Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » BP Ultimate new formula?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
BP Ultimate new formula? Mon, 25 October 2004 03:02 Go to next message
I was reading the thread the other day about the troubles with Optimax and how most ppl here are now using BP Ultimate. I then saw an article in Motor magazine saying the BP has a new formula for Ultimate. Suppose to have less Benzine or something, better for the environment and is certified as green friendlier.

Has anyone got any comment or feedback on this new formula?

I also read with interest an acceleration test they did with 1.5l Toyota Echo. The video is on the BP website. Two Echo going up a 5% hill from standing start and there was a very noticable difference in performance compared with 91 Ron fuel. I've always believe even my 3S-FE Camry benefits from higher octane fuel but this was the first time I'd seen some proof of non performance engines benefiting.

They also had a fuel efficent test done with a new Toyota Camry.

http://www.bp.com.au/ultimate/pages/video.asp

The motor article had other interesting facts. I didn't realise petrol is seasonally adjusted and different states have slightly different formulas depending on climate.
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Mon, 25 October 2004 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, the less benzene the better. benzene is a serious carcinogen, and it is terrible that there is so much just floating aorund our cities.. anyway Wink

petrol is always a bit of a concoction.. always use gloves when cleaning parts with it!!!
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Mon, 25 October 2004 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you'll only ever see a performance difference with high octane if the engine is tuned for it.

The extra power in high octane fuels is from it's ability to resist detonation. when you tune a car, it's a battle between max power and detonation. the engine wil make the most power just before it detonates. So with a higher octane you can get that little bot more out of it.

So unless your car uses a knock sensor and advances the ignition timing to get that little bit more (which it may, I have no idea...) then you won't get any extra performance.

So if you run high-octane, use it when you tune the car on the dyno, then you can either add a little more spark advance, lean the fuel a little more or add some more boost. but if you go back to regular, you'll fuck ya motor!

Tim.
koen
Regular

March 2004
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Mon, 25 October 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA28 wrote on Mon, 25 October 2004 13:18

So unless your car uses a knock sensor and advances the ignition timing to get that little bit more (which it may, I have no idea...) then you won't get any extra performance.

Unless you're using a factory ECU tuned for higher RON fuel, like a JDM one.

So has anyone used BP Ultimate yet? I'm pretty much sold on it after reading the article in this month's Motor, but i haven't had to put a new tank of fuel through the Sprinter as yet.
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Mon, 25 October 2004 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive used it for 3 years, dont use anything else
other than LPG anyway
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Mon, 25 October 2004 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ditto. My car seems happiest on Ultimate.

Most reasonably-modern EFI engines will see some benefit running higher-octane fuel, although exactly how much benefit varies considerably.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Mon, 25 October 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 25 October 2004 14:59

Ditto. My car seems happiest on Ultimate.

Most reasonably-modern EFI engines will see some benefit running higher-octane fuel, although exactly how much benefit varies considerably.

ditto for me too.
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Mon, 25 October 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ditto. it pings with lesser fuels
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Mon, 25 October 2004 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Both my 1UZFE, and my 1JZ-GTE run sooo much better on Ultimate Cool , than on Optimax Twisted Evil .
The family hack VR Commy also cops a tankfull of Ultimate when travelling. Does not improve performance, but increases range of a tank full of gas, by about 5%. Cool

regards Chuck.
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Mon, 25 October 2004 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

So has anyone used BP Ultimate yet? I'm pretty much sold on it after reading the article in this month's Motor

more like BP's add in the latest motor. i wonder how much it costs to buy a double page article in such a reputable magazine these days...
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Mon, 25 October 2004 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Yep, I use it all the time. For the older engines - the 18RG loves it and doesn't ping - on a newer engine, the wife's V6 Vectra seems to prefer it also.

Besides, our local Shell servo has that "save a few cents a litre shoppa-docket promo" and the station is so full that you need to wait 10-15 mins to get to the pump. The BP servo is never that fuill and you can usually get a pump straight away.

seeyuzz
river
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Sat, 06 November 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I've had a tank full yesterday of Ultimate and the car is immediately feeling better to drive after being on 91 RON for months. Accelerating uphill on the Gladesville bridge was definately smoother and stronger. Bit hard to tell if it's any better than Mobile 8000.
flynn21atwork
Regular

November 2003
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Sat, 06 November 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a carbi GSXR750 bike, I used to run Mobil 8000 premium. The bike would run ok, but better on that than anything else out there.
Now with Ultimate, the thing runs beautifully, which is amazing as most fuel is designed for cars and efi systems. I am running it in my 250 2 stroke race bike aswell. I am getting an extra 2 - 3hp out of it which is fucken unbelieveable. Especially for a 2 stroke race machine. I have no doubt that my bike will be harrassed for xtra scrutineering next race season if and when I use this stuff. Those kind of increases are normally unheard of on the track. I have done quite a bit of testing and tuning with Ultimate on my 250, on the track and dyno, and it's name definately matches it's performance. That's my 2 centz........
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Sat, 06 November 2004 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree that Bp ultimate is a better fuel than optimax but I did work experience two years ago at Motor and although a very reputable mag I would not trust the facts in this article to the nth degree .Motor has a deal with BP stating that they buy fuel for all the test cars from there, prob cos the ultimate is thew best 98 ron fuel, but it would look favourable for them in the deal to give BP a wrap, just a bit cynical thats all. Majority of cars ie the echo that tested would exhibit no performance bonus as they are tuned to run on 91ron, yes they would get better fuel economy and the engines would be cleaner because of the detergents but the increase in acceleration figures seem a bit dubious to me. My brother ahs an echo and on normal unleaded he alraedy achieves amazing figures. Coming back from orange the other week he achieved figures below 4 l per 100km so its fuelo economy is pretty hard to beat.
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Sat, 06 November 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ditty 1962 mini with twin su's runs heaps better and uses less fuel on Ultimate. It is smoother and starts easier. Pretty cheap improvemnt i think

Brad
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Sat, 06 November 2004 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've never really picked a difference between Mobil 8000, Optimax & BP Ultimate they all seem to work rather nicely in my car. That said I've been using Ultimate for the last few months, simply because it's on the way home and usually cheaper than the surrounding Shell. Caltex Vortex is the petrol to steer clear of.
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Sat, 06 November 2004 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got some last night(1.20/liter!!) but yeah have to agree its a good fuel..the car likes in more on boost then mobil..and shell optimax..well we all know this is shit fuel...
flynn21atwork
Regular

November 2003
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Sat, 06 November 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have had 2 x 2 stroke engines seize on Optimax, and know of other racebikes that have self destructed after using the stuff. It is absolute crap. You can not tune a high performance carbi engine to 98 ron, then put Optimax in it. I have contactd Shell, and their official word was that it is a "great fuel for all engine applications, however older non-efi engine management systems will not recieve as many benefits in using Optimax". They also said they don't provide support for racing applications. Typical Shell talk.
Having said that, I haven't ever tuned an engine specifically using it, so I don't know if it is really bad or just really different to other fuels. This is all in relation to carbi's as well, I am inexperienced with EFI tuning.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Sat, 06 November 2004 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got some in the corona today, hsn't been driven much for 5 weeks and thought would be good to take for a drive and flush out, best thing was the price not too shabby 111.9 booyea, only needed 22 bucks worth to fill up the tank but it did make a difference after a small drive, little more responsive and just revving much cleaner than before
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Sat, 06 November 2004 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 4G15 Lancer (carby) pings low down without running high octane. Now I just use BP Ultimate over Optimax 'cuz I hear it's better and their servos tend to be less packed.
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Sat, 06 November 2004 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have bascially proven on the dyno that ultimate makes more power than optimax its only 5 h.p but its definatly there .

i can also run 2 psi more on ultimate than optimax and have heard SEVERAL horror stories re optimax and eating injector seals , and even some brand fuel hoses react with it .

we testeded goodyear race hose (put a 1 inch piece in a glass jar for a few days . and the hoses went yellow and the fuel also turned tacky

same test with ultimate and mobil with perfect fuel . none of them reacted with noraml epco efi hose though . it seems to react with high silicon products

The big differnce with the ultimate is i can bring the boost on as fast as i want with the hiperboost with no detonation ..... Very Happy

it IS possible to make biug power gains with any fuel but to really get the full advantage out of it you need to make timing mods . i DEFINATLY say that with ultimate i can make 20 rwkw MORE simply becuase i can run more boost with no detonation
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Sun, 07 November 2004 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was under the impression that bp uses ethernol in all its fuels which attracts water which makes things rust. Ethernol also has a high octane rating so its a cheap way of bumping up the octane rating of petrol. Its also worth noting that optimax is used in the v8 supercars which altho they are not exactly high tech motors in those things they do make big reliable n/a power.

Thoughts/comments anyone?

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Sun, 07 November 2004 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only reason optimax is used in V8 supercars is because the series is sponsored by shell and has been for a very long time, BY having optimax they are also able to monitor thew teams fuel. Ie no more incidents like at Bathurst when the texaco sierra's ran higher octane fuel won and were disqualified. I'm pretty sure if it wasn't a control fuel HRT atleast would run Synergy as they are sponsored by mobil and what better way to prove a fuel superiority than on the track.
rx-3 ip
Regular

October 2004
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Tue, 09 November 2004 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i used to race go-kart , optimax is a no-no as it will eat the barrell's bore , i use ultimate in my car & pulls 8,500 revs on the track... nice..
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Tue, 09 November 2004 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alot of u might think this is impossible but heres my experience a few days ago.

I was using bp ultimate when i changed my cams and the idling was crazy as hell! Must be the cams. One day the servo didnt have ultimate so i took BP premium and the car idled much much better than before Shocked Shocked That was only $10 though

Went back to ultimate yesterday and idle wasnt as good as well.

Conclusion, PREMIUM seems better for my car for some reason. Car also feels less sluggish/lighter using ultimate. This might be psychological of course.

I'm using a 4age 7 rib bigport, japanese spec (imported)
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Wed, 10 November 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n, i've noticed that my 4age, smallport import also runs better on the bp premium, used to use ultimate however when it was really expensive i went to just the premium it ran just as well. however, on putting ultimate in it again i had heaps of backfiring.... Confused
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: BP Ultimate new formula? Wed, 10 November 2004 08:06 Go to previous message
ya mine backfires too!! What is the RON in japan? Is it 95 or ~100? dont remember it being 98
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:approx cost of AE86 respray
Next Topic:2tg timing belt HELP
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 18:28:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059809684753418 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.