Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Making 250-300rwkW with 7m-gte HELP PLZ

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RAWS
Regular

November 2004
Making 250-300rwkW with 7m-gte HELP PLZ Thu, 04 November 2004 12:17 Go to next message
Hi,
I'm after some info on modifying a 7mgte powered 89 supra. The car is a very low km manual jap import with exhaust. I understand head gaskets are a problem.
I plan to replace the head gasket with a steel item (i hear hks make them) and instal new arp head bolts. Does anybody know what this will cost doing the work myself?

What parts will I need to make 250-300rwkW apart from the head gasket?

I hear the turbo can be high-flowed with to4 wheels, I assume this will be necessary.
Will the stock intercooler be up to the job?
Will I need new injectors, fuel pump or fuel reg?
Will I need a fuel cut defender or something similar?
Will anything else need to be replaced or improved?
Should I swap cams, anything a drop in fit? or port the head/inlet manifold when changing the gasket?

Thanks for your help, I tried searching the forums but it's hard to find direct answers to these questions.

Send a private message to this user    
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Making 250-300rwkW with 7m-gte HELP PLZ Thu, 04 November 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rabid Chimp do the Head Gaskets for $140 USD.. you can buy online.. dont know anyone that does the HKS one locally. And its a long afternoon to change it, but Im goin down the same path as you bro so let us know how you go with it
stark
Regular

August 2004
Re: Making 250-300rwkW with 7m-gte HELP PLZ Thu, 04 November 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well there are probably many schools of thought on making this sort of power from a 7mgte....

250rwkw you could probably get away with

Metal head gasket arp head bolts (do a compression test first) The injectors should be ok but you will need either a piggyback fuel computer or a complete aftermarket system...

A hiflowed turbo would be a must you may even loo at a garret gt30 or similar ballbearing turbo.. you will also want to throw away your exauhst and start again...

For 300rwkw you will definately want to look at forged pistons etc

What might be a good idea to source one of the group a motors which came with an uprated turbo and TRD cams etc....
trza2k
Regular

January 2003

Re: Making 250-300rwkW with 7m-gte HELP PLZ Thu, 04 November 2004 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
About $300 for the HKS head gasket from Toyota Penrith and ARP head studs were about $240 (from some melb online place, cant remember to tired).

Yes you can high flow stock unit but if you have the money go something a little more decent like GT3xXX Wink

new cooler, new injectors, aftermarket ECU/PIGGY, new fuel pump. New clutch since the old one will die pretty soon with that power!. Maybe new raditor depending on how you gonna use the car.

There are other ways, try supraforums.com i think the questions like this have been asked about 6900 times Wink
RAWS
Regular

November 2004
Re: Making 250-300rwkW with 7m-gte HELP PLZ Fri, 05 November 2004 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anybody know about porting? How much does it generally cost to have the inlet man and head ported in ma70 turbo? Is it worth doing while the head gasket is off?

Also, in the nissan RB engines: they perform better with the NA cams fitted to the turbo models. More lift and duration i believe. Is this the same with the ma70?

If the MA70 is an imported '89 S spec manual what diff will the car have and will it be up to the job?

What ecu should i go with if i decide to go aftermarket(living in adelaide)?

Also, what injectors should i buy if i upgrade them? Are any other cars injectors a drop in fit?
stark
Regular

August 2004
Re: Making 250-300rwkW with 7m-gte HELP PLZ Fri, 05 November 2004 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAWS wrote on Fri, 05 November 2004 18:09

Anybody know about porting? How much does it generally cost to have the inlet man and head ported in ma70 turbo? Is it worth doing while the head gasket is off?

Also, in the nissan RB engines: they perform better with the NA cams fitted to the turbo models. More lift and duration i believe. Is this the same with the ma70?

If the MA70 is an imported '89 S spec manual what diff will the car have and will it be up to the job?

What ecu should i go with if i decide to go aftermarket(living in adelaide)?

Also, what injectors should i buy if i upgrade them? Are any other cars injectors a drop in fit?

In my opinion even for high hp applications a port job is not really that important.. I would get the inlet manifold port matched to the head however.

As for the cams if it is one of the 89 S spec or GRP A cars (The one with the extra big vent at the front) Then it already has uprated cams. If not then the N/A cams will probably be an improvement. Im not 100% if the NA cams are the same fit however as the NA motor runs a dizzy of one of the cams.

As for the LSD it has a torsen centre factory so it should be fine...

As for the after market fuel computers a like the Haltechs the E6X or E11s are nice ecu's.. If your on a budget ive seen a megasquirted 7mgtes at about the 400hp mark

The car uses top feed injectors and most top feed injectors will bolt straight on.. any aftermarket injectyors for GTR's should be fine, however the stock 440cc should see you upto the 300kw mark anyway.

RAWS
Regular

November 2004
Re: Making 250-300rwkW with 7m-gte HELP PLZ Sat, 06 November 2004 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea I am on a bit of a budget. Not too strict tho, got some $ to play with.

Can I fit a GTR cooler? Will it fit and how hard is it to have the inlet pipe coming from the other side of the engine bay (as it would be with GTR cooler)?

Also, what is megasquirted? Is there a readily avaliable short shift kit for the manual?

Can someone possiblly tell me a complete setup they would use if they wanted to make this kind of power in a 7mgte?

At the moment the plan is:

3" ss exhaust from turbo back
gtr intercooler, new piping, BOV
fuel pump, injectors
metal head gasket, arp head bolt kit
possibly inlet man port matched to head
turbo high-flowed with to4 wheels or possibly ball bearing turbo
aftermarkey ecu and electronic boost control
extreme clutch, ebc green stuff pads
will do suspension later

Is there any other parts I should be getting? Should I do anything differently? It will be my daily driver and needs to be reliable.

Thanks guys.

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Making 250-300rwkW with 7m-gte HELP PLZ Sat, 06 November 2004 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A guy posted about a old soarer with a 7mgte last week, had some serious mods as it was used for raced, destroked to 2508cc and was producing 330rwkw, so anything is possible I guess, my advice would be to try and track him down for some hints
stark
Regular

August 2004
Re: Making 250-300rwkW with 7m-gte HELP PLZ Sat, 06 November 2004 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAWS wrote on Sat, 06 November 2004 14:16

Yea I am on a bit of a budget. Not too strict tho, got some $ to play with.

Can I fit a GTR cooler? Will it fit and how hard is it to have the inlet pipe coming from the other side of the engine bay (as it would be with GTR cooler)?

Also, what is megasquirted? Is there a readily avaliable short shift kit for the manual?

Ok Yes I have seen a GTR cooler fit.. You will have to move or replace your power steering fluid cooler (Best replace it with something more substantial anyway) Then the GTR cooler fits quite easily..

As for the cooler pipes you can make the pipe come back around and back onto the correct side. Since you need custom piping anyway it will be pretty simple.

A megasquirt is an aftermarket ECU you can build yourself with very little electronics knowledge.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

If you dont want to build one you can get them made at a reasonable price.. The Megasquirt is a fully programmable fuel ECU replacing your stock ecu..

Yea there are short shift kits available just search google and you will find the gearbox model is an R154
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Making 250-300rwkW with 7m-gte HELP PLZ Sat, 06 November 2004 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
www.turbo-a.net
Fabbz
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Making 250-300rwkW with 7m-gte HELP PLZ Sat, 06 November 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, it isnt too hard to hit around 250kw from the 7MGTE.....its more a question of reliability.....remember that even Metal Head Gaskets can blow/leak.

My most recent dyno figures are 186rwkw/440nm of torque @ 12.5psi
Those numbers were with the following mods:

* stock turbo/stock head with 220 000kms (head gasket re done of course)
* 3 inch turbo back including turbo elbow
* Apexi SAFC-II
*Intake/Bov
* Upper hard pipes
* Everything else in top condition, cleaned injectors, plugs, wires etc..

Have a good read on www.supraforums.com There is a specific order of mods and the associated power estimate of each mod.

To hit 250kw @ the wheels I would:

Get a tO4 turbo kit, wouldnt rebuild/highflow the CT26....although if on a budget quite effective.....Have a look at - (http://www.japaneseimportparts.com/)
Metal Head gasket with APRS retorqued to 80ftlbs
Front mound intercooler...GTR will do....stock will hold up to the task with hard pipes mind you
Full exhaust system
Fuel tuning device.....SAFC-II will do
Walbro Fuel pump
EBC....Apexi AVCR is a good choice
Lexus AFM mod with 550cc injectors (Not necessary for 250kw but prob want to upgrade for 300kw or above) Smile

With this combo you will be making pretty good power. Like I said its not difficult to extract power from the 7M, its being able to make that power reliable.

My personal goal is around 220kw at the wheels and Im slowly getting there....dont go for peak power, go for low to mid range useable drive shaft snapping torque.... Very Happy

[Updated on: Sat, 06 November 2004 11:56]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Making 250-300rwkW with 7m-gte HELP PLZ Sat, 06 November 2004 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
250-300rwkw + on a budget is not a combination that will amke your engine last very long.

And think through why you really want that much, over say 220 which can reliably be had much more cheaply
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Making 250-300rwkW with 7m-gte HELP PLZ Sat, 06 November 2004 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

3" ss exhaust from turbo back
gtr intercooler, new piping, BOV
fuel pump, injectors
metal head gasket, arp head bolt kit
possibly inlet man port matched to head
turbo high-flowed with to4 wheels or possibly ball bearing turbo
aftermarkey ecu and electronic boost control
extreme clutch, ebc green stuff pads
will do suspension later

No need for exhaust to be stainless as long as the car is regularly driven. For these power levels I would consider a surge tank in addition to the upgraded EFI pump - RX7 injectors will do the trick but I'd suggest you get them cleaned. Porting is a waste of energy.

You can get better coolers than the GTR for about the same money - brand new, larger, less restriction... so why buy old sh!tty parts just because teh GTR can nevar loose?

MHG, ARP bolts, and aftermarket ECU with an EBC are definitely the way to go. Ignore anyone who says you require forgies at this level - they aren't a necessity but they're something people seem to think are a requirement. You really only need forged pistons if your engine is detonating.. and if your engine is detonating you should be getting it tuned somewhere else!!

At such a high level of performance budget for reglisiously regular oil changes (4-5000kms at a maximum)... also budget for a gearbox rebuild to upgrade the thrust washer and probably a tailshaft too (I twisted mine with CONSIDERABLY less than 250rwkw).

Now if you do all that, and as you say the rest of the motor is in good nick, then 250rwkw will be a walk in the park - but you're dreaming if you want a genuine 300rwkw on a basic hiflow without serious dollars. I would hazard a guess that, as you're asking these questions, you have NOOOO idea how fast your car will be with 250rwkw.... believe me it's plenty.

Please note you've listed about $10,000 in modifications. If you don't have that much money, then start saving!
bstjunkie
Regular

July 2004
Re: Making 250-300rwkW with 7m-gte HELP PLZ Sun, 07 November 2004 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Dude this might help all this gave me 221rwkw at 13psi on my old supra:

- HKS METAL stopper 1mm HEAD GASKET $650 (yes i know i got ripped off)
- ARP HEAD STUD KIT $150
- FULLY REBUILT AND HI-FLOWED TURBO WITH TO4E COMPRESSOR WHEEL CROPPED REAR WHEEL $950
- HALTEC E6X COMPUTER RED EDITION(LATEST ONE OUT) WITH INCABIN ELECTRIC BOOST CONTROLLER $2500 roughly fully installed and tuned
- WALBRO 500HP FUEL PUMP $280
- EXEDY CUSTOM CLUTCH $900 roughly
- CUSTOM TURBO INTAKE PIPE WITH AFM ELIMINATION AND HKS MUSHROOM STYLE FILTER. CUSTOM 4INCH PIPE FROM FRONT BAR TO FILTER around $400 with all the little bits and peices
- 3 INCH TURBO BACK EXHAUST WITH HIGH FLOWED CAT 3INCH $1200

All work done by me except exhaust and computer

The only thing i regret is spending money on the ct26 to high flow it and rebuild it when you can pick a second more hp turbo kit for not much more. Theres turbo kits on www.importbitz.com.au

Oh yeh all this was with stock intercooler which was damaged too.

Kav

[Updated on: Sun, 07 November 2004 03:11]

celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Making 250-300rwkW with 7m-gte HELP PLZ Sun, 07 November 2004 07:06 Go to previous message
When I got my Supra rough tuned the most the injectors would handle was 14psi (This was keeping it within the right A/F ratio), my next upgrade is a walbro 500hp fuel pump and 660cc injectors which will be going in once I recieve my HKS 2mm HG
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:tacho issue's
Next Topic:turboing a 2rz
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 11:16:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060110092163086 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.