Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Lt Ketch
Newcomer

November 2004
Purchasing advice for MX83 Wed, 03 November 2004 08:59 Go to next message
Hi all, I have decided its time for a new car and am 99.9% sure it should to be a stock MX83 GRANDE (well stock to begin with anyway Very Happy ). Does anyone have any suggestions of particuar things I should look / listen for? Looking around it seems the 7M motors can suffer head gasket problems are there any other show stoppers I need to be wary off? Any advice re this would be appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Purchasing advice for MX83 Wed, 03 November 2004 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there can be rust in the boot, and the sunroof can leak, that about all i know of, no-doubt there will be more.

Steve
beerfart
Regular

August 2002
Re: Purchasing advice for MX83 Sat, 06 November 2004 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cracked top tanks on radiators,cam cover oil leaks,distributor oil leaks,bhg,bhg,poor brakes,dud oxygen sensors,heater core leaks,rust around rear window pillars.apart from bhg,alot less problems than comparable holdens,etc.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Purchasing advice for MX83 Sat, 06 November 2004 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a friend who has informed me that his '92 Grande is on the market.

Quote from ad on ToyotaCressida.com forum... "All usual Grande options. Lowered 40mm. New front shocks and rubbers/bushings, tinted windows. 190,000K and 12 months rego. In Melbourne. $7600 or there abouts. I have no use for a car now so it's only going to sit around getting shat on by birds and stuff. Make an offer or arrange to see it."

I don't know much about the car but can find out some honest info if you want.

Beware of the blown headgasket, its about the only big issue with these cars... You never want to have to use this smiley... http://www.jzx81.net/bhg2_ani.gif
Most other problems you will expect with any used car. Just check it out for the usual stuff but pay VERY close attention to things like coolant level, coolant mixture, signs of poor engine maintenance etc. If the cooling system hasn't been maintained properly then a BHG is only a short time away.

Oh, and the timing belt is a Šunt to replace so find out if that's been done. If not, find out how much its gonna cost you when you need to do it. (every 100,000km it should be done)
Lt Ketch
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: Purchasing advice for MX83 Sat, 06 November 2004 23:31 Go to previous message
Thanks for the advice everyone, appreciate it immensely, damn head gaskets.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Audi is running a 20V engines, i didn't know that
Next Topic:IJZ 747 runs 12.44 @ jambo
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 10:46:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055899620056152 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.