a little carbon canister thing. ma61 owners can prob help identify it a little better.

basically a pipe runs off the manifold into small carbon canister looking thing, it then runs to a electronic pressure release valve thing, then into the valve that controls the flow to the heater core.

nfi what it does

so it wasnt either one of those but im happy cuz it seems to be fixed now.

thanks for eveyone who helped out.

cheers
nathan

cheers
nathan
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: smokey 1jz Mon, 08 November 2004 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naten wrote on Mon, 08 November 2004 19:24

basically a pipe runs off the manifold into small carbon canister looking thing, it then runs to a electronic pressure release valve thing, then into the valve that controls the flow to the heater core.

That is the vacuum line for the heater. The canister provides vacuum to open the actuator behind the dash and to open the heater tap on the firewall, thus allowing hot air to flow in the cabin.

If either vacuum line is disconnected, the heater wont work.
naten
Regular

May 2002

Re: smokey 1jz Mon, 08 November 2004 08:42 Go to previous message
ok thanks, i figured it was something that controlled the heater but didnt know what the canister was for. heather doesnt work anyways so i will leave it off.

if anyone has any clutch suggestions im all ears too. clutch is fubar. its a rpm 'heavy' kit that slips like shit.

Im running a w58 so anything that fits a 7m will fit mine.

Im thinking the best option would be fuck off pressure plate on an organic clutch?

cheers
nathan
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:gen 2 3sge cams regrind
Next Topic:brake pads
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 15:50:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.053288221359253 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.