August 2004
7M - MA61 Sun, 07 November 2004 22:53 Go to next message
how easy is it ? to 7M-GTE an MA61
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7M - MA61 Sun, 07 November 2004 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, for the love of god, we have a search function on this forum, bloody well use it! No No No
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: 7M - MA61 Sun, 07 November 2004 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
easy it bolts in

Any M motor will fit any M engine bay.

Just wiring and intercooling etc will be the problem.

The hard thing is done. It bolts in.
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Sun, 07 November 2004 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice nice nice. Hey man don't get so upset cause of the Search feature. So will the 7M bolt straight onto the (i think) W58
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7M - MA61 Sun, 07 November 2004 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD_Celica wrote on Mon, 08 November 2004 07:48

Hey man don't get so upset cause of the Search feature.

I wouldn't if people actually took the initiative to use it, thats what it's for, especially for something like another M-series engine into an MA61!
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Sun, 07 November 2004 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh i didn't kno about that sorry mate Embarassed
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Tue, 09 November 2004 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.celicasupra.com

[Updated on: Tue, 09 November 2004 04:09]

negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Tue, 09 November 2004 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude... Researching is easy on this conversion.

I bumped into a conversion this guy Reg Riemer did in canada and thats what inspired me to do that to my MA61 when i eventually get it!

http://www.supras.com/~riemer/gtestory/

http://www.geocities.com/turbonos6/7MGTE_prep_and_ install.html

http://andy.supras.org.nz/ -- Great website that even has wiring diagrams!!!

http://www.celicasupra.com/dupler/

http://www.celicasupra.com/recipes.htm

http://www.supras.nl/linksSupra.htm

http://supragte.freewebspace.com/index.html

http://come.to/helene-and-matti

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/vehicl es/OurSupra.html

http://www.socalsupras.com/articles.htm

http://www.supras.com/

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/vehicl es/Supra_MKII.html

http://www.angelfire.com/me2/suprapage/mk2.html -- for a perve! targa MA61 in there sumwhere too!

http://www.j-garage.com/3210.htm

http://www3.sympatico.ca/dean.anderson4/

These sites pretty much gave me all the info i needed! Someone might want to put these into a list for this conversion on a sticky thread or in the tech section of this site?

[Updated on: Tue, 09 November 2004 05:30]

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Tue, 09 November 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seriously, if you wanted to do the 7M conversion into the MA61, all you need is:

Quote:

I based my conversion on that and its running great. Now you just have to call around to find out the prices Surprised
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 7M - MA61 Tue, 09 November 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian wrote on Tue, 09 November 2004 19:23

Seriously, if you wanted to do the 7M conversion into the MA61, all you need is:

Quote:

I based my conversion on that and its running great. Now you just have to call around to find out the prices Surprised

I concur with what Yian said, his conversion was great coz of Andy's documentation Nod

Cheers.
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Tue, 09 November 2004 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian wrote on Tue, 09 November 2004 19:23

Quote:

Phew, thats good to hear becuase that what im basing mine around! Already priced everything except the IC piping and its sitting a touch under 3000! cant wait till i have the money!
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats good dude. If you have priced everything down to the exhaust, get as many rubber hoses and just go to an exhaust shops for a couple of bends and straight pieces of piping. Cost me a grand total of like $80 for I/C piping. But lots of headfucks making them fit =p
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so how much am i looking at paying ? everyone is coming out with different figures ?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It all depends on how far you go with maintenance type things, how much you can get everything for and how much of it you can do yourself.
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i reckon dropping it in and fitting i could do, but all the electrical shit would b a different story
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well that wiring will add roughly about $500 to your total.
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so only in labour wat is the most expensive part ? dropping and mounting hte engine ?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pulling the old engine out, putting the new one in and hooking everything back up. Then having to fiddle with little bits to get it all coexisting with the car perfectly.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My conversion only cost me $4.9k in total, and that included the car

Mind you, the conversion was already done Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i am paying $4000 for mine, inclduing transport from QLD!! but how much could i pick up a cheap 7M that is still in good cond.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wiring you could do urself if you follow the pointers on Andy's site. Do everything he tells u to do and the car will start first go.

Good 7M with all acessories is dependable. Most places in Melbourne wanted from $1700 - $2500
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm spose it should be quite straight forward. i have never done an engien swap but it would b a good learning curve
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I didn't have any prior experience either. But my mate is a mechanic and gave me a hand. It would be good if you knew someone who could give you some pointers. Theory and practical always seem to be different somehow. Just a suggestion.

Yian
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hear 7m blow head gaskets all the time . is this true or are alot of people not looking after them ?
if so surely there is another motor you could swap in unless ur hearts set on it.
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 19:22

I hear 7m blow head gaskets all the time . hearts set on it.

Na this is true, but with a TRD Head Gasket metal type you are able to get heaps more torque.
the only reason i want this convertion is the amount of torque it will pull. Althought a 1JZ/2JZ is better there is alos a higher cost involved. and a 1G is just too small.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 19:22

I hear 7m blow head gaskets all the time . is this true or are alot of people not looking after them ?
if so surely there is another motor you could swap in unless ur hearts set on it.

yes it is true! Laughing i think many on this forum can attest to that.
however once fixed properly it should have no problems. its still a good motor.
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would rather opt for a newer turbo engine than something like a 5MGE or 6MGE.. the big brother 7MGTE!!
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD_Celica wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 19:46

Na this is true, but with a TRD Head Gasket metal type you are able to get heaps more torque

wha?
headgasket = more torque? how did you come to that conclusion
i wonder if you mean torque the bolts more? but what does the headgasket have to do with how much you can torque the bolts up?
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no no lol.. wat i meant was i will be able to get more torque from this engine rather than something else for aroudn the same price.. that is y i went on about the 2JZ/1JZ...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What he means is that you can safely put more boost through the motor with an MHG, thus creating more power and torque.

And STR8 2.8, reply to my PM goddamnit
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 19:58

What he means is that you can safely put more boost through the motor with an MHG, thus creating more power and torque.

Yew at he sais Confused
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD_Celica wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 16:46

and a 1G is just too small.

That's debatable, different for sure, but not too small. That mentality only arises from the fact larger more powerful engines have plenty of room in an MA61 as well, but neglects the benefits a 1G does have.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1g will make enough power to make an ma61 lots of fun... but of course, the 7m makes more and is an easier conversion, so why go the 1? (unless you're like nathan, and start with a ga61 body)
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
na i am sure the 1G would be a vast improvment over the 5ME, but still for the time and effort u might aswell do it properly
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7M - MA61 Wed, 10 November 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you're telling me 150rwkw out of the box in a car 1275kg, with an engine that is lighter and more centrally balanced isn't doing it right?

That said, having a 1G sump and engine mounts makes it easier, there are always two sides to the coin.
pannelvan_screema
Regular

November 2002
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 7M would be a lot better engine in the MA-61 as it has plenty of torque, something a 1G doesnt have (well not until about 3grand).

A car with heaps of torque is heaps better to drive

Richard
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pannelvan_screema wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 12:33

A car with heaps of torque is heaps better to drive

Granted, but a car with 2 correctly sized turbo's is better to drive than a car with one bigger turbo
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, i'll say 7M all the way! Here's a list of parts that i put together that will be making my Supra GTE and all work will be carried out by me and my dad.

7M-GTE - $1000 (Includes wiring harness and ECU) was very lucky to find this bargain in tassie

7M-GE Clutch and Pressure Plate - $190 from Bursons
7M-GE Flywheel - Yet to be priced

POD Air Filter - $120 K&N

3" Turbo Back Exhaust - $460 from Moonah Exhaust

MSD Tach Adapter #8920 - $137

Guages
- Oil pressure - $50
- Boost - $50

Air/Fuel mixture reader - $15 bux from Jaycar

Remote Oil Filter Adapter Kit - $200 from Jan 'n' Albies

Servicing 7M-GTE - $225

Flywheel Reground - $44

Intercooler Plumbing - Yet to be priced

TOTAL $2491

And that is my secret guys
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 7MGE clutch wont hold up to a 7MGTE for more than a few months

The pod filter is a WOFTAM unless you shield it like Joorsh

The Air/fuel meter is a WOFTAM

MSD Tach adaptor may not be required, by this last

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A few suggestions.

Don't get a std clutch unless you want to replace it pretty quick. Spend a few more bucks and get a good custom sprung centre 6 puck clutch and a high clamp p/plate for about $500.

Put on a new timing belt and tensioner, and this will cost you about $200

You'll need a 3" cat converter with the exhaust - about $300

Don't bother with a remote filter, they are not that hard to change. minus $200

Forget the MSD, get the booster from Sixworks (here on the forum), it is cheaper and made locally. - $98

Seriously think about putting in at least a new std headgasket and ARP studs - $350 or so

That adds about $820 all up extra, but well worth the hassle whilst it is easy to do !!!!

Cheers

Michael B

Oh, and don't forget about the suspension bushes, shocks, brake pads, brake lines .......

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've posted this before, but I'll post it again. It's a 1GGTE conversion into a GA61, so a few of the things are a tad different, but it lists a lot of the little things you forget.

1GGTE w/ Blitz turbos + W58 + wiring (inc. freight) $2,200.00
Heavy Duty Clutch Kit and Machined Flywheel $418.00
450x300x76mm Intercooler $389.00
Timing Belt Toyota Genuine $75.00
5l Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w50 $50.00
4l Toyota Red Engine Coolant Concentrate $36.00
Oil Filter AMDelco $10.00
Fuel Filter $18.49
MONZA Pod Filter $20.00
Heat-Resistant Foam Clark Rubber $10.50
3" Exhaust with High-Flow Cat and Muffler from Factory Y-Pipe $622.50
2" to 3" to 2" Intercooler piping $500.00
Radiator Flush and Check $66.00
Engine/Gearbox Oil Seals $150.00
Replacement Hoses and Vacuum Lines $45.00
Spigot Bearing $4.00
2 x Cam Cover Seals $100.00
Battery $110.00
Ampol Semi-synthetic Gearbox oil $75.00
Power Steering Fluid $6.00
6 x Spark Plugs (NGK BCPR6EP-N-8) (Denso K20PRU11) $20.00
Power Steering/Aircon/Alternator Belts $53.99
Injector Clean and Check $99.00

For a much higher than expected, current total of: $5,078.48
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well negative if yer up for doing it in yer MA61.. i shall do it with ya.. it's a good learning curve for both of us Wink
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Don't get a std clutch unless you want to replace it pretty quick. Spend a few more bucks and get a good custom sprung centre 6 puck clutch and a high clamp p/plate for about $500.

Okay, i was thinking about this but i have no experience with customs clutchs or have any idea where to get them from?

Quote:

You'll need a 3" cat converter with the exhaust - about $300.

Supra is an 84' model, been told that it dosn't require a CAT

Quote:

Don't bother with a remote filter, they are not that hard to change. minus $200.

Been told that there isn't enough room for the oil filter to fit, the space between the engine and side wall is small, hence a remote oil filter kit. What setup do you have running in your car?

Quote:

Forget the MSD, get the booster from Sixworks (here on the forum), it is cheaper and made locally. - $98.

Thnx for that mate

Quote:

Seriously think about putting in at least a new std headgasket and ARP studs - $350 or so.

Will look into it further

Quote:

That adds about $820 all up extra, but well worth the hassle whilst it is easy to do !!!!.

Thanks mates, was thinking my total was a bit cheap, was dreaming too much Very Happy

Will be looking at the Suspension, brakes, bushings etc. After the conversion.

Thanks for the feedback guys

-sam
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All the 83 model celica's i've seen have cats.
they have the standard zorst system.
mie has a custom setup and has no cat? and it's an 84 model so i dunno
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
negative boost wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 14:22

You are putting in a motor that was released with a CAT.
To get the car engineered, you will need a CAT.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 14:26

All the 83 model celica's i've seen have cats.
they have the standard zorst system.
mie has a custom setup and has no cat? and it's an 84 model so i dunno

No Aus delivered MA61's had CAT's (except maybe the late 85), as they were released with the intention of running on leaded fuel
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The EFI model xA's celica have cats, but the carbies one's don't
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No car sold in Australia had a catalytic converter before 1986, because unleaded fuel simply wasn't available here before then. A cat will clog up in no time if run on leaded fuel. Of course if you're looking at grey-import cars that's a different story, because Japan switched to unleaded in the 70's.

MA61's have heat shielding which at first glance looks sort of like a cat, so maybe that's what you're thinking of.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 17:39

No car sold in Australia had a catalytic converter before 1986, because unleaded fuel simply wasn't available here before then. A cat will clog up in no time if run on leaded fuel. Of course if you're looking at grey-import cars that's a different story, because Japan switched to unleaded in the 70's.

MA61's have heat shielding which at first glance looks sort of like a cat, so maybe that's what you're thinking of.

So that would mean that the 83 model celica's i've seen would have been sitting in a warehouse for 3 years before being sold ?
That can't be right.
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 17:26

negative boost wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 14:22

You are putting in a motor that was released with a CAT.
To get the car engineered, you will need a CAT.

Hmm, the guys down at the exhaust place said that i would probably wouldn't need one as the chassis is an 84' model and dosnt matter what year the engine is. just saying what they said
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Either way, you'll get shafted when the time comes for an emissions test without a cat.
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, oh well just looks like im going to have to be a mroe sedate driver on the roads then. And fingers crossed all goes well. by the way what does 'WOFTAM' mean?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
negative boost wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 15:13

by the way what does 'WOFTAM' mean?

Waste Of Fucking Time And Money
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thnx, well the POD air filter is needed as you cant fit the standard mk3 air filter box in the mk2 chassis. Will be looking at making a heat shield like Joorsh's

Oh, hope this is helping you TRD Razz

[Updated on: Thu, 11 November 2004 07:25]

TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea it is... it's good. hopefully yer dad has some good knowledge negative.. BTW when u r u thginking of gettig yer supra
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Thu, 11 November 2004 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a thought. $250 got me a custom sprung centre 4 puck clutch suited to the 5me flywheel. I've been giving it hell and back for the last 2 months. Still holding up. If you can't find a 7m-gte flywheel maybe you can go this direction first?
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Fri, 12 November 2004 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm it is worth giving some though.. thx yian
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7M - MA61 Fri, 12 November 2004 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 16:48

So that would mean that the 83 model celica's i've seen would have been sitting in a warehouse for 3 years before being sold ?
That can't be right.

Nope. Either you're looking at JDM imports, or what you saw wasn't really a cat at all.
TRD_Celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: 7M - MA61 Fri, 12 November 2004 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 17:39

No car sold in Australia had a catalytic converter before 1986, because unleaded fuel simply wasn't available here before then.

Mookie i reckon yer mates celica's where imported and soemwhere along the line they where never told or it wasn't a cat.. AGREE's with Norbie Btw norbie how did u get the name Norbie ?
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:which engine for my ra23
Next Topic:Celica Suspension
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 11:50:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0087418556213379 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.