Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » NEED ADVISE! 1JZGTE into MX73.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
13B_Turbo_626
Newcomer

October 2002
NEED ADVISE! 1JZGTE into MX73. Mon, 21 October 2002 05:33 Go to next message
G'day fellas,

I'm new to this forum, I was recommended by somebody in performance forums that most of you guys are good blokes and that some of you might be able to help me with a few questions.

I'm not here to waste anyones time, I am seriously considering doing a 1JZGTE engine conversion into my run around MX73 Cressida. The 5MGE shit itself (300,000kms so I cant complain)and I have been quoted a fair bit for replacement engines and rebuilds.

I thought it would be a good excuse to transplant something with a little more power under the bonnet and I have been told the 1JZGTE is a bulletproof reliable engine. I was quite surprised and impressed to read that so many people have converted their Cressida's too more powerful engines.

I don't have really have too much concern with physically mounting the engine and components as I want to get a frontcut and just swap everything over. But I have heard that you can run into electrical problems and this is what concerns me the most.

I also want to do the whole conversion for around $2500 - $3000, an absolute budget conversion. I want to keep the engine relatively stock.

Do you guys have any advise that might be able to steer me in the right direction? Do you think this is a realistic approach and a realistic budget?

Any advise would be much appreciated, I want to do the conversion pretty soon as its my run around and the Mazda is a bitch on the fuel. Smile

Thanks dudes.
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: NEED ADVISE! 1JZGTE into MX73. Mon, 21 October 2002 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PM Luke (Thunderbird1)....he has done this.
13B_Turbo_626
Newcomer

October 2002
Re: NEED ADVISE! 1JZGTE into MX73. Mon, 21 October 2002 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I messaged Thunderbird1 in performance forums, haven't gotten a reply yet, does he come on often?

Re: NEED ADVISE! 1JZGTE into MX73. Mon, 21 October 2002 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you got a good set of Cans ??

Luke can be assuredto come on strongif that is the case !!
Razz

Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: NEED ADVISE! 1JZGTE into MX73. Mon, 21 October 2002 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I also want to do the whole conversion for around $2500 - $3000, an absolute budget conversion. I want to keep the engine relatively stock.

that will barely get u a front cut, most go for 2200 +
then, exhaust, drive shaft modded (lengthen/shorten) - cost = roughly $210 + uni joints if needed radiator hoses, oils, intake hoses (which will be modded for intercooler later), etc

so, better rebudget

a lot cheaper if u do ALL work yourself too
13B_Turbo_626
Newcomer

October 2002
Re: NEED ADVISE! 1JZGTE into MX73. Tue, 22 October 2002 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the advise, we are basically going to do all the work. My old man works at a smash repairs and we did the 626 conversion entirely ourselves but this seems like a whole different ball game. Smile

I wanted to get in touch with someone that has done the conversion before. That way I'll know if there are any problems that I might run into eg. tailshaft length. Only someone that has done the conversion would know these things.

I didn't really want to spend more than $3000 maximum.
edzv6fj
Newcomer

October 2002
Re: NEED ADVISE! 1JZGTE into MX73. Tue, 22 October 2002 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grab a copy of zoom magazine at the newsagent and check out the back issues. About 2 or 3 issues back a guy did exactly that - and it was fairly staright forward and factory looking!
13B_Turbo_626
Newcomer

October 2002
Re: NEED ADVISE! 1JZGTE into MX73. Wed, 23 October 2002 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is that the Silver MX73 in Zoom 54? Bloody nice car, I'm just not sure how similiar the converion is with the MX73 model. The article doesn't go into too much detail but his conversion looked relatively straight forward, apart from the dash and a few other things.

If we had the time, we would just do the converion anyway and work through any problems as we go on. But I need the car back on the road within the next two weeks. I only want to do the swap if its straight forward with little hassles.

I guess I'll wait for thunderbird1 to come on as he'd be the one that will know for sure.

Does anyone know if somebody else has done a 1JZGTE into an MX73 coversion?

Thanks dudes.
sprite
Occasional Poster

September 2002
Re: NEED ADVISE! 1JZGTE into MX73. Wed, 23 October 2002 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I helped thunderbird 1 with the conversion and made up the hardware. The engine mounts on the crossmember need to be changed, I welded plates onto them to match up the 1J mounts, however the mounts on an MX83 are the same as a 1J so a set of those could be welded on( maybe an MX 83 crossmember may fit.)
The tailshaft needs to changed in length but the rear crossmember will fit up. I cut out holes to fit pipes through the front for a large intercooler and the battery was moved,however you could possibly leave the battery in place. The wiring needs a bit of work but Moss converted Luke's car and can do it for a fee if you are in Sydney.
Hope this is of some help
Robbo
13B_Turbo_626
Newcomer

October 2002
Re: NEED ADVISE! 1JZGTE into MX73. Wed, 23 October 2002 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate, thanks alot for that. Im not concerned with the mounting, we'll work that out, we made our own custom mounts with the 626 conversion.

Was the tailshaft shortened? Did you guys use the standard fuel pump, or a 1JZGTE pump?

It does seem to be pretty straight forward, especially if somebody is willing to modify the loom for a fee!

I might have to start hunting for a suitable front cut then, is there a particular model frontcut that I should look for?

Again, thanks a lot mate I really appreciate it.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 October 2002 02:00]

Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: NEED ADVISE! 1JZGTE into MX73. Wed, 23 October 2002 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have done, and been involved in, a number of 1J conversions. MX73, MX83, RA23 and RA28. To do the conversion effectively your budget is a little unrealistic as parts alone will be more than $3000. However, if you are serious and would like to find out more please give me a call on 0409 572904 as I am more than happy to run you through the conversion.

Grant
13B_Turbo_626
Newcomer

October 2002
Re: NEED ADVISE! 1JZGTE into MX73. Thu, 24 October 2002 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I am serious about the conversion, I hope to do it very soon. I will ring you first though, if it seems achievable i'll do it.

Thanks.
13B_Turbo_626
Newcomer

October 2002
Re: NEED ADVISE! 1JZGTE into MX73. Thu, 24 October 2002 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im having a bit of trouble finding a chaser frontcut in Sydney, most places say that I'll have to waite a month or two, which is too long. I guess I should have done a little research first.
sprite
Occasional Poster

September 2002
Re: NEED ADVISE! 1JZGTE into MX73. Thu, 24 October 2002 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't remember about the tailshaft length but I think shorter. The wiring change isn't free but very reasonable as it has been done before. You need to get in contact with thunderbird 1 but he is very busy.
I will ask him for you when I ring him next.
thunderbird1
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: NEED ADVISE! 1JZGTE into MX73. Thu, 24 October 2002 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked Sorry guys... been busy and havn't seen this post.

1st : $3k No way ( you could make that a song )

2nd : tail shaft had to go 60mm shorter on mine but i would be measuring that once it is in. You wanna measure twice and cut once. unlike me, i measured once and cut twice!! hehe

3rd : Robbo (sprite) has basically filled in all the things that took time. He was a master on the engine mounts and Mos did the wiring. Don't know how busy mos is but i'd recommend either emailing him or talk to Sixworks (done heaps of these) who can take your loom and send it back to you ready to go.

4th : I'm using a 2jzgte fuel pump from a 2J supra. This is an intank pump and seems to deliever enough fuel. Didn't take much work to get it in, i just had to modify the stem it sits on a little bit.

If you only have 3k, save up. You will need more.

*Motor + Box - $2000 (best price at moment)
*Exhaust - $800 (3 inch with a cat - You can leave your standard exhaust and join it up but you will choke it to death!
*Tail Shaft Mod - $200
There is 3k without even adding all the bits. The bits are what adds up. Before you can start it you will need to hook up things like power steering pump's, loop them if not using them and hook up a tranny cooler, intercooler ($1000 if your serious) , little fittings, hoses, fuel hose, fuel filter, expect to spend at least another $500-$1000 on just bits and pieces. It all adds up.

If your cluey, it won't be too much work. But at the minimum, with intercooler included in your front cut for $2500, expect to spend another $1500.

Luke
13B_Turbo_626
Newcomer

October 2002
Re: NEED ADVISE! 1JZGTE into MX73. Sun, 27 October 2002 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the advise mate, on the weekend another 5MGE went back in.

I might just leave the conversion till the mazda is completely finished, I couldn't afford to have the car off the road for too much longer.

I'll probably end up doing the conversion some time next year.

Is there a website with pics of your car, in particular the engine bay?

Again thanks for your time dudes.
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: NEED ADVISE! 1JZGTE into MX73. Mon, 28 October 2002 13:05 Go to previous message
LUKE you forgot to add the $1,000 a year on diffs .. Laughing

P.s you can get a 500 h.p intank pump from the states for around $250 .this will fit the mx73

Also dont forget the $500 or so for wiring
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HELP 4agze crank angle sensor
Next Topic:Progress pic of 1UZ conversion...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:24:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044541358947754 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.