Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

18rgeu timing diagram Sun, 07 November 2004 06:07 Go to next message
does anyone have a copy of the diagram for where the timing marks should be on a 18rgeu cams etc...ive put my head on with number 1 piston at TDC. then ive put the cams in with the notches pointing straight up.But when i turn the engine by hand i cannot even get 1/4 of a turn before it feels like the valves are hitting the pistons...what could be causing this or do i have the timing wrong...an actual copy of the diagram would be handy if anyone has a photocopy
  Send a private message to this user    
clancey
Regular

July 2002
Re: 18rgeu timing diagram Sun, 07 November 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you sure it's the valves hiting the pistons? If you you've got the spark plugs in you can get a suprising amount of resistance on a compression stroke.
RA40 CELICA
Regular

March 2004
Re: 18rgeu timing diagram Sun, 07 November 2004 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G'day mate, hows things?, the cams are a bitch on these motors Wink so you need to dial the cams in via the holes on the front cam wheels. The best person to help get info is Greg from Pro Engines in Queanbeyan N.S.W ph. 02 62995211 not only can he give you some good advice but he knows what these engines are and how to get them going (which is hard to find!!!)

Cheers

Justin
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18rgeu timing diagram Sun, 07 November 2004 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I havent got any plugs in it...thats the first thing i actually thought of...its got 18rc pistons in it to lower the compression so im guessnig its just either the head has to been surfaced down to far which i do not think is the problem or i just have something majorly wrong that im not picking ip on....what else can be causing the engine to jam up....rings, and all bearings are new. the head has been machined...i just donot know of anything that could jam it up...the bottum end was turning over freely before the head was put on so i guess its a timing issue...what would happen if i retard the intake and advance the exhaust to get around the valve issue...how will it run or will it run at all????
clancey
Regular

July 2002
Re: 18rgeu timing diagram Sun, 07 November 2004 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as I can tell the pins are just a tool to line the cams up, however as long as the cam notches are straight up while at TDC i wouldn't think that you'd have any problems (Unless the cams are on the wrong sides Smile).

Are the 18rc pistons dome or flat top?

Cheers

Clancey
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 18rgeu timing diagram Sun, 07 November 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
perhaps the pistons need to be flycut?
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18rgeu timing diagram Sun, 07 November 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 18rc pistons are flat top and because they are flat top insted of the dome i would have thought there to be no need for the flycut.....
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18rgeu timing diagram Sun, 07 November 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im almost 100 percent certain that the cams are on the right sides but how do u tell...i did lay them out the way they came off so i assumed they were right...the lobes on number 1 should point away from each other when the notches are at TDC shouldnt they....how would i tell if the head has been machined to much as i did have some sort of problem before rebuilding the engine as i found number 3 and 4 cylinder intake valves were bent and i seem to be having the trouble with number again now..
clancey
Regular

July 2002
Re: 18rgeu timing diagram Sun, 07 November 2004 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
By the looks of the manual in TDC, the first lobe on the left cam should point straight out to the left and the first lobe on the right cam should point straight out to the right. So yeah away from each other Smile

Hope that helps
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18rgeu timing diagram Sun, 07 November 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats exactly how i had it...im deffinetly starting to belive the head is to far machined down and ive just had it machined again and they never said anything about it...i guess ill have to rip the head off again and waste the new headgasket
clancey
Regular

July 2002
Re: 18rgeu timing diagram Sun, 07 November 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had a look through the manual and unfortunately cannot find any reference to machining limits for the head.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18rgeu timing diagram Sun, 07 November 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you sure the valves are hitting the pistons?

Try the old clay/plastesine trick.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 18rgeu timing diagram Sun, 07 November 2004 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u may have got the cams in the wrong place ie. inlet in exhaust side. and maybe one cam is really advanced and one is really retardted and so there is a slight overlap ie. valves clashing.
phyysically watch what valves go down and what pistons are on the way up and try to figure it out
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 18rgeu timing diagram Mon, 08 November 2004 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wias under the impression you couldnt put the 18rc pistons in a 18rg because of the whole interferance head issue.
I have rebuilt 4 18rgs now and i found the timing setup was pretty straight forward.
Why did you get so much taken off the head when you had it re-surfaced because these engines are over head cams you have to be very careful not to take to much off as you would then have to shorten the top timing chain.

Sounds like the valves are hitting the pistons to me i think you can flycut the pistons and still have enough meat in the crowns to make it work.

Cheers

Jason
omegaman
Regular

August 2003
Re: 18rgeu timing diagram Mon, 08 November 2004 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Going through all that was said above. Have you also checked the bottom end crank positioning prior to putting on the timing case. There really 3 points to have correct before the cam timing mark. crank and dizzy rod or drive gear. Something to think about.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18rgeu timing diagram Mon, 08 November 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i rang the person who did my head they said they only took 8thou off it...how can i do the clay trick when i already have the head on??? the only thing i can think of is ill have to pull the engine down, get some more photocopies of the timing setup (if someone has some) and then redo it all again as i just cannot find a reason..

if i was to have put the oil pump drive shaft in at the wrong location would that have done anything???i was guessing not as all that does is drive the oil pump and dizzy and would not make it lock up...i did have the engine rotating before the head went on..
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18rgeu timing diagram Mon, 08 November 2004 07:59 Go to previous message
after some more searching if found that it doesnt seem to be valves hitting pistin but more trhe valves are jamming up so the cam isnt turning...the head will be coming back off tomorrow...Anything i should look at while its off???
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TruTrac Diff noisy?
Next Topic:reuseing a head gasket???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 04:39:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062341690063477 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.