Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Annoying noise at 3000 rpm Sat, 06 November 2004 04:37 Go to next message
Alrite at about 3000 rpm (full throttle/ cruising) i can hear this annoying sound comming from my catalitic convertor (imagine someone scratching a blackboard, its almost like that). What i believe the cause of this is was what i did before it happen. Sadly i had to reinstall my exaust off the extractors cause a bolt has mysteriously vibrated off. So a friend and I found another replacement bolt and reinstalled the exaust (from extractors) and used some exuast gasket cement (did the trick alrite). Now i reckon possibly tiny blocks of cement have found its way into the catalitic convertor and is vibrating bla bla bla. Anyways it hasn't effected my performance at all only annoy the hell out of me, just wondering if i should worry at all or for the blocks of gasket cement to find its way out (if thats the cause) THANKS JoHnNy_K
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Annoying noise at 3000 rpm Sat, 06 November 2004 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solution? get a high flow cat installed. or punch your internals out of your standard cat (this is HIGHLY illegal though)

juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Annoying noise at 3000 rpm Sat, 06 November 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like the internals have colapsed!
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: Annoying noise at 3000 rpm Sat, 06 November 2004 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok thats sounds fair, but the previous owner has owned the motor for less than a year (and he bought the whole exaust system including cat) so not too sure bout the internals being calapsed but still i will keep that in mind. But overall is this really bad or just bad as it should be replaced within the near future???
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Annoying noise at 3000 rpm Sat, 06 November 2004 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could be the inside of the muffler too or could just be resonation
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: Annoying noise at 3000 rpm Sat, 06 November 2004 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmm nah i'm 99% sure its the catalic convertor, last nite i sat there in neutral revving it with a friend and he confirmed as well its coming from the catalic convertor. Resonator? (are they in the muffler or convertor??), i've heard of them but forgot what they do. could it be that???
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Annoying noise at 3000 rpm Sat, 06 November 2004 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hollow it out

prob solvered
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Annoying noise at 3000 rpm Sat, 06 November 2004 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if ur quite sure its the cat, take it off and give it a shake out. then if that doesn't fix it, get a new cat.
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: Annoying noise at 3000 rpm Mon, 08 November 2004 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey i finally found out what were the annoying noise is comming from. At the back of my cat or outer shell i guess. Theres a small crack (about 2cm). It doesn't seem to effect my performance at all. Just wondering if theres any simple solutions like exaust cement or welding it up?? anyone got some ideas?? THANKS JoHnNy_K
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: Annoying noise at 3000 rpm Mon, 08 November 2004 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone?..... I don't want to end up buying a new cat just because this one has a small stupid annoying crack
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Annoying noise at 3000 rpm Mon, 08 November 2004 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just weld the fucker up and stop asking Wink
noogy
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: Annoying noise at 3000 rpm Sat, 13 November 2004 02:59 Go to previous message
you can buy muffler putty from k-mart for about $10.

works fine for cracks and small holes.

enjoy... Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:conversion
Next Topic:How can you tell (Diff question)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:07:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005234956741333 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.