Toymods » Tech & Conversions » KE70r mods, need verification & tips

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
toyotakia
Occasional Poster

October 2004

KE70r mods, need verification & tips Sat, 06 November 2004 17:09 Go to next message
Hi, i'm new here. Actually i've been browsing this forum for 2 months now to get more info and tried to read everything in billzilla.org since few months ago. I now have a basic idea on what to do but i need someone to verify what i've learn just in case i get the wrong idea. If you don't mind i'll start with my car.

Background
A toyota corolla DX, KE70r, 1980 model, last batch of DX before the GL came out. It has a rather square headlight, actualy its triangle but not as long as the GL. It came with a black rubber bumper instead of a metal one like the previous model (with 4 round headlight).

Engine
4K, not 4K-C(according to the user manual 4K came with 9:1 com ratio while 4K-C 8.5:1). overhauled once, still running smooth, just underpowered (and the main reason i came here).

Gearbox
K-50. Changed 4 times, first one make strange noice, second one the same prob, third one lasted for 30 minute after installation before it crack and the whole thing drop on the road and had to install the forth one at the roadside (big embarasment Embarassed )

rear axle
Not very sure, but i bet its the bog warmer thing you guys talk about. The metal plate in the engine bay say it is "U2xx" something i can't remember. I'll verify it again.

Things i've changed so far
Actually the car is pretty much stock, and i dare to say its well taken of and has the best condition(compare to other KE70 in my hometown Razz ). The only thing i've change is the rims, its now JRD 13" deep dish, 195/50 at the front and 215/50 at the rear. Seems to be able to corner way better than the stock. Oh ya, and one TRD badge i stick at the rear to amuse myself Smile .

Purpose of the car
Near future - (Kick @$$) daily driver
Not-so-near future - Daily Driver + potential drift machine. Its because a track is to be build in few years time near where i live, until now there's no track, so i wanted to learn to drift once the track is available. Not expert drifting, but just drift for fun.

Goals i'm hoping to reach
- at least 150rwhp
- good mid range torque
- little body roll
- great trottle respond
- as little frame work as posible (hopefully no tempering with firewall

Mods in plan
Engine
I need 150rwhp, and good midrange torque. For what i've learn, seems like force induction is probably the best choice. I don't want to use a >300 degree racing cam on a 4AGE and make it undrivable on low RPM, and the 20v model need modification on the firewall. And you guys say the 20v isn't good value for money.

If force induction is the case, should i go for turbocharge or supercharge? In the article section, the 4A-GTE article writen by Michael, said the turbine of RB20 will start boosting at 2600rpm, does that mean no boost before that? is there a turbo that will spool up faster?

Some other source told me that the supercharger start pumping air at 1500rpm, which seems more attractive to me. But since it uses engine's power to turn the supercharger it produce less power. Well i'm confuse which one to choose. Help is needed.

Gearbox & rear axle
I initially plan to get the T50 gearbox and the T-series j-spec sprinter rear axle w/ LSD. But after reading what you guys had said, it seems like they are design for NA application and not Turbo.

So i plan to get the W5x series gearbox, but somehow still a little bit confuse. Question, do all W5x series gearbox will fit into a 4ag(z/t)e? You guys only talk about the MA61, MA70 and JZA80 supra, but at where i live there is one KE70 with some "street reputation" using a GA70 supra's gearbox and rear axle. I think it might be this supra http://www.flashoptions.com/product.asp?prodID=54. Anyone know anything about a GA70 supra? friend of mine in the tuning market told me parts of a JZA80 is going to be expensive here.

Well, i'll just ask a few things first, don't want to get all greedy and ask everything at once. Hope you guys can help out an oversea toyota moder. If not i'll be turning around in circles again. Sad
  Send a private message to this user    
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Sat, 06 November 2004 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here is my 2 cents

pretty much everyone on here will disagree with me on wat im gonna say so yer

i have a ke70 myself, mines got a 5k with extractors.(very gutsy ova the 4k)

the way to go to avoid problems would probly be to put in a 7k posibly with efi. its a 1.8 as u probly already know and will bolt straight in without any problems. then all u gotta do is if its not good enough then do sum engine work.

laterdays
toyotakia
Occasional Poster

October 2004

Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Sun, 07 November 2004 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apreciate your opinion. But i need a 1.6 liter engine and i don't think a 7k can give me 150rwhp
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Sun, 07 November 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agze
toyotakia
Occasional Poster

October 2004

Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Sun, 07 November 2004 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do i need a oversize puley to get that power? or a stock 4agze will do? And i've been looking in my engine bay, i wanted to put the intercooler in front but there isn't space left as the radiator is taking it all up. Where should i put it? on top of the engine and make an air scoop to draw in air?

oh ya. you guys say the gze made alot more heat, do i really need to change the radiator or the stock will do?
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Sun, 07 November 2004 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turn it into a ae71, ie. fit a 4AC with t50 (stock setup of ae71) then the rest is history!
toyotakia
Occasional Poster

October 2004

Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Sun, 07 November 2004 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i don't see a sigle AE71 on the street here, nor do i know if i can get parts of AE71. Friend of mine ask me to custom made the engine mount for the 4A engine.

so rthy you are asking me to follow what they do with their AE71?

btw can i have a boost controller for a SC like with the turbo?

[Updated on: Sun, 07 November 2004 06:31]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Sun, 07 November 2004 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4AGZE is definately the easy way. If you do the job PROPERLY you won't have any trouble making it idle, overheat, etc. Just use your head!

No you can't have a 'boost controller'. Actually, you CAN, but it won't DO anything... (I do actually know a guy with a GZE and a turbo timer..)
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Sun, 07 November 2004 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyotakia wrote on Sun, 07 November 2004 17:25

i don't see a sigle AE71 on the street here, nor do i know if i can get parts of AE71. Friend of mine ask me to custom made the engine mount for the 4A engine.

so rthy you are asking me to follow what they do with their AE71?

btw can i have a boost controller for a SC like with the turbo?

http://www.geocities.com/rthy86/Pics/ae87_01.jpg
ae71 and ke70 r so much the same car so if u can make ur own 4a engine mounts then what are you complaining about?

anyways if u can fit a 4ac then u can fit a 4age or 4a(whatever)
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Sun, 07 November 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
again - see the PMP-80Y reference in my signature.
Acoustic
Regular

November 2003
Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Sun, 07 November 2004 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi, I've got a KE70R with 4A-G from AE101 - 20v AFM plus many other mods. Please feel free to check out my site

www.my-acoustic.com

Especially the topic/title "if do again, how?"
toyotakia
Occasional Poster

October 2004

Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Mon, 08 November 2004 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow man thanks x100,000 Acoustic Laughing i love your website. I understand your's is a GL and mine's a DX, but its probably the same except the hood and the headlight.

man your car look neat. I'll take some time to look over everything in your site.

I bet its easy for you to get parts in PJ, as i have to import most of the parts from peninsula malaysia as well like my friend (i live in kuching sarawak, damn no race track).

oh btw is that the AE101 dash you had in your car? i want it too Razz .

cheers.
Malaysia Boleh Razz

p.s. don't mind if i pm you for more info?
Acoustic
Regular

November 2003
Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Mon, 08 November 2004 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi toyotakia

Your're welcome Smile - what's your name BTW.

Take it slow and easy, I also learn allot from toy mods Smile

Yeah, not much difference between a GL vs. DX

Just for your info: -

KE70 fenders RM130 each
KE70 head lights RM60 each
KE70 small lights with frame RM30 each
KE70 brake lights RM50 each
KE70 bumper RM70 each
KE70 door panel RM50 each
KE70 door rubbers RM35 each

Get from http://www.my-acoustic.com/Car/contacts/contacts.h tm

The 1st one, bay brothers. Say I recommend. The ugly, dirty, blue KE70 modified 20v young man.

Don't PM lah, I seldom here. Try zth lah. http://www.zerotohundred.com/forums/index.php?show forum=8 All Malaysians and some Australians + Malaysian in Australia with Australian citizenship Smile

Yes, it's the AE101 dash in my car. But I've learn that AE111 dash is even smaller and would not take up space Sad - arrrghh regret now.
toyotakia
Occasional Poster

October 2004

Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Mon, 08 November 2004 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool i'll visit there, but i'll be here until i finish my car, since i might go to australia for studies or work in the future, best make some friends first. Razz

btw i'm a computer guy not a mech, and i'm 11 years younger than you, still studying, unless i get into local Uni or i'll have a hardtime saving money for the mods, gotta study hard (and do modifying research at the same time)
Teddy_Csx
Regular

On Probation

January 2004
Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Mon, 08 November 2004 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man

Well, in australia we got the different models to you as you already know, but i thought this may help you anway !

i wrote this article a lil while ago

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic =1389

Hope it helps ! - its allll in there !

Cheers
toyotakia
Occasional Poster

October 2004

Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Tue, 09 November 2004 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks teddy. The first pic of a KE70 is exactly the same as mine, down to the black line across the body. only thing different is i got a rubber protector along the car's body. and the rim Razz
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Tue, 09 November 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the ae71 look phatter with the stock rims (5") unlike the ke70 4" Confused but hubcaps can fix that Cool
toyotakia
Occasional Poster

October 2004

Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Tue, 09 November 2004 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm uploading pics pretty soon... come back in and hour and i'll put some pic up. using photo bucket.. first time upload pic to a image hosting service, have to learn.. Razz
toyotakia
Occasional Poster

October 2004

Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Tue, 09 November 2004 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm back.. with some pic. Sorry i'm no expert in using photoshop or whatever image editing software to edit pics so i use MS paint to do it.. and pardon my little cheap camera.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/SilverArrowZ/ke70.jpg
My KE70

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/SilverArrowZ/ke70front.jpg
The front

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/SilverArrowZ/ke70rear.jpg
The Rear

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/SilverArrowZ/DX5speed.jpg
Corolla DX 5 speed

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/SilverArrowZ/stockmuffler.jpg
Stock muffler, and the bog warmer thingy rear axle (i guess, U series)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/SilverArrowZ/tirefront.jpg
front 185/60R13 tire, JRD deep dish, forgive my camera

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/SilverArrowZ/tireback.jpg
rear 215/50R13 yokohama

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/SilverArrowZ/4k.jpg
little 4K, overhauled once

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/SilverArrowZ/dash.jpg
the dashboard

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/SilverArrowZ/centerconsole.jpg
pretty much stock, Sony Xplode

toyotakia
Occasional Poster

October 2004

Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Tue, 09 November 2004 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
two more...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/SilverArrowZ/dashmeter.jpg
look.. no tacho

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/SilverArrowZ/hood.jpg
just washed.. pretty clean i guess...
Teddy_Csx
Regular

On Probation

January 2004
Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Tue, 09 November 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whata tank !

Great car!! love the wide wheels!

Really intresting to see how ure interiour is slightly different to ours Very Happy - id assume all the parts would be interchangable !

Keep up updated Smile

Oh 1 other thing, whats the compression of that 4k? ive got a feeling urs would be like a 9.0 : 1 where as over here i think* its 8.5 : 1 - but i could be wrong !

Cya !
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Wed, 10 November 2004 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyotakia, ru frm sabah, sarawak or brunei? The cheapest way in malaysia is to just get a 4age halfcut and transfer everything over. If u still want to go with 4agze, sell ur 4age frm halfcut and get gze.

If u frm sabah, theres a workshop there with a yellow trueno drag car running 4age turbo. Fastest in the country last time i heard.

Btw, dont forget to strengthen the chasis. Every dude with a 4age upwards in that will definately wanna go sideways Cool Cool
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Wed, 10 November 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wat size are the mags? looks pritty phat Shocked

oh yeah and nice mudflaps!
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Wed, 10 November 2004 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i want your rear wing!!! damn they are hard to find!! ure car looks sweet as man, good luck with the eng conversion. Same colour as my KE70 Very Happy
toyotakia
Occasional Poster

October 2004

Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Thu, 11 November 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Oh 1 other thing, whats the compression of that 4k? ive got a feeling urs would be like a 9.0 : 1 where as over here i think* its 8.5 : 1 - but i could be wrong !

Yes its 9.0:1 com ratio. For what i know 4K come with 9.0:1 com ratio and 4K-C come with 8.5:1 com ratio. So that means you guys get the 4K-C.

Quote:

toyotakia, ru frm sabah, sarawak or brunei? The cheapest way in malaysia is to just get a 4age halfcut and transfer everything over. If u still want to go with 4agze, sell ur 4age frm halfcut and get gze.

If u frm sabah, theres a workshop there with a yellow trueno drag car running 4age turbo. Fastest in the country last time i heard.

Btw, dont forget to strengthen the chasis. Every dude with a 4age upwards in that will definately wanna go sideways

I'm from Kuching Sarawak. After a few days of discussion with my friend i kinda want to get the AE101 supercharge's halfcut, and swap everything over. The crossmember and the rear axle i might look for the one from AE86 or maybe others, the T series axle should be okay with small amount of boost.

I don't need the fastest car in the world, just need some great torque and hp at usable range. Hear the engine scream at 10k rpm is nice but reving up there to get the power on the road is gonna attract traffic police Confused .

Quote:

wat size are the mags? looks pritty phat

mags? Question

Quote:

i want your rear wing!!! damn they are hard to find!

They are OEM spoiler of the old old (and when i say old i mean old) Proton Saga aeroback. Those from malaysia should know. I go to an accessory store to look for one, they told me this is a reconditioned one, and cost damn cheap, yet look good on my car so i just get it. It cost me RM90 only (about 31 AUD). I didn't know its from the old proton saga until i saw more than one of them have the same spoiler.
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Thu, 11 November 2004 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As you can see, this is tyres + mags

front 185/60R13 tire, JRD deep dish, forgive my camera
rear 215/50R13 yokohama

just looks mad as Smile i love it
toyotakia
Occasional Poster

October 2004

Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Thu, 11 November 2004 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oic.. never use the term "mags" before hehehe..

it doesn't help anything but increase grip, i can corner faster in these than the stock tires but as usual major body roll
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Thu, 11 November 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what size is the wheel, not tyre (as u have already stated)
13"x7"?
toyotakia
Occasional Poster

October 2004

Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Thu, 11 November 2004 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes its 13"x7"
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Thu, 11 November 2004 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=toyotakia wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 12:39]
Quote:

I don't need the fastest car in the world, just need some great torque and hp at usable range. Hear the engine scream at 10k rpm is nice but reving up there to get the power on the road is gonna attract traffic police Confused .

what traffic police? RM 30 can settle things mar. Start swaeating if u see JPJ though. But dont think they'll bother with an old "junk" like urs. keep ur engine cover dirty and ull be fine with them as long as u dont drive proton or honda Cool
toyotakia
Occasional Poster

October 2004

Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Fri, 12 November 2004 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

RM 30 can settle things mar

woi~ me good kid lar.. btw i thought need at least RM50 Razz

Quote:

an old "junk" like urs

old junk??!! Mad

Quote:

keep ur engine cover dirty

last time too dirty the traffic police stop me and check and ask me if i stole the car from somewhere (not the jpj, just the police) Confused
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Tue, 14 December 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any updates dude? I have a 1984 KE70 now Smile
Newest pic: http://users.tpg.com.au/phrost22/ke70/newrims.jpg
As you can see, '84 model had the flat headlights Very Happy

Anyway I wanna hear more about ures dude!

Kev.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Tue, 14 December 2004 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first, you don't have "bog warmer" diff. it has a bolt on plate at the back, whereas you have a front loader (jap/banjo style). what is the diff code on your firewall?
is it an S or T series?

and "Mags", comes from when rims were originally made from 'magnesium', but most 'mags' are made of aluminium, and so are inappropriately named.. proper mags you don't want to get near salt water Wink

Cya, Stewart
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Tue, 14 December 2004 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats some serious rubber for a 4k, my sis has a 4kc in a ke70, and it only has retreads and will not spin the wheels
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Wed, 15 December 2004 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a way to drift in a ke70 with 4k/4kc, even in the dry no matter what wheels/tyres you have. Meet my friend, sir compression lock Very Happy.

Puts really bad stress on your driveline, but if your doing a conversion and dont really mind the k series driveline being destroyed (takes a hell of alot of time to destroy..) then just go down a road in third gear at about 60kmph, press the clutch, put it in second, start to turn a corner and once u reach the apex dump the clutch. Obviously the revs go up fatally high and your back wheels go absolutely psycho. Hours of fun for the whole family Very Happy.

Can also be done in other gears with different combinations, just never try dropping two gears... as you will most likely hear your driveline go CLUNK and then your engine go fffffttt BANG. Laughing

Kev.
toyotakia
Occasional Poster

October 2004

Re: KE70r mods, need verification & tips Tue, 21 December 2004 17:06 Go to previous message
nothing much yet... my computer is about to be at the end of its life, have to spend some on the computer too.

so far do some DIY stuff on the car, plan to do a complete conversion from an AE86 halfcut, reason 1, its cheaper, cuz i'm broke, reason 2, its a good base for further modification, and i can learn more that way, i think...

life's tough.. so much stuff happened since i last posted here. but one thing for sure the conversion is going to happen sooner or later. you can't expect a 4K engine to go 40 years straight.. 24 year is good enough. kinda sad to throw it away or something if i really do the mod, its still running smooth but not strong.

btw my rear axle have the code U2xx something at the firewall. whats that?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1G-G with 3 sidedrafts?
Next Topic:Celica st184 auto to manual conversion?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:27:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0093998908996582 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.